What Are Your Thoughts On Air Guns Being On A Sgc?

So, as the title says, what are your thoughts on Air guns being on a SGC? Now before you all shout my reasoning is when I began to shoot back in the 80s, the best I could afford was a BSA Meteor running at 8ft lb if I was lucky, accurate at 20 yards at best and being a springier took ages to get a tin of 500 pellet through it. Fast forward to today, with no `test` no `licence` and nowhere to shoot I can buy/own a HW100s 14 shot 11.7ft lb super accurate PCP. Do the two compare? Should a modern PCP be able to be used as a plinker in a small back garden?

What I would like to see is a sub 80ft lb Air rifle on a SGC with all its checks and as with shotguns no limited to calibre or number held within reason, so no having to ask for .177, .22, .25 ect… Then an over 80ft lb and so comparable to a rim fire to be on a FAC as it is now with land checked and each calibre noted.

I look at it like this...I shoot sub12 just for few pot fillers and the sport... would I like to shoot fac air? Hell yeah it would be a great asset just to have a little more poke. Does the hassle of obtaining and holding on to a fac justify it's self to me and my needs ? NO... if I did apply for fac would would I only apply for air NO of coarse I wouldn't I would go for the maximum I though i could get away with like most people however I don't expect anyone holding a fac to admit that .... so I just feel that by making fac air fac it probably results in more high powered powder burners being in circulation than need be .I also think by putting fac air on a SGC it would help free up the process for those applying for fac for powder and making applications quicker.

edit to add

I don't think it will ever happen.

Edited by kanny
  • Like 1

Personally I think sub 12 rifles should be left as they are,generation upon generation of lads, including myself,and I suspect most on here, started shooting in back gardens, with meteors,mercury's,etc, and never did any real harm to anyone, so what if your modern pcp produces 3 or 4 ftlbs more energy, its hardly a lot in the scheme of things, lets face it,anyone can also go and buy a catapult,firing lead balls at around 20+ftlbs or a crossbow firing a bolt that would probably penetrate your chest up to its flights, I know which I would rather be shot with, a 12ftlbs air rifle or a 170lb draw crossbow,I will give you a clue, it would not be the one you hold down with your foot to cock, air rifles are a right of passage,and I know lads including myself that have fullbore,and rimfire rifles, that have held on to their affections for air rifles,there is something about air rifles that makes grown men misty eyed, I think they transport us back in time to a happy carefree time in our lives,and as such I think sub 12 air rifles should be available to responsible people without any form of licensing, I can see the OPs point about sub 80ftlb air rifles on sgc,but I cant ever see it happening, as this would require re-classification of a section 1 firearm,and a relaxing of the law so to speak, and we all know how often that happens, in the shooting world ;)

• Like 3

Should be left as they are.....all licensing will do if put many kids off getting into shooting

I would suspect theres no where near as may air rifles out there compared to 30 years ago

You could do far more damage throwing a brick at someone