Season End,

When I bump into shooters around here they all complain about lamp shy foxes.

I'd love to tell them that foxes are not born lamp shy, they're made. It's the same boys complaining that are the very ones who are talking, smoking, slamming car doors and hunting up wind that are causing the shyness. Keep at it lads.

Those who lamp around here tell me that in a night you could bump into other crews of lads regularly.

That much lampers should mean = no foxes.

But the truth is it's the opposite.

I've always said lamping foxes for the sake of just getting out of the house is a cowboys sport, I think I'm right.

• Like 3

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Properly conducted terrier work has never in the last 200 years been in a better position than it is now... it has hard working dedicated federations with many individual WTC all over the U.K. & E

If it wasn't for Barrie Wade and his team we'd have no terrier work

Amen to that although i think his job is going to get harder every year , every so often some wanker makes a remark on face book page (maybe a anti) about how no one working there dogs right, and the

Posted Images

Do the rifle boys attract the same attention from antis as other groups, genuine question?

The most humane and selective way to control pests is with working terriers. The houndmen know this fact, the Gunmen know this fact, the Government know this fact and the ANTI's know this fact. That is why the method is still in place along with a lot of explaining from the men that help protect our interests to people that know little about what we practice.

I would hazard a guess and estimate that more foxes have been killed post ban than pre ban. Well done the ANTI's and Animal Rights know it all's............. ?????

Mary, What type dogs do you keep and what do you work them on? Genuine Question.

Corkman, i have a mixed kennel consisting of 3 lurchers(one retired), couple of bushing terriers(mongrels) and a red fell type for earthwork, i'm only interested in fox and rabbits.

Exactly,certainly not due to gamekeepers! 5 feet down.... how many gamekeepers do you know that regularly work there terriers?? and are members of the likes off N.W.T.F , I.W.T.F?? If you had a litter of pups, how many would you gift a pup too?? knowing the right thing would be done by it an it gets plenty of work?? Not many I bet. I have been in keepering 8 or so years now and i don't know 1.

Exactly,certainly not due to gamekeepers! 5 feet down.... how many gamekeepers do you know that regularly work there terriers?? and are members of the likes off N.W.T.F , I.W.T.F?? If you had a litter of pups, how many would you gift a pup too?? knowing the right thing would be done by it an it gets plenty of work?? Not many I bet. I have been in keepering 8 or so years now and i don't know 1.

I've been keeping 17 years now and probably know of 8 die hard terrier keepers but I keep my circle of keeper friends small because it's the biggest bitching back stabbing industry there is!

My statement remember if it wasn't for keepers terrier work would be gone. I ment terrier work is legal for the gamekeepers except to protect game birds! So you statement is quite a stupid one cos with out gamekeepers there wouldn't be an exempt would there clever cloggs

Not trying to be clever.just saying it as I see it. The great opinions of the dog game eh. Least we can agree on the industry being a back stabbing one.

ATB

• Like 1

All the agricultural and hunting scene is full of back stabbers and fuckwits that either want your dog, land or job.

And yet I've had a good life, I've enjoyed the company of good men, better dogs and I'm still here with all the hoops we have to jump through.

• Like 5

Properly conducted terrier work has never in the last 200 years been in a better position than it is now... it has hard working dedicated federations with many individual WTC all over the U.K. & EIRE with only the working terrier in mind... they are smart federations with working terrier men forming working terrier clubs meeting the appropriate authorities and giving them honest answers as to how properly conducted terrier work is carried out with the terrier and quarry both being treated with upmost respect and its working.... as I have said many times... when you explain the necessity first of all then the simplicity and the respect that passionate federations have not only for there terriers but for the very fox itself...when you explain calmly and precisely why wildlife management has to take place... members in authority suddenly see not a maraude of men with a pile of terrier's on a lead. they see a federation with working terrier clubs with folk who sign a code of conduct and who loves to see foxes in the countryside, because they then know the countryside is healthy, but when a fox starts taking livestock and poultry from humans then they are predators predating on some ones food or lively hood so have to be controlled... hounds can draw all day and not find...because the fox will be holed up somewhere confident and confined in their burrow...a hound cold marks...whats the call...for terrier man...farmers set necklaces try lamping at night still cant get him... call a terrier man...show him the lay of the land and where last seen the predator...few hours later job done...fox had a belly full of poultry or lamb or piglet and laid up in a hole... only terrier can find him.... this has been happening for over 200 years...and will continue if everyone involved in terrier work has the same path...and that is too continue a fieldcraft that is totally humane and organic... its 2016 folk need to unite not fight!

good read ,if only every body thought this way :thumbs:

• Like 2

Properly conducted terrier work has never in the last 200 years been in a better position than it is now... it has hard working dedicated federations with many individual WTC all over the U.K. & EIRE with only the working terrier in mind... they are smart federations with working terrier men forming working terrier clubs meeting the appropriate authorities and giving them honest answers as to how properly conducted terrier work is carried out with the terrier and quarry both being treated with upmost respect and its working.... as I have said many times... when you explain the necessity first of all then the simplicity and the respect that passionate federations have not only for there terriers but for the very fox itself...when you explain calmly and precisely why wildlife management has to take place... members in authority suddenly see not a maraude of men with a pile of terrier's on a lead. they see a federation with working terrier clubs with folk who sign a code of conduct and who loves to see foxes in the countryside, because they then know the countryside is healthy, but when a fox starts taking livestock and poultry from humans then they are predators predating on some ones food or lively hood so have to be controlled... hounds can draw all day and not find...because the fox will be holed up somewhere confident and confined in their burrow...a hound cold marks...whats the call...for terrier man...farmers set necklaces try lamping at night still cant get him... call a terrier man...show him the lay of the land and where last seen the predator...few hours later job done...fox had a belly full of poultry or lamb or piglet and laid up in a hole... only terrier can find him.... this has been happening for over 200 years...and will continue if everyone involved in terrier work has the same path...and that is too continue a fieldcraft that is totally humane and organic... its 2016 folk need to unite not fight!

its all well and good posting it here and i agree with it all ,but your preaching to the converted and maybe a anti or two may take some notice , no they wont , people need to get up to speed sites like this is not where its going on Facebook is where the terrier feds need pages and members putting people to task about the photos they are posting publicly condemning them myself and other who post here do this,Mr Cashmore pulled some one up for keeping there dogs in filthy conditions just the other day ,but it would be better coming from people from the federations, lets shame them out of the game or at least stop them posting these photos because they will spell the end of us

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 9

its all well and good posting it here and i agree with it all ,but your preaching to the converted and maybe a anti or two may take some notice , no they wont , people need to get up to speed sites like this is not where its going on Facebook is where the terrier feds need pages and members putting people to task about the photos they are posting publicly condemning them myself and other who post here do this,Mr Cashmore pulled some one up for keeping there dogs in filthy conditions just the other day ,but it would be better coming from people from the federations, lets shame them out of the game or at least stop them posting these photos because they will spell the end of us

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

the first step in my opinion is to stop ridiculing whats seen as lesser breeds in the working terrier world. and stop slating show folk that keep showdogs. dont decry the people that like to own a jack or border as a pet. these folk have a liking of terriers and like the history behind there little tykes . so what if they are sat on velvet cushions and eating chicken liver. these folk could be allies, so why do we shun them and alienate ourselves. we should be pulling them to our bussum. they are numbers that are on side or at least swaying to our side.

put away the macho atitude leave the tackity boots at home next to your best workers and take your family to the odd show this summer and start to educate the fence sitters. that is called pro active. the other side have it down to a fine art. you could also spend a pound for a good cause :thumbs:

• Like 6

Good couple of posts above and all correct, if we keep contained and do not expand then it's over, new blood is needed in terriers and people that own work them, even if they don't hunt them they'll see traits and instincts in them and be less alarmed when they see working dogs, and by being friendly and inviting them to family days at fairs lets them see it's not what the antis are saying that were all unapproachable blood thirsty maniacs, a lot more high profile charity fund raisers could do wonders too, get good promo in the tabloids

Edited by Lenmcharristar
  • Like 2