Progress Of A Pup

I've a dog pup here 10 1/2 month old he would go now he's mature a big strong dog just needs work his sister on other hand is very immature don't think she will start till late like her mother after 2 years old! A went to see a well respected terrier man about some of the breeding in this line and he started all his terriers at 9-10 month and worked well from that age! And he's had a good working line since the 60'sSome lines of terrier work earlier than others

No disrespect to your friend but IMO some lads can be at this game for years and still not have a clue and some lads can pick it up in 5 or 6 years.

Take that mans word with a big pinch of salt because 9 or 10 months is too young.

• Like 3

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For my part why take the chance of messing up a promising dog and they can be ruined with too early entering for certain. If the dog has a future in the game it will self enter no encouragement.Use t

once had 2 pups get to ground and work at 5 months, many a pup will start at 6-7 months I've had a few accidents over the years and its far to young, , 10-12 months still to young i think but i have

Can't agree more than what Foxdropper has said, I have a young dog in the yard and he is all go. Brought him out with older dogs but he wanted in, killing rats at 20 weeks old no issue. Had him out on

Posted Images

For my part why take the chance of messing up a promising dog and they can be ruined with too early entering for certain.

If the dog has a future in the game it will self enter no encouragement.Use the time to fully train it mate ,stock break etc.

Hole ending is for me, old hat and i detest it tbh but each to their own i guess .Let the dog meet quarry its found itself in an earth its wanted to enter.

• Like 7

Can't agree more than what Foxdropper has said, I have a young dog in the yard and he is all go. Brought him out with older dogs but he wanted in, killing rats at 20 weeks old no issue. Had him out once for a look at 6 months and I had to take him back to the van. 17months now well mannered around stock and the kids love him and he enjoys there company also, well settled. Once the season kicks off its only a matter of bringing him with me and throwing a collar on him. What or how he does is out of my hands. I've seen too many men over the years ruin not just terriers but over keen big pups and giving it to them too young. Let them be pups. If it's in them, then there ain't no rush. Some can be the opposite but it's knowing your dog or the line it came from helps with stuff like that. The apple never falls far from the tree.

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 6

I have a pup here that is showing all the signs of being ready to go. he has been running through cover from a very early age and killed a few rats. all the signals he is sending are good. he is now physically mature and pretty fit. the best thing I find at this (ready to go stage) is to return to the leash when out only to release when tried . he thinks he is ready. I think a couple more months wont do any harm . he is ages with your pup and also a strong terrier. and i'm sure I will have a good idea what I have by the end of the season coming . one of the best moments in terrierwork is watching a well entered terrier start its working life so good luck to you and your terrier. and don't rush in savour it

• Like 2

once had 2 pups get to ground and work at 5 months, many a pup will start at 6-7 months I've had a few accidents over the years and its far to young, , 10-12 months still to young i think but i have dug to them in easy places at that age and then held them back a few more months , when a young terrier starts and all that breeding shines throw and the pup works like a veteran people often forget there still pups , many start well at 12 months and walk off by 18 months and any terrier under 18 months is still a pup IMO the human in this partnership is supposed to be the intelligent one, and know when to let them work and how much, if it was me i would enter it a bit later on bit warm for digging at the moment ... fingers crossed and good luck with your pup

• Like 7

Come this season you should see a change in your pup mentally,more determined about its hunting ,this for me is the natural progression from a pup to an adult and with that comes the chance to try it to ground in an EASY place .

Good luck mate ,exciting days ahead .

• Like 1

10-12 months is too young for entering a young dog.I had a bitch self enter by accident a few year ago and she done almost 3 hours to ground before we finially broke through to her,she was 8-9 months old.She done nothing wrong and worked like a veteran but was then held back until she was 14-15 months old and has done the buisness since with no problems,its a bit like boxing,no one will put a child in the ring with an adult same should be practiced with terriers,whats the point in rearing a pup to almost maturity and then go and spoil it in a day just because your too eager to enter it,let it be a pup.

• Like 6

No it not that I'm eager to enter the pup I am giving him plenty of time, I was just describing what he does while I have him out walking, as I'm not sure of what are positive or negative signs. Thanks for all the good advice do much appreciated.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I started this tread a while back but never kept up with it, Sako is now just heading for 16mts, so anyway about three weeks ago I brought the pup out with my friend and his dogs and had a dig and just gave the pup a look at what was going on must say he was hyped, last Saturday I brought him out again when we come to one earth he said do you want to give him his first chance I agreed we would give it a go, let him off the lead, he had a good sniff around and then went in to my delight, after a couple of minutes he returned but went straight back in, then a short wait and we could hear the banging bingo, we waited and then located at three feet, the dig was on to the newbe, opend up and there he was with one at the end, we took him out and dispatched of a big old vixen and low and be hold their was another in behind. Let just say I was a proud bloke, he got the extra royal treatment.

Plan going forward is more time I think, thanks for all advice, and of course the 20 books I've read ha. Can I just as a beginner this was some excitement.

• Like 2

I started this tread a while back but never kept up with it, Sako is now just heading for 16mts, so anyway about three weeks ago I brought the pup out with my friend and his dogs and had a dig and just gave the pup a look at what was going on must say he was hyped, last Saturday I brought him out again when we come to one earth he said do you want to give him his first chance I agreed we would give it a go, let him off the lead, he had a good sniff around and then went in to my delight, after a couple of minutes he returned but went straight back in, then a short wait and we could hear the banging bingo, we waited and then located at three feet, the dig was on to the newbe, opend up and there he was with one at the end, we took him out and dispatched of a big old vixen and low and be hold their was another in behind. Let just say I was a proud bloke, he got the extra royal treatment.

Plan going forward is more time I think, thanks for all advice, and of course the 20 books I've read ha. Can I just as a beginner this was some excitement.

Brilliant result mate can yae stick up a wee photo of the pup. cheers.