Should Night Vision And Thermal Imaging Been Banned From Hunting

Talk of lamp shy,- try a red filter,- i did and it made a big difference,- it does not seem to scare them, and we could almost walk right up to some rabbits etc. My mate was also bringing in foxes very close on the red filter. He won't use without a filter now. Blue or green was no good, but amber good in foggy conditions.

imo the fileters do help but not blinding the feck out of them helps more....keeping them out the center light and just seeing their eyes shine...when the times right just drop the light onto them slowly and.......... goodnight sweetheart

• Like 3

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JMHO but lads nowadays want instant success instead of learning the ropes first. There's lads nowadays getting their DSC today and shooting their first 12 pointer tomorrow or buying their first lamp

....my only problem with technology is that the vast vast majority of us are sport hunters...yet lot of people us 'pest control' as an excuse for unsporting behaviour. I know so many people who have

Termal imaging is good for counting partridges and catching cnuts with metal detectors like i've been using one for ,our above ground foxes are delt with by NV and a 222.50 and the ones under ground

Termal imaging is good for counting partridges and catching cnuts with metal detectors like i've been using one for :laugh: ,our above ground foxes are delt with by NV and a 222.50 and the ones under ground by my terriers.A combo of few methods are needed for total pest control coverage but likes been said any fool can use one and be the big white hunter in his head and i do hate folks who only touch the fields their in to pick up something dead they've shot :censored: ..Field craft is a skill that cannot be bought no matter how much money or toys you have....

• Like 7

....my only problem with technology is that the vast vast majority of us are sport hunters...yet lot of people us 'pest control' as an excuse for unsporting behaviour. I know so many people who have given up working dogs because in our area quarry gets hammered by rifle men. Is there so many more game birds or ground nesting birds because jonny rambo has set himself up as a one man verminator? Is there feck!

You wanna help wildlife and game then look after habitat first!....and perhaps we can all find some quarry to hunt

• Like 12

....my only problem with technology is that the vast vast majority of us are sport hunters...yet lot of people us 'pest control' as an excuse for unsporting behaviour. I know so many people who have given up working dogs because in our area quarry gets hammered by rifle men. Is there so many more game birds or ground nesting birds because jonny rambo has set himself up as a one man verminator? Is there feck!

You wanna help wildlife and game then look after habitat first!....and perhaps we can all find some quarry to hunt

Where I'm originally from it's why we started to release or move & release everything we dug if we could......

I have noticed over here a more relaxed attitude to so-called pest control & hunting in general by the hunters themselves...

As we are all aware in a lot of areas rabbit is having a difficult time due to disease... on a 200 acre perm of mine I've only shot feather for the past 2 years I try my best to help the situation but nearly every time I visit the perm the landowner tells me how he's had to chase poachers of lamping with dogs and on numerous occasions I've seen mauled up hares thrown into the dykes what I can only presume were caught at night... its swings and roundabouts there's knobnheads in both shooters and dog men.

• Like 4

As we are all aware in a lot of areas rabbit is having a difficult time due to disease... on a 200 acre perm of mine I've only shot feather for the past 2 years I try my best to help the situation but nearly every time I visit the perm the landowner tells me how he's had to chase poachers of lamping with dogs and on numerous occasions I've seen mauled up hares thrown into the dykes what I can only presume were caught at night... its swings and roundabouts there's knobnheads in both shooters and dog men.

Too true......I have heard it said on here that rabbits numbers are in decline in some areas, so hammer them while you can, because someone else will! Haha A fcuking mental attitude to have......kill kill kill then blame it all on a mysterious disease haha...

• Like 4

Iv been lucky enough to meet/work with farmers and keepers who were from a different era, men who were well past retirement age when I met them and that was 20 plus years ago. I can't help thinking they would turn in their graves at the sight of some military hardware doing the rounds at the minute.

Edited by DIDO.1

Great bits of kit if you havnt got the skill to work dogs or havnt access to decent dogs,biggest fans of rifles and all the tech that goes with it are failed dog men jmho,pest controlers and profit hunters will also get good use out of it.

failed dog men ???? ya having a larf surely -- ive owned fantastic lurchers in my time & own 2 cracking springer spaniels atm if someone chooses to buy a good rifle and uses it for hunting /hobby /job I say good on them ps I will never shoot a hare mind you

Toys and gadgets aside it's a big pity that there's not more lads doing their time instead of wanting to become "The Best" overnight.

Being taught in the school of hard knocks does get rid of the wannabees and leaves only those who know what they're doing.

Areas being decimated of game by those who cheat with gadgets is one thing but just as annoying to the lad who's got a right to be there is the area that's full of game but by September they're highly educated by the ,smoking, loud talking, door slamming, up wind experts who are out regularly, catch nothing and by October are moaning about lack of game.

Back to gadgets, one thing that pisses me off is this new fad of "deer stalkers" putting out a load of trail cameras for a week or so, studying the deer's movements and then turning up an hour before you start dropping a few.

More legends being made by their gadgets.

• Like 3

With respect to all the Question had and has nothing to do with who and what real hunter’s are, the Question was about giving animals a bit more of a sporting chance by Proposing the Banning of Night Vision and Thermal Equipment.

Unless we are catching and killing whatever prey animal or vermin with just our hands or teeth then the advantage is always with us. We all can only live with available technology and techniques past down to us in our own times, how we use them and if still legal is a different thing altogether, or has respect for freedom of choice within the law become a bad thing in the UK?

I own 3 highly priced air rifles that on occasion make hitting the target easy but I get great satisfaction from using my learned field skills to get within killing range and seeing the said target has a quick /humane death ive probably only shot a dozen rabbits in last year as it would be pointless wiping them out on the permissions I have -its not just lads with rifles that go around killing for killings sake dog lads need to take their share of the blame

• Like 2

Just-a-snap, I don't agree when you say the advantage is always with us.

There's lads on here who'll spend weeks exercising their saluki crosses making sure that their dog is eating better than they are only to bring it out, give their quarry a sporting chance and be made to look silly.

There's lads on here who have packs of hounds who'll breed hard, cull hard, feed well, exercise hard and be lucky if they're rewarded once in every 4 or 5 hunts, and be happy with that.

Terrier lads who'll spend 18 months rearing their well bred pups only to let their pride and joy go to ground and an hour later wonder why they've busted their back and now have their terrier back but no quarry ?

When quarry is shown fair sport it's far from equal.

For the hunter that is.

But when modern technology comes into the equation then IMO sport leaves that equation.

• Like 3