Saluki Worth The Hassle

All of my of my dogs apart from one have contained saluki in the mix and normally more saluki that anything else I have also have couple of prue saluki in the past now I would say saluki can be hard to train as I believe you never really own this breed as they are so free thinking and independent minded they only ever do anything for you as they like you they will never be bullied into doing anything so getting a biddable one can take a bit longer and to build up that trust but I have always thought is was worth having this type of blood line in my dogs as I not only think the speed that they have but that free thinking can help in the field in some situations but I know lot of guys would never consider saluki as feel them to be pain in arse and infact know couple of pest controlers who both say saluki types are to much hassle a good collie cross can't be beating for akround dog . and can match most crosses .and I have seen quite a few collie lurchers I be proud to call my dog so with this in mind like to hear if you guys think saluki blood in a dog worth the hassle as all the working dog men pest controler types seem to opt away from them on to collie cross

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most real dog men????   What the hel does that mean?,,,,if you mean the coursing lads out on the fens ,,,don't put them up on a pedastel that's just silly talk,,,there just dog lads same as all of u

Genocide is the only answer with these cnuts. This fuucker has just had me up after crying for 2hours. He won't leave me alone. Follows me to the shitter/kitchen/laundry room. Constantly has a slapped

Morton I'd disagree..   I've had collie types and switched to saluki crosses.   I have one that's pretty much a sight hound however it's hunting ability and prey drive leaves my old collie types

Posted Images

I wont own a dog without saluki in its breeding somewhere but only from Coursing blood as has much more to offer then just hare coursing. Pest controllers would prefere collie x as most are ferreters its the most effitient way of clearing land. The collie x generally will be happy to stare at some nets for 30-60 mins at a time and have no problem. They get excited working out what hole its going to bolt from. Its all mind games they love. Plus a collie nature they thrive on commands. I hate pure collies looking back every few seconds in the hope for another command. I prefer more free thinking independent dogs . But i think bit of saluki and bit of collie goes a long way

• Like 2

saluki blood's not for me ( as i dont need it) but it's undeniable what a dash of saluki can bring to a lurcher. Though i'd like to bet that over half the working lurchers in this country at the minute would have saluki or bull blood in em and you wouldn't know with a lot of em. i've seen lurcher pups advertised that have more dogs in their make up than the E numbers in a bottle of fizzy pop. and i've also seen litters throwing such mixed sizes its a lottery as to what you'll end up with. they're just lurchers is all

Genocide is the only answer with these cnuts. This fuucker has just had me up after crying for 2hours. He won't leave me alone. Follows me to the shitter/kitchen/laundry room. Constantly has a slapped arse look about his face. My friends love him yet not one will look after him for any amount of time. He acts upon whatever stupid notion pops into his feckin head.

Plus points;

Loyal as fuuck, instant hit with any woman he meets that doesn't know him yet (aka pul machine lol) energy through the roof will just keep going. Full of character. Beautifully put together and he's my mate.....

Still a cnut mind lol

• Like 10

The plus points sound like my CV as for being a c**t top of the list :laugh: Salukis love them or hate them they are capable of what ever you throw at them, independence is a plus in any dog other than a guide dog . As for being c**ts can be on a regular basis. My four were out yesterday in what I have always assumed to be a quiet place any way they spotted something 3 fields away set off and ran it down when they came back they had a heinz 57 in tow , I got the elder 3 on the leads and five minutes later a woman came up ranting and raving claiming my dogs had nearly killed her mutt other than a bit of slaver on it an plenty of sweat it hadn,t been touched ,any way the young bitch of mine had decided this mutt was hers as she had caught it in her mind every time the woman went to get her dog the young ,bitch would chase it to the other side of the field it took me 30 minutes to get her to let me get her on the slip .pain in the arse but thats part and parcel of having hunting and running dogs. Salukis personally never had any other type of dog and wouldn,t change them.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 1

I wont own a dog without saluki in its breeding somewhere but only from Coursing blood as has much more to offer then just hare coursing. Pest controllers would prefere collie x as most are ferreters its the most effitient way of clearing land. The collie x generally will be happy to stare at some nets for 30-60 mins at a time and have no problem. They get excited working out what hole its going to bolt from. Its all mind games they love. Plus a collie nature they thrive on commands. I hate pure collies looking back every few seconds in the hope for another command. I prefer more free thinking independent dogs . But i think bit of saluki and bit of collie goes a long way

that's spot on mate, with this fookin looking at you every couple of yards. walk a couple look, walk couple look. walk couple look etc , ive always thought this trait in a dog is not normal . ive met loads of people with dogs all kinds of breeds and not feckin (one) does it, Bryn my 1x collie x grey he does it, and so does my 1x gsd x grey , not as bad but does look out for you quite a lot. I not talking about strange ground etc just normal dog walk big open field (common ground) where lots of dogs go, but Bryn does it as above :censored: its been a long hard 8 years for me living with a dog who acts like this 24/7 , ok he been good rabbit dg true had good bags with him . but I never have a dog with collie in it again Bryn killed it for me, that's really why I went for a gsdx grey something similar but not as bad temp, he is like but not as bad plus he a better alrounder type lurcher than Bryn , as Bryn just a rabbit dog really, Buck up for most stuff . I think drop of saluki would be a good thing, you get good stamina and good feet , and agile dog . I ve always though Buck put back to a saluki x lurcher bitch you get great pups , as he got the above as well you get a dog run all night long with plenty of prey drive :yes: . regards temp if its only say 1/4 saluki it watered down anyway with the other breeds in there, so to train might not be to bad ,the bullx grey x saluki x grey another good x that's does well :thumbs:

• Like 1