Why The Rabbit Population Collapse?

This year our bit of land produced good numbers, some showed signs of fighting of myxi but the previous year there was very poor so we went else where.on this same land there are some massive burys that we never do leaving to over populate and then fill the smaller easier ones. Myxi constantly mutates to a stronger strain that initially wipes out big numbers then rabbits slowly build up amunity and so the cycle continues . So the numbers go up and down year after year. Now I might be talking out my rusty bullet hole here, if so please correct me.

Did anyone ever vaccinate wild rabbits against myxi and rhd, and then release them?
Not sure about that one mate
if the mixi mutates it would be hard to vacinate against as next season it would be a new strain and vacation would then be out dated...
No two ways about it, it's a wicked one made by some evil b*****ds, as for this vhd one not sure how wide spread that is, I was told it kills all in less than 48 hours and that most die underground, differcult to know what's going on with that one if that's true, where as mixi is easy to see.

Just had a google man made disease first reported in 1992 f***ing c**ts

This is making for quite a depressing post :(

Edited by Chaff

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tjones and d lyod caught them all

So it's acceptable to kill over a hundred a night with a lurcher, but not with a rifle? FFS get real they are all dead and it does not matter how.   TC

And we all know the lurcher lads respect seasons.

800 fuckkng hares shot and they say the ban is good for protection of them. Ffs

The ban has nothing to do with animal welfare either wild or domesticated

What's it all about then low plains drifter just a political thing to win a few more votes maybe ?

• Like 1

What's it all about then low plains drifter just a political thing to win a few more votes maybe ?

Money & personal gain for politicians, nothing else.

That's it mate piss and wind politics, wonder how many of these desk boys have ever had a walk across the windy land

It was to distract the public away from the Iraq war

It was to distract the public away from the Iraq war

the £1,000,000 + from PAL would have helped to!

Lets face it lads our sports on rabbits is f****d.i dnt think they will ever get bk to good numbers by where i live anyway.that been hit to hard with guns and lurchers.dnt forget terriers and the ferreting man.being hunted day and night.i hope they do come bk and we can carry on doin what we love but i ent holding me breath.

in all fairness what pratty said could be thought provoking ! they are hit from all sides now, and more and more people are coming into the sport they are most peoples introduction to field sports being relatively cheap and easy to accsess plus all the environmental pressures man made and otherwise it aint good for them and us !!

Everyone needs to leave it all for 2 -3 years and take sensible amounts not hundreds a season. That's probably what fucks it, people taking way too much.

agree ,but aint going to happen theres to much greed now !!!!!! would be interesting to know just how many are taken now compared to say 10 years back ,never going to be possible but interesting !

Everyone needs to leave it all for 2 -3 years and take sensible amounts not hundreds a season. That's probably what fucks it, people taking way too much.

agree ,but aint going to happen theres to much greed now !!!!!! would be interesting to know just how many are taken now compared to say 10 years back ,never going to be possible but interesting !

Well ten or more years ago my mate went for a nights shooting rabbits with his new night scope he soon realised he was shooting fresh molehills, and said what a load of bollox it was, but today is a different story too easy imo. Part of me thinks leave them be the other says take them and eat em before this vhd comes around.