Fen Dogs Vs Lurchers

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unless your into showing or chasing plastic bags lurcher clubs as such are past their sell by date. The running situation requires that things are done on a low key and need to know basis. If you are

Buttons is mark brick lads and he's just trying for a rise to his spoken bollocks as usual ..

A good documentary would do is the world of good, as opposed to some clowns on gypsy programmes poaching

Well, in my humble opinion and limited experience,

the best of fen dogs would never be a lurcher in the genuine sense of the word and the best of lurchers in the genuine sense of the word would never be a fen dog.

Before everyone jumps in, I too have seen salukis lamping and collie crosses catching hares.

• Like 1

They are ALL Lurchers, pure and simple, with some types excelling at certain quarry or ground. It's up to the owner to choose the type best suited to his or her needs.... People over label these fecking dogs too much!!

I thought a lurcher was a cross between a sighthound and a working dog. A fen dog which is mainly saluki x greyhound which makes that a longdog not a lurcher. 2 different dogs, for 2 different jobs.

Ha, maybe it's worth a look back at the history of coursing blood in this country...

;)

every dog can have its day, but one swallow never made a summer. A dogs capability and legacy is written in a lifetime of graft. Where, how and on what quarry is up to its owner. And their honesty.

Edited by trenchfoot
  • Like 1

Who cares....fen dog vs Lurcher

Every part of the country is diffrent...I would love to see a big crop field dog last a season in the hilly rocky cliff faces at night game of the Highlands and vise versa...diffrent terrain diffrent dogs as long as they do the job

The question was good mate but fens ???.as every dog can a dapt to there hunting ground...usally highland fast dogs learn to run slower as it bloody hurts when they hit rock...as would a fast fen dog learn to slow down in that terrian...up here if they don't learn fast there brown bread ...the Highlands don't carry the weak

The diffrenance up here at night to a fen dog...we wander into a area wondering if our dogs are going die here in this terrian at night...fen dogs go into there next field wondering if they will catch

Edited by MR RABBIT

Sold a dog or buy a dog??? Seriously? Surely that is simply semantics. There are many different pups for sale every week but not so many I would buy if I was in the market or I would consider pointing out to some youngster starting in the game.

Many people have been sold a dog that was simply not suitable for them & perhaps in time with experience and guidance they will realise what type of dog they should buy or be sold!!!!

Splitting hairs is no way to behave in front of any youngster entering our sport, but we are all entitled to our own opinions and that is the lifeblood of this forum.?

Some have earned the right to be"arm chair experts, and are swimming in knowledge because they served long apprenticeships, ,Most lads in my experience are sold a pup or dog rather than buying one . ATB

One of the oldest sayings going "Being sold a pup" seriously same as the one you choose the pup dont let it choose you. These have been used by experienced men over the years this is where all the wise sayings come from "buy in haste repent at leisure," splitting hairs? life is a hard game to be in and benefits and pitfalls learnt from experience should be pointed out not sugar coated . just my opinion and experience learnt from people far more experienced than me,

Some good points raised by Micky & Desert bred..

If there was such a lurcher club or sub group within the CA .

I'd gladly listen, support men like yourself.

If lurcher men had such a voice or where able to infltrate the ranks of the boardroom,surely lurcher work would potentially have a brighter future ??

I think the youth should be encouraged to do things the Wright way and with high profile roll models they might have a better chance.

I was a young lad as we all have been.

I've not always done things the right way but through life have relised what's right and wrong,even if it's to my own moral standards.

Lads of any age can stab you in the back..

You don't have to hand young un's permission on a plate but better educational material stuff like Penny Taylor running dog maintenance book and the right type of dvds,like Phil lyods stuff I remember watching on vhs at my mates.

It's all food for thought ..

As the the original topic..

You need the dog to suit the land you hunt.. Some folk say a good dog should do it all but they don't..

I've not ran on a Fen.

It's small feild, wire or rough Moor land here.

I require a fast but robust type of dog as I want to hunt daytime..

On a night time pretty much any cross will put bodies in a freezer..

Would these dogs kill on a Fen I've no idea.

If I fancied that type of running,I get a pup from a Fen man.

It seems no one has answered Your question, Giro re a lurcher club with influence, i wonder if not many are prepared to dip their toe into such...

Giro and myself have discussed at great length the * need* for a high profile club, with its foot in the parlimentory door, YET....... we have a club with such influence , i rather think it would be great if we could ressurect the ALC, its not going to be like the old days with COURSING the main objective, since at this moment thus far its not permissable...

Reading the new planned amendment , it will be.however, the lurcher world is so much more then coursing and we have to think above and beyond just coursing, as Giro stated and others , some need a helping hand, and i and a few others would be happy to help, be it ferreting on the humble bunny.proper field trials , lectures, experience days, fun days etc....

The bigger picture is a club with a future, we have lost so much, through apathy and misdemenours , its futile to set one bunch of folk against the other, but united and enjoying our various hunting discplines , would be a step in the right direction, working progress...... :thumbs:

• Like 3

everyman to his own way of Hunting, first a daytime dog, has to have pace,stamina, and a coursing brain, and able to recover quickly from a hard run, I like my dogs to retrieve to hand, able to jump fences, ditches, hunt the rough, and if need be to hunt a wood, and push its quarry out into the open,then do its job, my dogs in the past have made light work, of putting the Roe deer to bed, (((( all under Pre-Ban,))) all daylight, Now the Lamping, dog or bitch, as a Pup recall, like all other dogs recall is Number 1 retrieving a dummy to hand, educate the youngster to the countryside,, just like your daytime, dog, jumping obstacles, and fences, then educating it to the lamp, able to run down the beam, a Rabbit sitting out in the field, ((( not 10yards from the hedge)))) as some people will try and slip, Now at night under the lamp with a blinding light shinning in its eyes,it does not take a great dog, to catch a rabbit blinded with the strong light,hits the rabbit retrieves to hand, simple,, so a skill to run down the beam a short burst of speed, rabbit is in the bag, now on the other side of the coin, daylight rabbit, half of the lamping greats could not catch that rabbit over 20or thirty, yards before it hits the hedge or burrow,the coursing dog, has to have pace, but able to control his pace, able to use his gears, running clever, so what ever you want to do lamping is the easiest one to put rabbits in the bag, I was out several times with a lad who only lamped rabbits, his dog was an ace on the lamp, well schooled, and under command at all times, but when you go day time for an Hare, your dogs have to be up on there toes, ready for the hard run, The master will always make it look easy, enjoy your dog what ever you have schooled it for, it is not rocket science, its only hunting, with a Poor mans hound the Lurcher/// or running dog,

• Like 2

One of the oldest sayings going "Being sold a pup" seriously same as the one you choose the pup dont let it choose you. These have been used by experienced men over the years this is where all the wise sayings come from "buy in haste repent at leisure," splitting hairs? life is a hard game to be in and benefits and pitfalls learnt from experience should be pointed out not sugar coated . just my opinion and experience learnt from people far more experienced than me,

Yes you have a point there but I'm certain the saying is"act in haste, repent in leisure" & you have a point in saying that life is a hard game but should our sport & our dog's be such a hard game? Should we not be enjoying these things,or at least taking what enjoyment we can? Obviously opinions vary but I'm pretty sure that the majority of older people will give you this piece of wisdom that 'life is too short so enjoy it while you can".

Whether you enjoy Fen running or lamping I hope you have the best of luck but please take what you can from it before the faceless politicians try to take what pleasure we have left.

Nobody promised that life would be easy but its simple social Darwinism that we have to adapt to lifes trials and tribulations & as my old pal with whom I spent many a day rabbiting with used to say about rearing a dog "it takes effort but if it becomes an effort your doing it wrong? Words to live by ?

Edited by optimus
  • Like 2

If lurcher men had such a voice or where able to infltrate the ranks of the boardroom,surely lurcher work would potentially have a brighter future ??

I think the youth should be encouraged to do things the Wright way and with high profile roll models they might have a better chance.

I've not always done things the right way but through life have relised what's right and wrong,even if it's to my own moral standards.

You don't have to hand young un's permission on a plate but better educational material stuff like Penny Taylor running dog maintenance book and the right type of dvds,like Phil lyods stuff I remember watching on vhs at my mates.

You need the dog to suit the land you hunt.. Some folk say a good dog should do it all but they don't..

I've not ran on a Fen.

It seems no one has answered Your question, Giro re a lurcher club with influence, i wonder if not many are prepared to dip their toe into such...

Giro and myself have discussed at great length the * need* for a high profile club, with its foot in the parlimentory door, YET....... we have a club with such influence , i rather think it would be great if we could ressurect the ALC, its not going to be like the old days with COURSING the main objective, since at this moment thus far its not permissable...

Reading the new planned amendment , it will be.however, the lurcher world is so much more then coursing and we have to think above and beyond just coursing, as Giro stated and others , some need a helping hand, and i and a few others would be happy to help, be it ferreting on the humble bunny.proper field trials , lectures, experience days, fun days etc....

The bigger picture is a club with a future, we have lost so much, through apathy and misdemenours , its futile to set one bunch of folk against the other, but united and enjoying our various hunting discplines , would be a step in the right direction, working progress...... :thumbs:

Take a poll see what interest is on THL to have a "dog club" to represent the grass roots lads in all the fieldsport disciplines followed by individuals. The ultimate aim to gain a voice in the C/A and the Parliment. As shooting and fox hounds appear to be adequately represented in these forums.

• Like 3

I've not ran on a Fen.

Take a poll see what interest is on THL to have a "dog club" to represent the grass roots lads in all the fieldsport disciplines followed by individuals. The ultimate aim to gain a voice in the C/A and the Parliment. As shooting and fox hounds appear to be adequately represented in these forums.

If I knew how to do a poll! :laugh: