Feeding Times ????

FFS what's so confusing ... A dog that has digested his food and then hunted hard soon after will work longer and harder than a dog that has a meal 24 hours before he is hunted ... For those that disagree use google for fukcs sake and learn something about muscle stress ... Depletion ... Cramping etc etc etc ... Do you think sled dogs can keep running on an empty stomach ??????????????

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine usually has porridge with sliced almonds,banana and some manuka honey on top about 8 am. Then about 12pm I shoot down to greggs and get him a chicken salad barm with a smidgen of mayo (no onions

I always find this kind of topic interesting and don't really see a right or wrong. It's good to hear how differently we all do things.   I personally feed one big meal a day between 5pm and 10pm. I

i always feed 5 to 6 hours before going lamping ive seen alot of dogs that havent been fed that day or even upo 24 hours previous go off there feet.

Not disagreeing with anything anyone has said but today I was at work I phoned the wife to ask her to feed a few handfuls of fatty lamb to my dog,

She did this at 1pm, tonight I went out at 9 pm dog only had twenty runs, on the last run I knew something was wrong the rabbit was turning and gaining 20 yards or so, she picked it bought it back but as she was retreiving I noticed her back legs wobbling, took the rabbit out of her mouth and she collapsed, I squirted some lucozade down her and carried her back to the car, she is about 14 month old never seen her like it before

Just to add when I got back to the car I gave her a mars bar and when I got home she had a bowl of fatty mince mixed with sardines and vitalin, my reason for posting is I don't usually feed before but I did today and then this happens

Just to add when I got back to the car I gave her a mars bar and when I got home she had a bowl of fatty mince mixed with sardines and vitalin, my reason for posting is I don't usually feed before but I did today and then this happens

sounds like it knocked her sick

Feeding had absolutely nothing to do with what happened to your dog and that's a fact ......

• Like 1

Feeding had absolutely nothing to do with what happened to your dog and that's a fact ......

hows it fact if her stomachs turned smart arse

I have seen my own dog spew up when i have fed before running

Then you obviously fed to,soon before working ......

I have seen my own dog spew up when i have fed before running

Then you obviously fed to,soon before working ......

no no at all

Because smart arse the dog was only fed a few handfuls of meat which would have been digested long before it was hunted 8 hours later .......

Because smart arse the dog was only fed a few handfuls of meat which would have been digested long before it was hunted 8 hours later .......
how do you know it was fully digested, have you been checking the shits

Listen fella if you want to have a discussion or argument with me learn a little bit about the canine digestive tract first .......

Socks mate I'm just after some advice really, like I said I'm not disagreeing with anyone this is my first proper go at working a running dog, she is a young dog and I've been slowly increasing the amount of runs I give her every time I go out, tonight was windy but still pretty mild she may of dehydrated? Can you give dogs water whilst working or will that cause problems in the guts aawell?

Listen fella if you want to have a discussion or argument with me learn a little bit about the canine digestive tract first .......

lol

14 months is still young mate depending on what cross is in your bitch ... Giving a dog water on a night out is essential .. A few mouthfuls every 10 or so runs will keep her on top form ... You would even need to feed a dog a little high fatty meal if you are going for a long hard night ........