Woodcock........

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A new challenge maybe?.....   Proper hard to get pics of......but I fancy trying.....   No woodock were hurt in the making of these photos....

A woodcocks nest  

my youngest bitch took this a couple of years ago, totally unhurt in the wood one freezing night; i warmed it in my jacket till i got home and took some snaps then let it go. only one i have ever caug

Posted Images

When I first started lamping, those bloody birds used to scare the sh*t out of me!

Used to get a thumping noise close by like a rabbit running away, Dog would jump in that direction, lamp on and nothing there? like some sort of ghost Rabbit!

Sure I've got a vid somewhere of me lamping one that was hunkered down accidentally.

Squatter. But with little or no wind, they were getting up and gone asap.... Took pics of five tonight on just one field......I know quite a few woodcock feeding fields around me....they have two things in common; they're grass and they're the highest fields in the area......

post-16-0-53223200-1450397152_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Squatter. But with little or no wind, they were getting up and gone asap.... Took pics of five tonight on just one field......I know quite a few woodcock feeding fields around me....they have two things in common; they're grass and they're the highest fields in the area......

Until you said that I didnt realise...But were I see them most when lamping is the high up grass fields :victory:

• Like 1

My young bitch was hunting them up in the rough grass on the hill where we go walking the other week, they make their beds on higher ground when the fields get too wet

They roost in daylight , mostly in woodland. It is uncommon to see woodcock in the daytime in fields. I think I've only seen it a couople of times. Once in the snow I took a few snaps of a feeding woodcock. Beautiful bird they are when you 'really' look at them. :victory:

Once photographed a woodcock on the nest......amazing camoflage....

My young bitch was hunting them up in the rough grass on the hill where we go walking the other week, they make their beds on higher ground when the fields get too wet

They roost in daylight , mostly in woodland. It is uncommon to see woodcock in the daytime in fields. I think I've only seen it a couople of times. Once in the snow I took a few snaps of a feeding woodcock. Beautiful bird they are when you 'really' look at them. :victory:

Seen them in the snow, squatting at the bottm of small fir trees..also seen one on its nest, 4 lovely eggs when she lifted.

Amazing bird and so much being done now by various conservation bodies to protect them, and ensure that they will be there for future people to see.

Well done JD for getting the images

• Like 2

That's true, you are more likely to put them up out of woodland, when i say fields i was talking of the set aside margins and hedge sides rather than out in the open, the ones my bitch was hunting up were tucked up against the base of the young trees that are dotted about on the hillside, when the lower ground was waterlogged, always nice to see them wherever they are