Conditioning A Terrier

Are we using fitness as an excuse for not wanting it .A terrier dosnt have to be ripped to do a days graft just fit and healthy and of the right frame of mind .Anything other than regular excercise is a bit ott and needless but each to their own .

• Like 3

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have to agree, half the secret to keeping a terrier fit enough for plenty of work is keeping their brains stimulated. Terriers don't like to be bored and a walk around a few fields with plenty of sigh

A million miles from a dog not wanting it. But if you want a terrier capable of doing something special every now and then it better be in top condition. I think anyone who's done a bit of wrestling

Most guys have the very highest standards of what they expect from their dogs. They'd cull them for any minor deviation from their super high standards of work.   But the are very slack of the stand

Are we using fitness as an excuse for not wanting it .A terrier dosnt have to be ripped to do a days graft just fit and healthy and of the right frame of mind .Anything other than regular excercise is a bit ott and needless but each to their own .

• Like 1

A million miles from a dog not wanting it.

But if you want a terrier capable of doing something special every now and then it better be in top condition.

I think anyone who's done a bit of wrestling or boxing has an idea just how physically tough it can be when you've 2 animals of equal weights and opposite aims.

Just digging threw stones or earth for 15-20 minutes takes some effort.

I follow hounds on foot with a terrier and work it as needed. I'd be some prick to run on with a dog not well conditioned for a few miles then work it, run a few more work it again and maybe again. If the spirit is willing the flesh can't be weak.

Like I say guys have very high standards for what their dogs must do for them, but some have very low standards for what they must do for their dogs.

No need for a keep, but a dog should be parasite free all season and go into the season with as big a base of fitness as possible without weakening the dog by over doing it.

• Like 10

Bryn nail on the head again if you have competed your self a physical contact sport say boxing or mma you appriciate the need to be in good condition cardio wise.. with dogs muscles in the relevant places come with work but cardio needs to be ther r before they enter or they can't be expected to put a proper shift in with a animal what dose foot miles every night I was to keen or let's have it right stupid to enter the dog straight away not nowing it's physical condition but you live and learn a mistake what won't be made again got a bitch gifted this week but it needs getting fit first

a working dog should be fit and healthy all year round. a dog that is lean and muscular isn't difficult to keep in condition. the issue only arises if dogs are aloud to get out of condition and run to fat. I hate to see dogs without a little fat on them. they need something to burn off. nothing looks worse than a skinny working dog to my eye's

• Like 2

I always refer to this although I've never put it into practice, well certainly not to that extent

http://youtu.be/KbfEHoBTD_U

I hate to see comparisons made between pit bulls and working terriers.

It's not good for terrierwork and one is conditioned to be at the peak of fitness at a particular time on a particular date.

The other should have a level of fitness that enables it to work at anytime it's needed, providing it's ready for work.

• Like 4

a working dog should be fit and healthy all year round. a dog that is lean and muscular isn't difficult to keep in condition. the issue only arises if dogs are aloud to get out of condition and run to fat. I hate to see dogs without a little fat on them. they need something to burn off. nothing looks worse than a skinny working dog to my eye's

I agree, another reason I personally like to see a terrier with a little bit of fat (not much mind) on it is in case the terrier get's stuck or trapped overnight or longer. This can happen anyone who uses terriers underground.

One reason I feel that some lads keep terriers very lean is to help them fit. My advice to them would be to get a terrier of the right breeding that will be of the size needed in the first place.

There was even a few lads here a few years ago who were purposely keeping pups underweight for the American market.

They openly admitted to this. Ridiculous IMO.

• Like 2

I always refer to this although I've never put it into practice, well certainly not to that extent

http://youtu.be/KbfEHoBTD_U

I hate to see comparisons made between pit bulls and working terriers.

It's not good for terrierwork and one is conditioned to be at the peak of fitness at a particular time on a particular date.

The other should have a level of fitness that enables it to work at anytime it's needed, providing it's ready for work.

I don't mean to compare pit bulls with terrier work... Im aware there's a world of difference in a patterdale or jack Russell and a pit bulls type of work but the video he's made is also used to train his horses and even his kids for sports...

But I agree with you, he's training the animal or person to reach peak fitness for one event but I think his method is great if you kind of half the training and keep the dog ready for regular work with out hitting its peak... I had the 15min clock going for a while except my treadmill was electric so he couldn't set his own work rate and even still there's the diet etc to worry about.... Dietetics for dogs is something I have no clue about other than what I think might be best.... Fitness etc is something I'm interested in but to be honest a bit of exercise daily to keep his heart rate up and a nice level protein diet will cover what ever work il get up to so its just something I like as an interest... I'd imagine if most hunters actually looked at the work they done they'd realise there's no need for this kinda high octane sort of training... I suppose there's alway an exception to the rule also

A dog that is lean and muscular is not hard to keep in condition,especially as the owner as gone to the trouble of getting his mutt in that state,they are the owners who are the least likely to let them turn to mush and the least likely to have much pork on them,a skinny? working dog to some is a mutt in pristine condition.Im not an advocate that a terrier,or lurcher,needs a fat base to burn off,through graft,i find they have gained that condition through conditioning to graft.The best of athletes always have a fat to body fitness ratio and they always look lean.

• Like 2

Heard it too many times for a dogs piss poor performance,,,"the dogs not fit enough" complete nonsense, the dogs not up to the job more like, a lot can be said for having a dog too fit early in the season aswell, a combination of the dog that hasn't seen any work over the summer period and being bouncing fit (something that I personally don't see needed but each to their own) making easy work look like a hard job. My dogs need 5 or 6 digs each at the beginning of the season to get back into their working style that they work, plus one off digs in the summer months I hate and are avoided because of of this.

• Like 1

I certainly know how to get a dog fit and keep a dog fit....hounds terriers and to a lesser extent lurchers but what we apply to the 30 rag hound in the kennals I apply to the terriers! Good food....walked....and worked! In that order rest if they need it and don't be ignorant an try an work thru a injury! My terriers right now are what people may call thin but to me their ideal and fit te little buggers can and will run with the quad for hours and hours and still brawl at the end of it! To me it's noo good feeding a dog cheap arse food and expecting it to be a athlete! Ile feed pasta veg and beef mince and chicken breast most days with one or two days of good quality dry feed!

PK, the trail hounds I've seen going were a lot lighter than most people outside of that sport would seem possible.

Are they kept that light all season and are they expected to run every week (injury allowing) of the season in such lean condition ? What would an average seasons trailing be in number ?

The ones I seen on a 9 mile run would have made your average Saluki look fat but they impressed me immensely.