Feeding Times ????

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine usually has porridge with sliced almonds,banana and some manuka honey on top about 8 am. Then about 12pm I shoot down to greggs and get him a chicken salad barm with a smidgen of mayo (no onions

I always find this kind of topic interesting and don't really see a right or wrong. It's good to hear how differently we all do things.   I personally feed one big meal a day between 5pm and 10pm. I

i always feed 5 to 6 hours before going lamping ive seen alot of dogs that havent been fed that day or even upo 24 hours previous go off there feet.

Something to bare in mind as well, raw only takes 4-6hours digestion, dry food up to 10 hours.

So they say..

I used to try feeding in morning half the meal. But few weeks back I fed my dog at 6-30 ish and mate wanted to go lamping so thought ok, went about ten ish and didn't make a difference how he run, difference was he prob had more energy in him if he needed it there n then.

Mine usually has porridge with sliced almonds,banana and some manuka honey on top about 8 am. Then about 12pm I shoot down to greggs and get him a chicken salad barm with a smidgen of mayo (no onions coz there no good for a dog)Come 10.30pm hes good to go. If we dont venture out We usually go halves on a pizza.

If i am skint its a bit of fatty lamb about 12pm and feed maine scran once home in the early hours.

• Like 11

Mine usually has porridge with sliced almonds,banana and some manuka honey on top about 8 am. Then about 12pm I shoot down to greggs and get him a chicken salad barm with a smidgen of mayo (no onions coz there no good for a dog)Come 10.30pm hes good to go. If we dont venture out We usually go halves on a pizza.

If i am skint its a bit of fatty lamb about 12pm and feed maine scran once home in the early hours.

Mint..ha ha ha

not like grey wolves or wild dogs that can go up to 12 days between feeds

• Like 1

we dont have grey wolves or wild dogs we have ,working dogs i feed them at nite if there lamping they get fed when they come home ,

i dont need to travel far so no need for feed in morning , i take clean water with me , and a treat if i think we are in for a long haul ,all dogs are diffrent mines are mostly saluki greyhound type and collie grew type bred from years of workers so pretty hardy , most important thing in this harsh weather up north plenty good dry bedding , and good fatty meat like chicken carcase , tripe , beef and fat from abattoir ,pasta , some dried food , after A HARD DAY UP HILLS I FEED ThEM right away, MAKE SURE PLENTY FOOD WATER AND PLENTY STRAW , KEEPS THEm right

Edited by fluff
  • Like 1

two f***ing experts

one who says that dogs arnt grey wolves or wild dogs, and one who says we dont have these here..pleased we have them facts sorted out

Whin, I rarely agree with anything you say, but the times you say that you feed up, fit better for me...and if that means 24 hours between feeds, so be it, their not going to starve, and Ive seen more problems with guys running their dogs on full stomachs, than running their dogs on an empty one..but, thats my observations and thoughts,

• Like 1

I give mine about a 1/4 of their food at 18:00 before Lamping at 12:30 ,then rest when finished Lamping

On ocaision Ive tried similar in the past, and as much of my lamping took place 1am onwards the dogs performance wasnt effected..

Can I come and live in your kennels, but i'd prefer the chargrilled chicken bun and a steak bake courtesy of greggs and no need to hold back on the onions
  • Like 3

two f***ing experts

one who says that dogs arnt grey wolves or wild dogs, and one who says we dont have these here..pleased we have them facts sorted out

Whin, I rarely agree with anything you say, but the times you say that you feed up, fit better for me...and if that means 24 hours between feeds, so be it, their not going to starve, and Ive seen more problems with guys running their dogs on full stomachs, than running their dogs on an empty one..but, thats my observations and thoughts,

Clearly more of a fukcing expert than you fella if you think that running a dog all night that hasn't eaten for 24 hours is going to work better harder and for longer than a dog that has had a meal previous to lamping with enough time to digest it obviously .......

• Like 2