Top Tips

Guest vin

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

dont feed cheap cat biscuits from supermarkets as a staple diet for your ferrets excluding anything else...seen this done over a few generations with a mates ferrets and they always seem to snap thei

Try not to over-complicate the ferreting game,...keep it simple,..in and out,..no fecking about..

Always take a smaller bloke with you,,,,to order around and fetch and carry......

Posted Images

No Pud Not you I seemed to have pissed off a few guys which I did not mean to do.

Thanks for explaining It is what i thought but not used around hear. I was interested in the word use, obvious really Decent of you.

Cheers Arry

No Pud Not you I seemed to have pissed off a few guys which I did not mean to do.

Thanks for explaining It is what i thought but not used around hear. I was interested in the word use, obvious really Decent of you.

Cheers Arry

you haven't pissed me off fella. :thumbs:

I,ll be honest the last thing i want is to be digging to bunnys all day, if the ferrets kill they,re not their for long and thats just the way i want it ....each to their own........done a lot with the terriers and charlie back in the day and digging was what it was about ferreting to me is the opposite....

• Like 1

Keep a pair of secateurs in your bag, handy for cleaning roots etc around the bury, that could catch your net.

Cocktail sticks break in half, handy for doing tree burys, just stick into bark, they hold the net.

When using stop nets, put a net on the end poles, put the end ring over, and peg in.

• Like 2

Its a bit like Vin's tip if a ferret won't come out and you have another ferret then gut the rabbit rub the paunch on the back of the other ferret and put to ground. This will tempt the other out.

another is like Pie-Eyed's tip put a bell on a elastic band but put it on the ferret tail it does not get clogged with mud so easily.

IF a ferret wont come out? its mostly likely trying to get a rabbit to bolt :thumbs: which is the purpose of the ferret being entered into the warren IMHO

So gutting a rabbit, or as you suggest rubbing it on another ferrets back to get your ferret back :hmm: does nt fit my idea of a working ferret that leaves a rabbit to go after a smell of guts??? a jacker by any other name

Y.I.S Leeview

I wouldn't go as far as classifying it a Jacker if its stuck down a warren trying to bolt a bunny... it must be doing something right . ? I'm just saying that sometimes when there scratching away for ages at a bottled up bunny, they might get a whif of an instant take away around the corner..they will often come for a quick look in-case they're missing something... this often presents the opportunity to quickly grab the Ferret before it goes back down.

I have done this myself many many times on warrens too deep or awkward to safely dig.

I would not feed a Jacker of any sort in my team.

its doing something right till it leaves the rabbit then its a jacker, it comes away giving the rabbit a chance to move on(not bolt) ask any terrier lad if they'd have a terrier that left a fox for quick look about? or a coursing dog left running a hare to check out a bit of game cover? or a marking dog after a bolting rabbit stops and marks a warren

Y.I.S Leeview

Your picking at fine straws there Leeview.. its not fox digging were talking about or hare coursing. jacking Is a subject for a different type of situation altogether.

I would be quite happy to show you any of my Jackers outwork your team any day of the week..and I would not be leaving any bunnies below ground.

fine straws,no you were talking about a ferret leaving a rabbit because it was distracted by another scent and I asked about the terrier leaving a fox to go investigate something else, same with the coursing. If the ferret,terrier or lurcher is nt committed to the job you want it to do its a jacker plain and simple.

Not once have I ever dug a dead rabbit thats been killed by having its arse scratched, the ferrets done a job sticking with the rabbit until dug to, other scenario is the kill and move on type.

"....and I would not be leaving any bunnies below ground." a ferret coming off a rabbit is surely doing just that IMHO?

I'll decline the offer of seeing your team work as I already have seen them, unless you have some new lines now?

Y.I.S Leeview

Have you ever had to or wanted to get your ferret out of a warren without digging it out ? If so in your infinite wisdom..how is this achieved when its scratching away at a bunnys ass ? Plus how many times have you had the ferret balled up with a bunny in more than one place in a warren ? you think its 1 rabbit moving and it 2 or 3 seperate bunnys all stuck up tubes..the ferret comes away from one to another and the one he was on previously then has chance to bolt,which it often does..

Trying to compare a terrier battling below ground face to face with a Fox and a Lurcher in hot pursuit of a course is stupid...really isnt it ? Because that's at the height of its adrenalin flow...now if you compared the ferret coming off a rabbits throat in the middle of a death roll I would be thinking you had a point because it would be jacking from its objective. . yes they will stay scratching away at a balled up bunnies arse until they are dug too obviously ...but what if you cannot dig them ?

Don't forget I've seen you work old chap. . Stick to making the wheels pal..cause that's the most work your team gets...

My line's a lot better than your netting lines...so don't even go there.

No I've never been in a rush to get a ferret out of a warren I have all the time in the world to let the ferrets get on with their job,thats how it was done late 50's no locators just a liner to rely on and patience.Here again how can you tell the ferret is moving between 2 or 3 rabbits underground surely it should be sticking with 1 rabbit till its dug or killed and move on IMHO.

A terrier is entered to find and bolt the fox or hold it until dug hows that different to what you expect a ferret to do? Dont ferrets have adrenalin?

I had nt forgot I'd seen you work remember it well slow start and a wood was strimmed(me I'd of gone back at least after a couple of days)your mate dug down and got a 4wk old squeaker killed by the ferret in one hand and the ferret in the other he then asks "what shall I do now?" you said "put it back down there might be more" he put the squeaker back down :icon_eek:

The following week you brought a 12 week old hob kit to try out, that was bred from a polecat hob that you'd found in a drop trap along with several dead rabbits.

then I got pm's from you asking if I could help you get permission in the dales as you wanted some of your own

Im still turning the wheels out on a weekly basis are you still singing?

Whats a netting line?

Your lines?you used to keep jills, then hobs were the way to go,you put the miles in last year picking kits up how did they turn out all world beaters?

Y.I.S Leeview

Seeing as the title of this thread was top tips....here's the best one I've ever learned... JUST BECAUSE THERE OLDER..IT DON'T MEAN THERE WISER.

So here goes in reply to one of our older and supposedly wiser members.

Have you ever had to or wanted to get your ferret out of a warren without digging it out ? If so in your infinite wisdom..how is this achieved when its scratching away at a bunnys ass ? Plus how many times have you had the ferret balled up with a bunny in more than one place in a warren ? you think its 1 rabbit moving and it 2 or 3 seperate bunnys all stuck up tubes..the ferret comes away from one to another and the one he was on previously then has chance to bolt,which it often does..

Trying to compare a terrier battling below ground face to face with a Fox and a Lurcher in hot pursuit of a course is stupid...really isnt it ? Because that's at the height of its adrenalin flow...now if you compared the ferret coming off a rabbits throat in the middle of a death roll I would be thinking you had a point because it would be jacking from its objective. . yes they will stay scratching away at a balled up bunnies arse until they are dug too obviously ...but what if you cannot dig them ?

Don't forget I've seen you work old chap. . Stick to making the wheels pal..cause that's the most work your team gets...

My line's a lot better than your netting lines...so don't even go there.

No I've never been in a rush to get a ferret out of a warren I have all the time in the world to let the ferrets get on with their job,thats how it was done late 50's no locators just a liner to rely on and patience.Here again how can you tell the ferret is moving between 2 or 3 rabbits underground surely it should be sticking with 1 rabbit till its dug or killed and move on IMHO.

A terrier is entered to find and bolt the fox or hold it until dug hows that different to what you expect a ferret to do? Dont ferrets have adrenalin?

I had nt forgot I'd seen you work remember it well slow start and a wood was strimmed(me I'd of gone back at least after a couple of days)your mate dug down and got a 4wk old squeaker killed by the ferret in one hand and the ferret in the other he then asks "what shall I do now?" you said "put it back down there might be more" he put the squeaker back down :icon_eek:

The following week you brought a 12 week old hob kit to try out, that was bred from a polecat hob that you'd found in a drop trap along with several dead rabbits.

then I got pm's from you asking if I could help you get permission in the dales as you wanted some of your own

Im still turning the wheels out on a weekly basis are you still singing?

Whats a netting line?

Your lines?you used to keep jills, then hobs were the way to go,you put the miles in last year picking kits up how did they turn out all world beaters?

Y.I.S Leeview

I will give the the reply it seems to deserve..

1..No I've never been in a rush to get a ferret out of a warren I have all the time in the world to let the ferrets get on with their job,thats how it was done late 50's no locators just a liner to rely on and patience.Here again how can you tell the ferret is moving between 2 or 3 rabbits underground surely it should be sticking with 1 rabbit till its dug or killed and move on IMHO.

A liner to rely on and patience.. Don't talk shit man..

I can tell the ferret is moving because I know how to use my locator to see what is going on below ground obviously..and sometimes there is more than one rabbit refusing to be evicted,,, How many times have you dug multiple holes on a warren and pulled rabbits from every dig.. . and I don't mean multiple holes while the little jill is being dragged all over with 1 rabbit.

2..A terrier is entered to find and bolt the fox or hold it until dug hows that different to what you expect a ferret to do? Don't ferrets have adrenalin?

Its basically the same principle as you well know old man... But If anyone is really honest they would rather the rabbit bolted than face the ferret...whereas with terrier men they would rather the fox was dug if they are honest... Obviously a ferret should stay with a bunny until it is dug or dead,That is obvious and why you have to make such a point about it being a Jacker if it moves from its post for a moment is basically stupid and petty and non productive to anyone learning anything.

As for Adrenalin...Don't talk shite again... Scratching at a 2 inch tuft of bunny arse and soil VS being locked onto the throat or crushing the top/back of the skull whilst locked on to bunny.... which would be more exciting to a ferret ?

That young lad was a kid who was there to learn the ropes and do some manual labour because it was a paid pest control job wasn't it ? He learned not to put the baby rabbit back down on day 1 with lots of laughter from all the others stood watching (note watching ), Yes he was a rough diamond,but he learned a few things... funnily enough even though he,s only a kid,...your trying to make him/me look daft or inexperienced maybe ? He had your card marked before the 2nd day was done.. 3 weeks is a long time isn't it.

So while we're on the subject... what about the Young Jill kit I brought out with me one of the days...? It was a very big jill kit...bigger than any of my hobs.. it went down and came out and if I remember it probably bolted rabbits... Its mother certainly did, everyday of the 3weeks,she was dug to plenty and also caught rabbits on top in cover because she was a dam good jill..What about the Box trap Hob ? I had one litter and then had him vasectomised and kept him till he died last year... he was a beast of a ferret. . Jill was lost in an accident . 2 years ago..The jill kit is still working,but with a keeper I gave her to as a favor..( and to secure more permissions ) so the point is ?

Then you get PMs of me asking to help me get permissions of which you have lots and lots because you know everything and everyone who is worth knowing? Yes I did ask you to help me get a foot into my own permissions up North ? Did you ? I'm sure everyone could guess the answer to that.

I got some eventually ..then some more...then lots more. . I now have more than enough Local,North and South,

4.. Your lines?you used to keep jills, then hobs were the way to go,you put the miles in last year picking kits up how did they turn out all world beaters?

I don't have a line of ferrets...I'm not old enough.. I did used to keep all jills and a Vasectomized Hob because it was easier to keep them all together and i did have some very good jills..But I lost the best 2 jills whilst working them and never found good enough replacements for them, over 2 seasons i tried many and none were good enough.. That is until an old mate gave me one of his hob kits 2 seasons ago.. I was a convert after the 1st day.

So last year i did put some miles in and went out of my way to get some new blood from some old lines and one very old line in particular... Funnily enough they did all turn out OK except for 1 pair out of 4 pairs... Tomo's hob took a kicking from a big buck and spewed and its sister was Ok for a jill but not as big as I would have liked.. the rest are doing very very well. My hobs kits both were killing on their 1st trips out and have got it down to a fine art by the end of this 1st season just gone... I wouldn't say there world beaters...but they know what there job is and they love it long time..They don't leave a warren until its empty and they don't get dragged around and they kill very quickly... MY other hob is a very good lad and he simply get the job done..full stop.

5.. Whats a netting line?

I was being condescending and a twat referring to your Nets... You know the ones that the rabbits kept escaping through ? the one with the foooking holes in them...the ones you had made. . The ones your were invariably stood holding over a gateway whilst everyone else was actually doing some graft and sweating there sacks off.. Every morning your sat there knitting away making nets...But failed to repair the holes in the ones your using for the job in hand. . . Your stood mocking the young lad who's grafting with his hands and digging like a navvy,Whilst your stood there talking bollox about some Lord/Lady/Colonel /Sgt Major up his own arse bullshit to anyone in the near vicinity who will listen... You never offered to dig ? you avoided anything that involved graft at every opportunity... You have the cheek to have a go because I brought a young kit out for the day.. It was accompanied by two of my workers at the time... whereas you didn't bring a ferret or a dog on any day during the 3 weeks did you ? Who did the paid follow up jobs ,clearing the last few after we had finished the main contract ?

I stand by what I said originally... You might be twice my age ...but you don't know it all and certainly are not in a position to think you can talk down to me as if your the final word in whats what.

In the real world,By the time you had finished talking about what your going to do and then implementing it on any given rabbit removal job...I would be digging the last rabbit out and having my dinner, before you start. ..the end result would not be the same either because you probably keep ferrets that really are Jackers.. ?

PS... The singing pays a lot better than wooden wheels old chap..Plus it has many other advantages. :tongue2:

:hmm:Spewed, Jacked,...I ain't keen on such emotive terms,...facts are, 'anyone and anything' can be made to quit.... :yes:Lots of variables come into play,...nothing is completely straightforward....Obviously,..some critters, both animal and human,..just ain't cut out to be hunters,...they do not have it in them. :no:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 3

Vin,,,which hob spewed?

That big albino that took a beating on one of his 1st trips out. . .he had plenty of opportunity but failed.

Yeh ,,,forgot about him.....lol,,,,

Kept him for a few month after ,,,and we tried him many times,,,it's not ofton you get a ferret that just isn't interested in chasing ,,killing rabbits,,,,that fecker just didn't want to know....