Any Pics Of Dave Platts Breeding

You talking all deer. Or any deer in particular mik? Will a deerhoundx do business on rutting deer of needs be?

Are deer slower during the rut? The point is it was written on here that deerhound wer no good on foxes a bit of a sweeping statement which is typical on here ...my point is and I am going from what I've witnessed that bull crosses not lurchers with a bit of bull jus t didn't have the pace for deer they caught one or two and you put something with teeth in front of them they knew their job ....a hound can have all the drive it wants but if it can't get to its quarry it means nothing

• Like 3

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all. So I took Breeze to a dog show the other day and she is won puppy champion. she is 10 months now. I think she is turning into A beautiful bitch. What do you guys think.

3.5 month old pup. Not bred by Dave Platt himself but both parents were. 9th Generation      

Hi all here is my bitch who's mother is was breed by dave platt. I would love to see any pics you have of your deerhound greyhounds & if they were breed by dave platt all the better as it will giv

Posted Images

Katchum I have been out with lads post 2004 that kept really game 1/2 crosses in fact one of the lads owned a 1/2 cross the first litter out of a well known line of bulls I never saw the dog work as he was old but heard plenty of stories from lads I trust lads that wouldn't even know what THL is ....I saw progeny direct out of this line work and were very good at what they we bred for 2 I saw were the best I have seen but these lads were honest and said it how it was they were too slow for General lurchers work

Been lucky enough to see many different crosses of Deer/Grey over the years and where they come into there own is out on the hill or on the rough ground running the quarry they were bred for. They definetly come into there own on rough ground but can look pedestrian on other terrain and hence why they are not for everybody.Ive ran dogs of all crosses and so have my mates when we have been well up North and they still dont cover the ground like a Deerhound/Greyhound can.

• Like 1

For all round lurchers work I would say the deer/grey is better than a bull/grey purely for pace alone but agree they are not the finished article .....but the point is a lad has come on here with some pics of a really well made deerhound pup and folk start slating deerhounds

• Like 6

But a first x deer grey ain't any better at all round lurcher work than a first cross bull grey, is it? Neither are finished articles in my opinion

Is a first cross of any breeding the finished article ?, you've got more chance of getting what you want from a litter of linebred lurcher pups that are known to produce the traits that you are looking for. Must say though if the type of first cross deerhound x greyhounds of 20 years ago were still available i'd like to have one by my side
  • Like 4

I know it's been said before but I think it's a case of horses for courses if someone is running rabbits on little paddocks a deerhound x would be the wrong choice and might course the person to say deerhound x is no good just like someone running deer or hare in rough ground using a greyhound whippet might say this x is no good obviously most on here no enough not to generalise in this way but I'm pretty sure this type of thing has happend and will happen again

Should add I had a dog from dave Plattsburgh breeding over a saluki greyhound birch he was making a nice dog slow to mature and very timid I started him on rabbits at ten month old and he was showing all the signs of making a top worker I was very pleased then one night I slipped him on a rabbit he missed it and I never saw him again

Ill make all the Brits very cross now but all the deerhound crosses I've seen were great at self preservation,most were afraid of foxes and always went for the easy option,the ones that weren't too afraid of foxes still didn't try too hard at cover and gave up easily.i don't know about uk but most deerhound crosses here are kept by the show crowd,the lads who go out to catch foxes have bull,wheaten,collie,hound or whatever does the job.

I will make all the Paddys cross now, but please TRY and read the thread title before posting comment

What the f**k have your personal views and gripes got to do with putting pics up of David Platts dogs....start your own thread up, why are deerhound crosses shit or something like that, but, its been done a lot of times on here already..

The guys that I know kept deerhound crosses because they didnt give up easily, and, could take fox consistently more than one a night, and more than once a week..and could do a lot more than just smash a few foxs up now and again.

Nice pics, got no pics of his dogs, and if I had I still probably wouldnt put them on what a lot of folk see as a bull and saluki site...

I aint a clue who you are Omanyra, but i know i,d like ya, say it how it is fella :laugh: .

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

It's good there are a Handfull still faithfull to the

Deerhounds and Deerhound crosses

were not looking through rose tinted glasses mate.i keep them because i think there a bloody good allrounder.the one i got here now can play a bull x at it's own game and has.it's even caught on the aerodrome where none of my mates other dogs have.she's platts bred.this season coming will be her 2nd full season and i got high hopes for it.my brother can't believe it's the same dog that plays with his young daughter is responsible for all the game hanging in the garage.so yeah i'm a big fan of them.

• Like 3