The Brown Rat

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loathed by most,loved by a few,an unworthy opponent to some terrier men, yet a more than worthy opponent by others.Some like to kill the odd few now and then, others like myself hunt them on a weekly

Most of mine too.

foxbolter i'm not going to get pulled in to a debate over how strong a rat is or is not,ive bin working terriers for over 35 years and over twenty on other quarry, so i'll have my opinion and you have

Posted Images

Excellent thread, interesting reading, and some of those pics, well done lads, your a credit to the dog, hunting and countryside world.

Keith, what neck you from, I could give you a bit of ratting but guess distance would ruin it.

Been threatening to get another ratter, not had one for 6 yrs now, damn I miss it.

Great pics again Keith. Love the merle, be good to get some pups off her now. Nice grey or a good sized whip I reckon :-)

Atb

Have thought about it quite a bit CM ,would be no shortage of people wanting pups,but would only breed here for a pup myself.All being said she dose all asked of her and more.atb keith j.
What way do you think to go Keith? Whip? Grey? Or collie?

Just curious mate. As you say, they'd be snapped up.

Atb

If i was to cross, would be to a working whippet ,keep the size down and ad a dash of speed.But most of the land we lamp is hill and moorland where rabbits take refuge in the dry stone walls,the collie's work this ground really well turning the bunnies back into the fields and picking them off .would be different if we were lamping flat pasture fields mind,but horses for courses.She's a good all round dog gives 100 percent every time,atb keith j.
Perhaps a good half cross over her? You'd get your splash of speed.
  • 3 months later...

Time for an update,havent been on much ,but it seems not a gret deal has changed on here .Anyways notice still a couple of the ratting threads going strong so thought i'd contribute a bit to this thread and share a few more recent hunts ,not big numbers but great sport all the same . Managed to get a few shots of the dogs doing there thing on the lamp , bit tricky trying to take pictures and work the dogs ,moving boards ect ,but hey ho here it goes...atb keith j.post-76374-0-28258000-1468176527_thumb.jpgpost-76374-0-98291800-1468176616.jpgpost-76374-0-21494100-1468176980.jpgpost-76374-0-69006800-1468177079.jpgpost-76374-0-23141300-1468177494.jpgpost-76374-0-29277600-1468177566.jpgpost-76374-0-79456900-1468177766.jpgpost-76374-0-36986100-1468178107.jpgpost-76374-0-36557200-1468178185.jpgpost-76374-0-80252400-1468178244.jpg

Take most of my rats on the lamp Flacko,IMO the best way of taking them .Yes bud have taken some big numbers on the lamp,not so much at the moment though , dozen to twenty's all great sport though , atb keith,j.

• Like 2

Hello Keith,been a while since you posted,hope all is OK with your lot and Johnny is alright,Wilf has sired a few more litters,I had a litter born Saturday night and another litter is due in about 8 days,he throws a tidy small pup with good coats and plenty of colour,he has settled down as a good steady dog that listens to commands but can use his brain when needed,lives for work,work and more work,we are all made up with him and its like having my old dog Danny back again,WM

• Like 1

We're all good Rob,thanks.Good to here Wilf is doing the job for you, Grace has turned out one feisty, full on dog too,she just loves to work, has the stamina of my collie as there joined at the hip.Hope all is well your end bud,Atb Keith j

• Like 1