The Real Devil Within.

Rosette hunting..... Dress the part

Look the part... An chat the chat.

Multiple dogs of all types in pristine condition an groomed to perfection.

The judge picked because he has smart terriers.

These are the pretenders that are a danger to terrier lines old and new.

I have my opinion , ...what about all of you ????????.

post-101513-0-33292200-1453937773_thumb.jpeg

The very last Llangollen show ,when all judges really did work the dogs.

• Like 19

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take them for what they are, time to catch up and have the craic

Nah shows and rosette I believe give a positive image to people that are not into terrier work , I've never took them seriously enough to worry about wether they're a bad thing . For me " The Real D

Rosette hunting..... Dress the part Look the part... An chat the chat. Multiple dogs of all types in pristine condition an groomed to perfection. The judge

Posted Images

I went to most of the llangollen shows for the craic and meet old friends,also liked to see the standards of different terriers on show but never showed a terrier or lurcher myself, I don't think I ever even took a dog there, met some great lads there though and some are still friends today,shows are a social occasion and not to be taken serious but I have seen lads fighting over daft stuff, Plucky

• Like 3

Seen the well known guys decades ago, some were terrier men, but the posing, smart looking dogs of lots of them, breeding and thinking the were more important than every one else, fk the had shit dogs if it was known in truth, and the would pick the own winners, pals dogs to win, and dogs the sold them or even belonged to them, waste of time and money going to see them classes

• Like 1

You to enjoy Llangollen meet a few of the boys who actually did graft the dogs but as you said show ponies spoil a day for working dog lads more interested in pumping price of there pups up or picking there little clicks, mates stuff atb Flacko

• Like 1

Not knocking shows or there concept, more to do with breeding terriers, .we have all seen the man or woman ,win a few get the bug ...smart terriers take over the kennel. Then lads get their pups for big money an take their chance.

Untested lines bred just to win ribbons with no substance . But smart as hell. How many times have we heard, oh, I can't work em anymore because of the ban.

Haven't got a clue why this would be ina bushing post.

• Like 2

I know very well this isnt the case with everyone at shows,,but a number of years ago i was at the Great Yorkshire Show ,a lot of the well known terrier men were also in attendance,i was into black rough coated fell terriers at the time.

Anyway i got talking to this chap with one of the best looking and put together black fells i had seen for some time,he claimed it had won at this and that show and he may be selling it as he had done it all with it,I said "i may be interested

in buying it and had it done any work ?"...............he replied "its to good looking to work you need a rough/scruffy dog for working".......well in my book i dont care how smart it is, if it wants and will go to ground thats where its going,

• Like 1

It doesn't take much to see the wood from the trees. Show ponies are blatantly obvious and will try many tricks to win. Money has these types ruined. Then you have the real working dog lads out for the craic attending to support the people organising the day for whatever cause. Some have ugly yokes that look like they have been dragged through a hedge backwards and some have half decent looking animals. But both types graft and these lads don't really care who wins.......

There are still a few decent working terrier shows about with proper working dog judges. The West Meath one is a good example of a good day out with like minded people. If taken in the right manner then a nice social day out can be enjoyed like the days past.....

• Like 11

To some extent ,judges are to blame for the rise in the strive for perfection by putting up dogs that are just too perfect from known messers.I've judged a few and always try to quiz a bit whilst handling a dog .I've seen scars cut in with a razor blade then rubbed with boot polish ,honest ,just to add to already perfect image .I've seen white blazes covered in black too ,why will remain a mistery.Unfortunately the posing seems most prevelant in lakie stuff with clipped dogs on tip toe .The judge can only judge what's in front though and I cringe knowing the whole class is a farce and I've to put up a dog knowing its never seen f**k all .Some classes are straight from crufts with posing owners and dogs that automatically hold their heads up .

What's evident however is the lower profile the show ,the better standard of WORKER there is .

The lies and spin spouted around the ring is always amusing though .Huge dogs that work fox regular lol and known rosette chasers getting into all sorts of bother trying to talk hunting with a digging lad .

No names but I remember a well known chap storming out the ring late nineties, when his huge black dog wasn't placed and then slagging the judge out loud .He was told his dog was too big for regular earth work and didn't like it .That nearly ended in fists but he backed down with a trembling bottom lip lol.

As tree hands wrote ,its amazing to see the owners of decent lines fawning over winners for a lining ,that's pathetic .

• Like 6

I in joy going to shows with the family some are better than others,but it would make a welcome change to have a judge that leans toward working dogs rather than the well dressed show type plucked and cut ,even the entered classes Some have the check to enter, but never the less I still go and enjoy the day .

• Like 1