Why The Rabbit Population Collapse?

There is not too many farmers that will let you shoot land containing stock, especially with the reputation the rifle boys have for killing or wounding farm animals, a trustworthy man and dog is safest way to go, it can be physically demanding unlike pulling a trigger but real men just get on with it.

3000 acres on one perm.

2000 acres on another,

1500 on another,

800 on another ,

1000 on another

and all stock farms

only one is crops

just me my mate and our rifles

so stick that in your pipe and smoke it

Funny mind never ever wounded any stock in all the years of shooting

but iv saw plenty of damage done by 4x4,s that have drove through fences , hedges, and the like so they can let there dogs off to chase hairs

im not saying its all the lads but a few do so dont just call us shooters as your not squeaky clean your self's

iv got one perm where the farmer wants all the hairs shot just because of this damage

the funny thing is he dose not lock the gates on any of his fields

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

lets be honest here a gun in good hands, will wipe a field out with game = 200yds fox/deer, 100yds rabbits+ hares , where for a good lurcher that's knows the crack might do 100 yds , but as still got to catch it, and some stuff gets away for another day. :yes: This why its hard at times to get on ground with a lurcher, more so if the keeper been out with a gun man, he will see how effective guns can be, so want need any lurcher blokes on his ground, a dog carnt compete with a gun. I work a lurcher for the sport, not to decimate the game, and I think a lot of lurcher owners would say the same :yes:

I totally agree with you Bird.

But its not as easy as you think you just dont point and shoot a hell of a lot of field craft comes into it to

and you have to make sure there is a back stop before you take a shot and make sure you no where the live stock is

whether its bullet or pellet .

and every hunting sport has its bad apples even shooting

out of likes to so a :thumbs: will have to do for now

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tjones and d lyod caught them all

So it's acceptable to kill over a hundred a night with a lurcher, but not with a rifle? FFS get real they are all dead and it does not matter how.   TC

And we all know the lurcher lads respect seasons.

There is not too many farmers that will let you shoot land containing stock, especially with the reputation the rifle boys have for killing or wounding farm animals, a trustworthy man and dog is safest way to go, it can be physically demanding unlike pulling a trigger but real men just get on with it.

All my permissions are in close proximity to livestock mostly horses, sheep. At one place, I shoot rats that are drinking from a pond....as are the farmers ducks and geese, I've never hit one and barely disturb the drinking livestock.

also I never see a lot of lads who shoot take big numbers ..I couldn't think of anything nor boring than sitting there on a cold night waiting to pop a few bunny's of. .

They might not take big numbers but they don't respect seasons either, they firing all year long.

Seasons? What seasons?? Are you confusing the culling of animals such as Deer with the extermination of rabbits which most landowners request? There are no sessions with pigeon, rabbit of rats, they are shot all year round.

And i never leave any thing lying with a big hole in its chest every thing is fetched home and turn,d into food whether its for us or my sons dogs(lurchers)

I never said "all shooters leave hares lying to rot" mate, but some do...............Not everybody with a 4x4 and a lurcher drives fields do they, but some do...........Iv'e no time for either, both do us no favours.

• Like 2

And i never leave any thing lying with a big hole in its chest every thing is fetched home and turn,d into food whether its for us or my sons dogs(lurchers)

I never said "all shooters leave hares lying to rot" mate, but some do...............Not everybody with a 4x4 and a lurcher drives fields do they, but some do...........Iv'e no time for either, both do us no favours.

Like iv say.d there are bad apples in all hunting sports and its them that gives us all a bad name

To tell you the truth id rather leave the hairs alone as they do no harm but im there to do a job but its what he wants

and if we dont do it he will just get some one else in to do it any way

But i do tend to walk past a good few ;)

3000 acres on one perm.

2000 acres on another,

1500 on another,

800 on another ,

1000 on another

and all stock farms

only one is crops

just me my mate and our rifles

so stick that in your pipe and smoke it

Funny mind never ever wounded any stock in all the years of shooting

but iv saw plenty of damage done by 4x4,s that have drove through fences , hedges, and the like so they can let there dogs off to chase hairs

im not saying its all the lads but a few do so dont just call us shooters as your not squeaky clean your self's

iv got one perm where the farmer wants all the hairs shot just because of this damage

the funny thing is he dose not lock the gates on any of his fields

lets be honest here a gun in good hands, will wipe a field out with game = 200yds fox/deer, 100yds rabbits+ hares , where for a good lurcher that's knows the crack might do 100 yds , but as still got to catch it, and some stuff gets away for another day. :yes: This why its hard at times to get on ground with a lurcher, more so if the keeper been out with a gun man, he will see how effective guns can be, so want need any lurcher blokes on his ground, a dog carnt compete with a gun. I work a lurcher for the sport, not to decimate the game, and I think a lot of lurcher owners would say the same :yes:

I totally agree with you Bird.

But its not as easy as you think you just dont point and shoot a hell of a lot of field craft comes into it to

and you have to make sure there is a back stop before you take a shot and make sure you no where the live stock is

whether its bullet or pellet .

and every hunting sport has its bad apples even shooting

out of likes to so a :thumbs: will have to do for now

:thumbs:

How many shooters come on here bragging about 100+ nights though? I've never seen one.

This is the lurcher section, that might be the reason. :whistling:

Excuse me Mr Pedantic. How many shooters come on THL site in general and bump their gums about 100+ nights?

doesnt take a clever man to shoot a hundred rabbits if there there takes acleverer man to school a dog to do it , a gun doesnt breathe , you dont need to feed him train him school him , any juck can get a licence ,road side and shoot game , dogs its alot harder at times

• Like 2

doesnt take a clever man to shoot a hundred rabbits if there there takes acleverer man to school a dog to do it , a gun doesnt breathe , you dont need to feed him train him school him , any juck can get a licence ,road side and shoot game , dogs its alot harder at times

Do you have to 'school' a dog to take 100 rabbits? Or just know where to go?

I did 44 with a rescue lurcher off preloved. Her recall was mediocre at best and retrieve non existent.

And we only stopped because both our rucksacks were full. We could of easily dropped at the motor and done the same again. Dog was just getting started. I just didn't see the point? Maybe I aren't keen enough. Lol.

• Like 3

How many shooters come on here bragging about 100+ nights though? I've never seen one.

This is the lurcher section, that might be the reason. :whistling:

Excuse me Mr Pedantic. How many shooters come on THL site in general and bump their gums about 100+ nights?

It would be nothing to brag about, it's just pest control & it's easy. A hobby gamekeeper I worked with did it regularly. He supplied the zoo with rifle shot rabbits. A 100 was his target for the evening..........I do remember him saying he was running out of decent places to get those numbers, I can't think why?? Haha....

.....but don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's any better to go out & catch a hundred with dogs. Especially when numbers could be in decline.......that doesn't impress me either.

Edited by Accip74

very true unless you are only visiting now and then i hunt two three times a week weather permiting , and try for twenty a day , mores a bonus less ille not cry twenty five mins from house , what i dont like peole killing with guns for game to be destroyed thats an offence in my eyes , unless inedible qaurry saw guys shoot hundreds just left them for the buzzards real bad