Should Night Vision And Thermal Imaging Been Banned From Hunting

I'm a rifle man myself but prefer to leave foxes and hares for the dog lads, I get plenty of sport from other quarry be they fur or feather.

Night vision combined with a rifle used on fox takes all the sport out of it and leaves a bitter taste on the mouth, it's also worth noting that the dog lads aren't likely to leave a litter of Cubs behind to slowly die of thirst like a rifle man will after culling the dog and vixen.

• Like 3

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JMHO but lads nowadays want instant success instead of learning the ropes first. There's lads nowadays getting their DSC today and shooting their first 12 pointer tomorrow or buying their first lamp

....my only problem with technology is that the vast vast majority of us are sport hunters...yet lot of people us 'pest control' as an excuse for unsporting behaviour. I know so many people who have

Termal imaging is good for counting partridges and catching cnuts with metal detectors like i've been using one for ,our above ground foxes are delt with by NV and a 222.50 and the ones under ground

Just-a-snap, I don't agree when you say the advantage is always with us.

There's lads on here who'll spend weeks exercising their saluki crosses making sure that their dog is eating better than they are only to bring it out, give their quarry a sporting chance and be made to look silly.

There's lads on here who have packs of hounds who'll breed hard, cull hard, feed well, exercise hard and be lucky if they're rewarded once in every 4 or 5 hunts, and be happy with that.

Terrier lads who'll spend 18 months rearing their well bred pups only to let their pride and joy go to ground and an hour later wonder why they've busted their back and now have their terrier back but no quarry ?

When quarry is shown fair sport it's far from equal.

For the hunter that is.

But when modern technology comes into the equation then IMO sport leaves that equation.

I have absolutely no problem with your way of thinking and all that you say, but that still was not the Question, it is about modern technology used in hunting. How one hunts lawfully is none of my business,

All the best

Renos

I dont see why anyone would get concerned with what someone else does on their land or permission......If they kill everything there then so be it they'll have nothing to shoot eventually

I will use any modern technology from Lamp to Thermal and will shoot any Fox i see to protect the game birds.............The gun was modern technology once

I you have permission and only use your dog to hunt so be it

I dont see why anyone would get concerned with what someone else does on their land or permission......If they kill everything there then so be it they'll have nothing to shoot eventually

I will use any modern technology from Lamp to Thermal and will shoot any Fox i see to protect the game birds.............The gun was modern technology once

I you have permission and only use your dog to hunt so be it

Correct

Going to upset a few with these remarks, but it is how I have always felt so I make no apologies. Hunting, is for gathering food. Sport is when you hunt the inedible. In the past if you targeted an animal that was edible then any means was considered 'Fair game' as long as it got results. Where as with hunting for sport there were protocols that had to be adhered to. Of course there are exceptions to every rule and rats are an exception where any method is deem fair game.Now it seems the sporting aspect has all but gone. It is kill at any cost under the guises of "If I don't do it someone else will" "It's pest control" no doubt some are pest control, but I am willing to bet most are not.

To my mind modern inventions will eventually see off most of the hunting / sport that we have in this country. The biggest invention that has revolutionised ferreting is the locator, and no doubt there are ferrets alive today that would not be otherwise through the use of them. But in my opinion they have changed ferreting beyond recognition even in my life time. It has gone from stealth and cunning, to use a big hob make as much noise as you can and get the spade out. Not ferreting in my eyes.

The same for the night vision and thermal imaging, good tools that get the job done, but at what cost? I can see the attraction for the inept, the same as the locators that actually teach a person nothing, save how to use an electrical gadget. You can use one for 20 years and still be none the wiser field craft wise, yet amass huge numbers of rabbits. If cock measuring is your game then go for it, you will surely get some pats on the back. But if you want to preserve your sport for your children and their children, then you cannot kill the last one.

A rather pi$$ed

TC

• Like 5

Hunting is hunting however is more successful should be the way to go

There is a difference between hunting and dispatching something. NV is a very good tool for pest control. But in a lot of cases, you couldn't exactly describe it as a hunt. . . . just my opinion of course.

What are we meant to do only snare,ferret or use an air rifle on rabbits....or only use open sights on a rifle

Only shoot foxes that have been squeaked in using the back of the hand and an old miners lamp

Times change and we will buy and use modern items be it a NV or a powerfull lamp

• Like 1

No one said that.

But I think to call it 'hunting' is a bit of a stretch.

It gets the job done, and if thats what floats your boat then I guess its fun.

But hunting. . . . . . . ?

I wouldn't call shooting something with a rifle hunting just like I wouldn't say lamping a hare and getting a dog to chase it is hunting

To be honest neither take that much skill or field craft

Just-a-snap, I don't agree when you say the advantage is always with us.

There's lads on here who'll spend weeks exercising their saluki crosses making sure that their dog is eating better than they are only to bring it out, give their quarry a sporting chance and be made to look silly.

There's lads on here who have packs of hounds who'll breed hard, cull hard, feed well, exercise hard and be lucky if they're rewarded once in every 4 or 5 hunts, and be happy with that.

Terrier lads who'll spend 18 months rearing their well bred pups only to let their pride and joy go to ground and an hour later wonder why they've busted their back and now have their terrier back but no quarry ?

When quarry is shown fair sport it's far from equal.

For the hunter that is.

But when modern technology comes into the equation then IMO sport leaves that equation.

Light weight litium batteries ,1 million candle power lamps ,hand held led lamps ,B&F collars and locators ,tracking collars ,night vision ,telescopic sights ,binoculars etc etc are all modern technology ....I would say I have as much field craft as any man and can work a dog to a very high standard but have no problem using the above to get results

• Like 2

....all im going to say regarding thermal nv is anyone who has never tried it try it you wont leave home with out it ....you will see gear that you would never of seen before by just lampin ....not just quarry but lots of other things out at night

Well I hunt in nothing more than a loin cloth with a my wits and bare hands as weapons........... I only consider it hunting though if I've exposed myself to 3 months of arctic winter first. Anything less is just unethical murder! I mean, fancy using another animal to kill for you! Or god forbid one of those bang stick contraptions! I look down on all of you townie 'hunters'!

:tongue2::D:whistling:

• Like 2

Well I hunt in nothing more than a loin cloth with a my wits and bare hands as weapons........... I only consider it hunting though if I've exposed myself to 3 months of arctic winter first. Anything less is just unethical murder! I mean, fancy using another animal to kill for you! Or god forbid one of those bang stick contraptions! I look down on all of you townie 'hunters'!

:tongue2::D:whistling:

Lets not lie, shooting rabbits or foxes with N.V is childs play.

• Like 3