A Trip To Meath..80S

Keepers cottageattachicon.gifimage.jpeg. First night me Tilly an Paccy went lamping on the tractor, keeper was to drunk to come. attachicon.gifimage.jpeg. He ended up getting himself a lurcher,Black merle Hancock dog, Smoker.

LOL... bet you have a great many feelings reminisening over them and the journeys behind the pics... that's what terrier work all is about...as has been said and been being said for over 30 years....as long as proper terrier work is conducted then its legal!.... totally humane.... and the most species specific form of targeted control there is... non toxic... totally organic...and land bes re-instated as best they can by men who know how to wildlife manage... for free... no brainer...

• Like 7

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One final tale of the pair . Marked up a big spot just outside Nobber. Again on pachysandra "permission". Box said between 7/8ft , Tilly was on first shift .Were all heads down , when suddenly Tilly s

Feel free to contribute to the thread niel as we shared good friends in the dog world....................Freinds....passed. ....Paccy an me mate n.m. Paccy pu

. Old kizzy on left. .. Last dig with Paccy and niel , back of Pollocks graveyard.

Posted Images

Keepers cottageattachicon.gifimage.jpeg. First night me Tilly an Paccy went lamping on the tractor, keeper was to drunk to come. attachicon.gifimage.jpeg. He ended up getting himself a lurcher,Black merle Hancock dog, Smoker.

I remember that cabin well and at the time NM had a very useful border called Scamp.

I was there only a couple of years ago doing a bit for the current keeper. He's an Exmoor man and said he thought the deer on Exmoor were the biggest, until he seen the Red Deer in Meath.

Treehands, that lurcher you mentioned, Smoker, I actually bought him for Paccy.

Paccy asked me to pick him up a lurcher and I bought him at a Game Fair in Slane Castle in the early 90's.

Shortly after Paccy was driving along with Smoker sitting on the back seat when he jumped into the front, landed on Paccy, who then sailed out through the hedge and landed in a field. The car was wrote off, Smoker ran off and Paccy didn't get him back for 2 days.

Paccy was more upset about the dog than the car.

Another morning out digging Paccy was doing the driving. It was the same car, a red Peugeot, and Paccy asked me where next ?

I said straight through the next crossroads. We came to the cross and Paccy sailed right through.

I asked him did he not see the big STOP sign ?

He said "I did, but you said to go straight through".

He really didn't give a shit.

Another time we were out checking holes. Paccy's terrier was running loose and every hole we looked at looked well used.

After a while I suspected his terrier was passing game.

I said to Paccy to put his dog on a lead and I'll leave mine loose for a while.

"I would if I had a lead," said Paccy.

One last tale..

Myself and a mate went over to him one night in December and we "obtained" a couple of Salmon on a local river.

My mate was driving and after we finished we went straight to the pub and we all got drunk.

Myself and my mate decided to go home and asked what will we do with the fish, the lamp and the grape as they were all Paccys and in the back of the car.

Put them under the car he said.

So we did. We put 2 big Salmon, a lamp and a fork under the car, then got in the car and drove of.

I found out the next day that after we'd gone Paccy realised what we'd done, ran out and had to smuggle everything into the pub to hide them.

They were great days.

Edited by neil cooney
  • Like 9

When Tilly and I went over, we had an old green maestro van..no tax,mot, insurance an a tank of cherry. Enough money for the ticket and 40 pounds spends between the two of us to last four days. Anyway , the pair of us were well exited and thick as shit.... Got on the wrong boat went to the wrong port . Took a whole day making our way into Dublin an out again . Our only way point was Navan , but we met up with the keeper in the end after a 19hr trip. Paccy turned up in a puegot to go lamping in one night , no glass one door an stuck in third gear. Me an Tilly had to jump out an push regular. We gets to the spot park up outside an empty bungalow . Paccy always said "it's permission I'm always here" He pulls the battery of the car then the headlight connects them together . Then trotted off across the garden an jumped a three ft wall, all we heard was a muffled groan an thud. Poor Paccy it must of been nine ft on the other side, sprawled on the floor shining with battery acid from head to toe. Managed to get back to Niels on one headlight.

• Like 16

:laugh::laugh::laugh: , that was him all over. A complete rogue.

He was very well liked by the local foxhounds as he did a lot for them. But he still went out one night and shot 21 foxes, :laugh: .

He was a very good fly fisherman too. But that doesn't mean every trout in his freezer was hooked fair and square :laugh: .

He once called to my house at Christmas and handed me a large fish wrapped in plastic. Happy Christmas he said.

I gave it to my mother as she loves salmon. She opened the bag.

It was a 12 lb Brown trout with a hole through the top of it's head :laugh: it was as tough as old boots.

We called for him one Sunday morning and ended up putting one of his terriers in a big large rambling old disused badger sett.

There was a fox in it and it went to bolt, seen a lurcher and went back in.

For the next couple of hours the fox just went round and around and around the large tubes with the terrier chasing it.

Then Paccy informed us he had a game of rugby at 1 o clock and would we drop his lurcher and terrier home when we were finished. Off he went.

As soon as he was gone I put in a second terrier and the fox was killed a few minutes later. Had to be done.

Good times.

Treehands, had you anything to do with a pair of black terriers that Paccy got from Britain in the early 90s called Max and Kizzy ?

They were unrelated and Paccy dug literally 100's of foxes with them.

• Like 4

More of a tribute to Freinds I've dug with over the years that were true terrierman by any measure . That are sadly no longer with us . My digging buddy was a scouser ,Tilly. Told me he lived on a "Farm". Some farm!!!! Some of you might recognise him in the middle.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg.

I new Christopher till very well ,g ood lad,i used go digging with his older brother , alan the 2 lads lived 4 there dogs ,thanks 4 sharing the picture mate takes me back ATB

• Like 2

In total six terriers stayed in Meath,4black 2 red , there was a kizzy puppy out of a rough black bitch also called kizzy. The red bitch in the picture with Paccy I gave to pat the farmer in pup to a red dog of mine. Two black dogs went to the keeper at Slane (Scottish). Two did go to Paccy about the time the keeper hit problems, an the chain was broke. . . You said Niels Border , think it was border cross . Second time he called a dog scamp, First scamp we lost him to ground ,Tunneled under a railway at least ten ft . I was up the tube , just got a grip of scamps back legs , one quick tug an the wind went out of my lungs in a flash. Digging buddy's well on the ball an freed me quick , but poor old scamp was later reached still clamped to his fox, Both dead .

• Like 13