Conditioning A Terrier

I walk mine every day from mid july on...without leads so they run around together and play like feck. any time now il get them behind the quad as much as i can with some days the usual walk instead of the quad. I just like to get them as fit as i can untill the clocks go back as then i only have time to walk them on the leads after work. By then they will be easily fit enough for just work and walking to keep them at a decent enough level of fitness to see them through the season. Cant beat a stroll with them though, sit down for ten minutes and have a little bond with them is always better than running them behind the quad i think. Another thing is soon as the season finishes i let them get lazy, i dont like them too fit throughout the summer.

• Like 4

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have to agree, half the secret to keeping a terrier fit enough for plenty of work is keeping their brains stimulated. Terriers don't like to be bored and a walk around a few fields with plenty of sigh

A million miles from a dog not wanting it. But if you want a terrier capable of doing something special every now and then it better be in top condition. I think anyone who's done a bit of wrestling

Most guys have the very highest standards of what they expect from their dogs. They'd cull them for any minor deviation from their super high standards of work.   But the are very slack of the stand

They are kept light all running season and will run no less than 2 days a week pref 3...from April to October then the pup training starts...each dog will run diffrent but none run fat! Some run realy realy lean others not so it's down to the dog.. As for numbers I would say 50-90 runs a season... Each from 24-40 mins and from 6-10 mile....a 10 mile run in under 40 mins over fell land 2-3 times a week is the ultimate in fitness IMO but less about rag hounds an more about terriers

• Like 1

Dont know if my post sounded as if my dog is unfit lol. She certainly isnt and is walked. Some may remember i even had one dumb bird tell me she looks skinny and didnt have a come back when i showed her the difference. There isnt no real need to get her in shape i was just kind of wanting to see how she would look.