Are Greyhounds Really That Fragile?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An interesting topic...   Personaly,...I think that fragile,.is the wrong word to describe a well made Greyhound...   I remember seeing my first Greyhounds at a hare coursing meeting in the Cotswo

Raced greyhounds for over 20 year and grafted quite a few when they finished on track never had a problem with any of them couple of knocked up toes etc but they get that on track as well.

I had a fella ask me what dogs I had once, so I told him I kept lurchers " oh " he said "I'd never keep one of them they have brittle necks" " how do ya work that one out" I says " I know a few peop

Posted Images

Sal gives more wind and a more thinking running style.

Back to the question as to whether greys are too fragile. how many prey animals do you see in the wild with the same frame as a greyhound?

The only one that comes close is the cheetah which runs on the flat.

Evolution has dictated that for running on varied ground, a more robust constitution is needed.

For me a greyhound is like a sports car. You wouldn't run a sports car on stony, uneven ploughed field. sooner or later it will get badly damaged.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 2

Back to the question as to whether greys are too fragile. how many prey animals do you see in the wild with the same frame as a greyhound?

Evolution has dictated that for running on varied ground, a more robust constitution is needed.

For me a greyhound is like a sports car. You wouldn't run a sports car on stony, uneven ploughed field. sooner or later it will get badly damaged.

good way of putting it jukel,

So what brings more to the cross with sal greys? Does the sal give more wind? Or does the grey give the sal the kick up the ass it needs?

For me it's style durability stamina and the ability to recover from a hard day/night that a good saluki lurcher brings to the table..

• Like 1

good way of putting it jukel,

:icon_redface::icon_redface:

Ive heard a lot of people say they have greyhounds that dont get hurt and are durable but I wonder how many have had there hounds examined by a boneman lately. When I ran 3/4 grey bulls they got injured all the time.I have a greyhound now and so far its ok but Im careful where I run her.

I have owned two first cross track greyhounds and both had suicidal prey drive. one I raised running in rough terrain in the hope he would learn to negotiate it but he just seemed to hit everything flat out. The other I got as an older dog and I am not sure how he got to be an older dog, as he was the same. Both seemed to deal with injuries later and never learned. I wouldn't say either was fragile just no thought of self preservation and these were first crosses not pure. I have known, many years ago, a young bloke who would work his friends failed ex track greyhounds, give them a 'chance' so to speak and he said none ever made old bones but he loved seeing them give their all. I have also heard of one bloke on the ozziedoggers website (not known personally) who couldn't be happier with his ex track grey in the field. I would breed to that dog/bitch if I had the opportunity. I would love to own or have access to a pure grey with brains in the field and still all the qualities a pure grey has, I just don't think they are very common.

Any dog can break at any time no matter whats in them. Lost a bullx 5 month ago with a f****d back at 2yr old and lost my kelpie whippet grey x yesterday at nearly 5 yr old. I could understand how my bull x hurt herself she was more suicidle than any greyhound but my other was the most precautious dog in the world and died playing in the local park on an open field he was just running around slipped and we think broke his neck. I guess speed and preydrive dont help any dog really.

this dog worked and never backed off or jibbed and at the age of about six yrs , run across a field at evening with a tempry dog and hit a trough, fortunitly i had her pts at the vet in 10 mins, she had also ruff feat for a while but it never disincouraged it , rest in peace and a priviledge to hunt