The Working Ferrets Future.

Guest vin

Its that time of year again where all the young ferret kits are being advertised for sale through various outlets etc etc.

It amazes me every time i see the adverts and the descriptions of all the different types of ferrets there is for sale..Don't even get me started on the prices they are selling at in adverts...Micro's,Angoras,Greyhound,EU Polecat crosses, and Ive even heard of Mink being used in hybrids,. Prices have me amazed and intrigued to see who would be buying these kits and for what reason ?

Its a crying shame for the poor old Working ferret....Generations of badly bred stock has ruined what was once a great a noble hunting partner.

I really do think that all the top working lines from the whole of the country need to be conserved between the owners and fellow hunters..We need to start a breeding programme and preserve what is left of old lines and genuine working bred stock.

I know many individuals who have been trying to do this for themselves for many years.... but if these people don't come out of the woodwork and start sharing and allowing other fellow hunters/workers of these critters to have access to each others best stock etc etc...I really do think the future of true working ferrets is completely doomed.

I would like to see in the future a " WFA " WORKING FERRET ASSOCIATION .

one of the best posts I have ever read on this site vin. So true we need to stop worrying about what colour or what our ferrets are crossed with and start worrying about preserveing the working ability of the WORKING ferret before we loose it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never subscribed to the notion that 'All ferrets will work, if given the chance'.. .

Most ferrets if worked from a very young age will work to a lesser or greater degree,however i feel if you constantly breed from a bad line of ferrets ,ie slow lazy workers,bad biters,skulkers and fer

Good luck running wfa vin,,,,,lol

Spoke to a fella other day, just got a new hob and was thinking about getting him snipped. I said I had my one done, and regretted it as he is a great worker, good size etc. In hindsight a good breeder, with a good working female.

He is going to hold off, and test him all through the season. If he is a good en, won't snip, not so good snip.

I think it's a good idea. You?

Its that time of year again where all the young ferret kits are being advertised for sale through various outlets etc etc.

It amazes me every time i see the adverts and the descriptions of all the different types of ferrets there is for sale..Don't even get me started on the prices they are selling at in adverts...Micro's,Angoras,Greyhound,EU Polecat crosses, and Ive even heard of Mink being used in hybrids,. Prices have me amazed and intrigued to see who would be buying these kits and for what reason ?

Its a crying shame for the poor old Working ferret....Generations of badly bred stock has ruined what was once a great a noble hunting partner.

I really do think that all the top working lines from the whole of the country need to be conserved between the owners and fellow hunters..We need to start a breeding programme and preserve what is left of old lines and genuine working bred stock.

I know many individuals who have been trying to do this for themselves for many years.... but if these people don't come out of the woodwork and start sharing and allowing other fellow hunters/workers of these critters to have access to each others best stock etc etc...I really do think the future of true working ferrets is completely doomed.

I would like to see in the future a " WFA " WORKING FERRET ASSOCIATION .

one of the best posts I have ever read on this site vin. So true we need to stop worrying about what colour or what our ferrets are crossed with and start worrying about preserveing the working ability of the WORKING ferret before we loose it.

Very kind of you to say so... thanks.

Spoke to a fella other day, just got a new hob and was thinking about getting him snipped. I said I had my one done, and regretted it as he is a great worker, good size etc. In hindsight a good breeder, with a good working female.

He is going to hold off, and test him all through the season. If he is a good en, won't snip, not so good snip.

I think it's a good idea. You?

I've got 3 hobs and there all intact.. I don't want to take a chance on losing any of there working ability from having them castrated etc etc..Plus I will use them for Studs if they continue to improve over the next season or 2.

When people are selling kitts off they always end up with the hobs left over and surplus because everyone wants jills.. Some folk even cull the hobs in a litter for fear of being left with too many..

Lots of people who keep ferrets may have 2/3/4 jils and maybe 1 hob that gets out on the odd occasion for a bit of graft because jills are favored for work.

In my opinion after years and years of preferring jills myself... I would have no jills in my team for work.

1 good hob is worth 2-3 good jills on a long days ferreting.

Cheers vin.I like using the hob myself. If another comes into my hands, I would keep him intact, make sure he is a good en, and use him over my best Jill, hopefully produce good workers again.

When will the WFA be starting up? Count me in.

Atb

I know nothing as about ferrets vin but I heard a fella saying that they don't really need to be out of working parents because there natural born killers

Theres ferrets that will go down a hole and bolt a few then there's working ferrets that will clear a warren and will push most out.

I know nothing as about ferrets vin but I heard a fella saying that they don't really need to be out of working parents because there natural born killers

Theres ferrets that will go down a hole and bolt a few then there's working ferrets that will clear a warren and will push most out.

I've got 2 Jill sisters that one of them will go down and get a few out but the other one is quality won't come out until there's nothing left in there, I've just bred the better one out of the 2 and got 5 kits out of her 1 Jill witch I will keep and 4 hobs and I'll probably keep 1 of the hob aswell