Foxhounds

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is it walker/trig fine example of a racy hound owned by gilliers

heres my theory on it , if your adding any amount of foxhound too running dog ie lurcher , then exspect it too hunt like a hound , yeah it would add size and confirmation , it may open up when hunting

Youre not wrong Ray ,around Christmas we were ferreting over Cheshire and the farmer warned us the hunt was coming through later in the morning.....we did the part they were expected to come through f

Posted Images

It's trail hounds that are quiet on a hunt Bird, not fell hounds.

thanks , are they much different then to fell hounds,? are these the ones they use for the race,they looked in the vid to have great stamina and fair pace about them, as said maybe 3/8 trail hound x 5/8 grey might not be bad lurcher. if you wanted a dog for hard long night lamping , my mate had bull x grey x foxhound x grey , but that was massive prob only good for one thing lol. the trail hound x grey might make better type alround lurcher.

Did you find the hound cross biddable Straight2hand ?

These dogs do everything you would expect of a lurcher and I have always worked a lurcher off the lead to heel on the lamp, Tan (the first x) is the only lurcher my uncle has owned (and he has had many in about 35 years in the game) that actually had a pop at someone who approached him while out lamping - hair standing up and teeth out the lot!

He did everything required run, jump, catch and carry. The sister did the same, they just lacked that speed for a hare. My uncle bred the lines and I had the dog for two seasons and believe me my uncle couldn't tolerate a lurcher that didn't do as it was told.

Thanks for that. Two breeds that have bad reputations are the greyhound and the foxhound but in my opinion these reputations are usually believed by those who don't know them.

A greyhound when reared like a lurcher is every bit as biddable and I have seen large packs of foxhounds handled better by a good huntsman than a single gundog handled by a single shooting man.

Like I say, the hound cross had a big reputation years ago and I couldn't see why when the two are crossed that, in the right hands, they couldn't be a very useful hunting partner.

As I said before my own lurcher has a small percentage of foxhound in her but I can see it in her the way she works and I love it.

• Like 1

thanks , are they much different then to fell hounds,? are these the ones they use for the race,they looked in the vid to have great stamina and fair pace about them, as said maybe 3/8 trail hound x 5/8 grey might not be bad lurcher. if you wanted a dog for hard long night lamping , my mate had bull x grey x foxhound x grey , but that was massive prob only good for one thing lol. the trail hound x grey might make better type alround lurcher.

The videos that the lads put up are of trail hounds and their test is a race that comprises of stamina and speed with the hound using it's nose to follow the trail. They are quiet mute compared to other hounds because giving tongue is not necessary and could cost a little time.

The Fell hound is a hunting hound with a reputation for in-dependency and is quiet racier than some other hounds notably the Modern English and the Welsh.

But IMO all hounds should have an independent streak in them to enable them to work things out for themselves.

You don't see to many fell hounds over this side but there was a huntsman a few years back who I used to do a bit for and I asked him did he ever have any fell hounds ?

He had one once and it prefared to course his fox rather than hunt it so he drafted it to a local staghound pack. He asked the staghound huntsman how was the hound working out ?

He told him that the hound viewed the stag one time and hunted it single handed for 12 miles.

That's a good few years ago now.

heres my theory on it , if your adding any amount of foxhound too running dog ie lurcher , then exspect it too hunt like a hound , yeah it would add size and confirmation , it may open up when hunting , nose too the ground but there hounds for a pupose and I don't really see the point in mixing with running dog . modern English pretty fast over open ground but then lack in drawing because of size, I cant see the benefits too adding hound too running dogs , if you want lurchers too hunt like hounds then add what you like , but why not just use perfectly suitable hound , lurchers are lurchers for purpose , hounds are hounds for purpose ,choose one or the other , you out cross them then you just aswell flip a coin . these lurchers by a.edwards apparently have hound , or my guess would be he ran them with hounds ?

this is one of the silly things what will mess up good lurcher breeding I personally think , ,start out crossing there will be problem after problem , imo

If you add Collie to a lurcher do they all round up sheep,Saluki and they can only run on sand,Bedlington and they only work at Crufts,etc,etc,etc.When adding anything to lurcher breeding you breed for the desired traits from both parents,educate accordingly and look further than the first litter,the next stage of the breeding plan,or the one after,may bear the fruit of the original breeding.The majority of tried,tested and productive lurcher development was undertaken by some with a little more vision than the Dinosaurs.

Morton , what are you looking for in a lurcher that the foxhound will give u ? ..................... im not saying it totally shouldn't , if you want too add fox hound then crack on ,........if you don't want a lurcher too open up and hunt up when lamping then why would you risk fox hound , all im getting across is that , if you want a daytime lurcher that opens up and hunts up , nose down then yes add hound , but then why not use a hound ?

im weighing up the pros and cons and I personally don't see the point adding hound blood too a lurcher , why not get a hound ?

if people added more hound blood willy nilly then mark my words it will do no favours too lurchers being passed about because there doing what the owners don't want ?

I couldn't give two shites if you want too use hound and you want there nose and noise and there pack mentality then go for it !

people not knowing what there getting as generations back theres hound and the attributes come through what is not wanted !

edit too say there pack animals for a reason , don't think for one minute that adding this is going too get you the ultimate foxing lurcher , as it rarely will happen every member in a pack adds there bit too make the pack a very efficient hunter ,.......... they would never hunt as efficient as a pack and if your running them with a pack then why not use hounds ?

• Like 3

The videos that the lads put up are of trail hounds and their test is a race that comprises of stamina and speed with the hound using it's nose to follow the trail. They are quiet mute compared to other hounds because giving tongue is not necessary and could cost a little time.

The Fell hound is a hunting hound with a reputation for in-dependency and is quiet racier than some other hounds notably the Modern English and the Welsh.

But IMO all hounds should have an independent streak in them to enable them to work things out for themselves.

You don't see to many fell hounds over this side but there was a huntsman a few years back who I used to do a bit for and I asked him did he ever have any fell hounds ?

He had one once and it prefared to course his fox rather than hunt it so he drafted it to a local staghound pack. He asked the staghound huntsman how was the hound working out ?

He told him that the hound viewed the stag one time and hunted it single handed for 12 miles.

That's a good few years ago now.

My uncle always said a Foxhound would be blowing out its ar$e running on the fells all day! but a Fell hound on open ground would catch a fox on its todd! Thats why he chose the Fell for his lines, I can tell you now the first cross Fellhound/greyhound I ran pulled a fallow on the lamp single handed no problem (pre ban) and he had a few more, not like thats a big boast as any fair size lurcher will pull a deer. I found a hoof mark on the inside of his hind leg after a course and that dog never murmured, game as anything.

• Like 1

Who gives a feck if it opens up.

Not everyone on here is working some scrub land on the other side of a council estate.

Some vast swathes of moor land within reach of most folks here in the u.k.

Fast hunting, working types, raking over a vast moor...

not stood at your heel, looking up waiting for a command!!

A drop of fell blood, surey they'll work on boys...

i really should not here when im pished!!!!

• Like 1

Morton , what are you looking for in a lurcher that the foxhound will give u ? ..................... im not saying it totally shouldn't , if you want too add fox hound then crack on ,........if you don't want a lurcher too open up and hunt up when lamping then why would you risk fox hound , all im getting across is that , if you want a daytime lurcher that opens up and hunts up , nose down then yes add hound , but then why not use a hound ?

im weighing up the pros and cons and I personally don't see the point adding hound blood too a lurcher , why not get a hound ?

if people added more hound blood willy nilly then mark my words it will do no favours too lurchers being passed about because there doing what the owners don't want ?

I couldn't give two shites if you want too use hound and you want there nose and noise and there pack mentality then go for it !

people not knowing what there getting as generations back theres hound and the attributes come through what is not wanted !

edit too say there pack animals for a reason , don't think for one minute that adding this is going too get you the ultimate foxing lurcher , as it rarely will happen every member in a pack adds there bit too make the pack a very efficient hunter ,.......... they would never hunt as efficient as a pack and if your running them with a pack then why not use hounds ?

Damn... thats a good post! ;)

Seen a few fox's that could have got chopped,If the single fox hound they bumped into around cover had the balls.

You run 30 lurchers on fox they will all have a rag don't mean there all single handed.

• Like 2

Seen a few fox's that could have got chopped,If the single fox hound they bumped into around cover had the balls.

You run 30 lurchers on fox they will all have a rag don't mean there all single handed.

:thumbs:

As Bird as said I owned a bull grey x fell hound x grey lurcher , Fell not fox though , I had to let him go for personal reasons but if I could have any dog back it would be him ..............27 tts , head like a bucket , coat like a wire brush , awesome jaw power , never opened up once , was a very solitary dog , got that from the hound I guess , he would grab a fox , shake it , drop it and walk away , never seen a dog so clinical !! Yes , plenty of bull xs will do this too but he gave me some fun , slipped him on a rabbit one night ...............he came back with a hare ! ..............lad who had him lamped him out of a Landy on reds , said he could hold them till they got to him even if they had jabbed him , I wouldn't flinch at trying another one out of good breeding .

As Bird as said I owned a bull grey x fell hound x grey lurcher , Fell not fox though , I had to let him go for personal reasons but if I could have any dog back it would be him ..............27 tts , head like a bucket , coat like a wire brush , awesome jaw power , never opened up once , was a very solitary dog , got that from the hound I guess , he would grab a fox , shake it , drop it and walk away , never seen a dog so clinical !! Yes , plenty of bull xs will do this too but he gave me some fun , slipped him on a rabbit one night ...............he came back with a hare ! ..............lad who had him lamped him out of a Landy on reds , said he could hold them till they got to him even if they had jabbed him , I wouldn't flinch at trying another one out of good breeding .

I knew he was good on foxes, and hell of a bite on him . what was his stamina like,? did he get any from the fell hound in him, or was it just the bull / grey he picked up . like said on here that bit of hound added to a bullx grey not bad thing if they pick up the wind from them .

Ray , he would run all night but think his prey drive was his main asset , he just loved killing things ! ...............I often wonder how he ended up as the lad who bred him had to have the dad put down in his old age as he attacked a couple of dogs without warning .