Lost Skills?

its knowledge...not SKILL finds the terrier... where to bar where to listen too.... what too listen for... and the art of blocking out the wind the rain the wet under your jeans you shouldn't have wore out... the banter going on beside you work the next day and many other things...... its tuning in to doing a job professionally and humanely....to be honest the terrier and quarry really don't mind whats going on above... there quite happy sizing each other up... after all its only natural they encounter the same thing daily with territory food breeding and so on...just humans love to tell folk they have it sussed when they don't! get out there answer your own questions... that's terrierwork!

That's a load of rubbish.

Why do you think a terrier is most under pressure at the end of a dig ?

Anyone with a bit of skill would know the reason.

Neil you give this man a hard time all the time

If I see a post that I think is a load of rubbish I'll say so, that's my privilege

If he post's a lot of shite that's his

But, that statement that Stop End made is something that I've heard many lads say and it always pisses me off, not just because Stop End said it.

A lot of lads do not realise the pressure that's on a terrier coming near the end of a dig and when they break through they see their terrier but haven't the brains to see that the quarry has just got by it then they blame the terrier when often it is their fault.

I've even seen one clown answer his mobile phone just as he was about to break through.

To a terrier man when you are reaching a terrier at that moment in time that dig is the most important thing in the world to you.

So to say that the terrier and the quarry don't care about any noise above them is a load of rubbish IMO.

Edited by neil cooney
  • Like 4

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best terrier men will get the most from a situation with or without the finder .The old Deben was far from failsafe and sometimes got damp leaving a dog to be found the old way .Electric fences se

The more I learn the more I realise I didn't know ! I like that saying because I learn everytime I go out or try to . I've seen men that've dug for years and still not learn from their mistakes be

Personally I think it has improved terrier work in lots of ways, dogs are being used in places that you wouldn't even consider without a locator, the standard of terrier work is far superior today wit

Right gentleman I have a second question if it is the case that skills are being lost maybe some of you more experienced gents could explain what skills or tricks of the trade you don't see being used

The Reasoning that all terriers need to be dug to or they are culls,something the advent of the collar and box instills into some of lesser terrier etiquette.

its knowledge...not SKILL finds the terrier... where to bar where to listen too.... what too listen for... and the art of blocking out the wind the rain the wet under your jeans you shouldn't have wore out... the banter going on beside you work the next day and many other things...... its tuning in to doing a job professionally and humanely....to be honest the terrier and quarry really don't mind whats going on above... there quite happy sizing each other up... after all its only natural they encounter the same thing daily with territory food breeding and so on...just humans love to tell folk they have it sussed when they don't! get out there answer your own questions... that's terrierwork!

If I see a post that I think is a load of rubbish I'll say so, that's my privilege

But, that statement that Stop End made is something that I've heard many lads say and it always pisses me off, not just because Stop End said it.

A lot of lads do not realise the pressure that's on a terrier coming near the end of a dig and when they break through they see their terrier but haven't the brains to see that the quarry has just got by it then they blame the terrier when often it is their fault.

I've even seen one clown answer his mobile phone just as he was about to break through.

To a terrier man when you are reaching a terrier at that moment in time that dig is the most important thing in the world to you.

So to say that the terrier and the quarry don't care about any noise above them is a load of rubbish IMO.

and if he is passing as you break through get your hand straight on the c*nt and make sure you don't let go because he won't be so easy to bottle up the second time round...and don't worry if he takes a finger off you got 9 more ?
  • Like 3

Neil are you sure it wasn't a woman answering her mobile in the dig? I hear they are good at multitasking lol. Seriously though, I do agree with you on that issue all the same.
  • Like 1

Morton that is a totally different debate and I'm no where near experienced enough to start that one personally I don't get the work or die attitude but that's coz I'm just soft

Its totally relevant to the debate,sadly that emphasis,s the point in question about lost skills and lack of working knowledge.

Right gentleman I have a second question if it is the case that skills are being lost maybe some of you more experienced gents could explain what skills or tricks of the trade you don't see being used

The lost skills the more experienced men are the ability to use a spade anymore!

so you don't know of any so state the obvious very drull

with that attitude towards "work or die" lee you will end up with a load more rabbiters in youre kennels, hard decisions have to be made, remember these dogs were bred for earth work its the only reason there in existance, look after the veterans give them a home for life, put feelings on the back burner for the jibbers or you will NEVER have good dogs, a sad fact of the terrier game

• Like 3

Im only digging proper 2years now and i could even say 100% the fox is well aware of whats going on over him. As for skills of all the 'hunting' lads i know, there is only 1man able to teach me a bit of the skills without collar. So id say yes from what i see the skills are nearly gone all ready !!! Its sad really

Zilverhaze,good one patience,I've seen lads part with potential workers,passed to older fellas,it was generally "no boy don't shoot Im,give him to me and I'll see how he goes,"so two seasons later the dog is flying and sticking to the job,and the young lads have been through another two dogs,and still ain't happy,

The lost skills the more experienced men are the ability to use a spade anymore!
I dont mean for it to sound that way I know it's not rocket science but there must be old fellas out there who know a trick or two I used to know an old boy who tought me how to take allsorts of game in many different ways must be some tricks to this job

Lee your trying to make terrier work sound complicated! You'll soon relise that all the experts are full of shit, and you don't need a phd to work terriers. Just go and enjoy working your dogs, you'll probably learn more from your mistakes along the way

Lee your trying to make terrier work sound complicated! You'll soon relise that all the experts are full of shit, and you don't need a phd to work terriers. Just go and enjoy working your dogs, you'll probably learn more from your mistakes along the way

You can read all the books ever written and listen to those that know all night long and your'll still learn more on one dig with a terrier to ground and a spade in your hand :yes: ,so agree totaly 5 feet :thumbs: ..

• Like 3