Garden Maintence Work?

I have over the years become more and more disinterested in my job, so I am looking at doing something different, as I like gardening, I am thinking about garden maintenance.

Does anybody on here do garden maintenance for a living and if so can you give me any tips?

Firstly what would be a good vehicle for someone with no off street parking at home?

How should I go about building a client base?

What are the minimum services I should offer and what is the best paid work?

Cheers

Andy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a gardener. I target high end gardens and work throughout the year. This site has lots of info http://landscapejuicenetwork.com/forum/topics Don't sell yourself too cheap its easy to be busy whe

Shepp take the plunge i was the same as you bud, every morning waking up thinking there's got to be more to life than this shite. It takes balls but my god im alot happier for it. Like the lads say

your bread & butter is in grass cutting alone I have 100 gardens to do on a fortnightly basis small[stampsized] gardens £5 [you will be surprised how much these bring in] £10 for back n front -get

A good family friend of ours is a gardener and he does really well in the summer, he makes enough to have November - February off work and goes away for a long break in the sun. His son does a few bits and bobs for him through the winter but on the whole, there is little work. So be prepared for that. Ideal for hunting mind.

I think building up a client base would be the hardest part.

I have someone come and cut my front lawn and trim the hedge once a fortnight for £25. It takes him about half an hour.

He also offers other services like jet washing, re-sanding and sealing block paving, fencing repairs and new fencing.

Good luck in your new venture.

• Like 2

Dont bother with flyers everyone bins them mate .If you have a local advertiser get your name in that .Never turn down any job because its too small ,leads to better things if you do a good job .Start cut throat prices ,youll need to and creep them up as time goes on .Take away all rubbish as some dont .

• Like 4

you need to wrap doors,every 20 you hit you get a job usualy .then when you get a job in a cul.de.sac say you hit the rest of the doors saying ime working for your neighbour ive some stuff left over bla.bla.bla..just get a trailer to start with,,,,

• Like 1

your bread & butter is in grass cutting alone I have 100 gardens to do on a fortnightly basis small[stampsized] gardens £5 [you will be surprised how much these bring in] £10 for back n front -get a good quality mower Honda or a Viking -5hp or more extras are hedges weeding etc -but if you can get enough grass only stay clear of weeding [too time consuming] 20yrs experience

• Like 4

I have over the years become more and more disinterested in my job, so I am looking at doing something different, as I like gardening, I am thinking about garden maintenance.

Does anybody on here do garden maintenance for a living and if so can you give me any tips?

Firstly what would be a good vehicle for someone with no off street parking at home?

How should I go about building a client base?

What are the minimum services I should offer and what is the best paid work?

Cheers

Andy

if your on facebook start your own page and ask all your friends to share and go on buy and sell pages twitter is another one get some business cards printed and ask to leave them at shops doctors vets bingo halls see if theres any tea morning for the elderly in your area or a age concern etc if theres a home help book in your area ask to be put in it if you see a garden that looks rough give the door a knock offer garden clearances cleaning gutters grass cutting power washing see if any garden centers fencing manufactures will take your cards and get your van sign wrote and may be a sign you could leave in view when your working good luck matey

• Like 3

Shepp take the plunge i was the same as you bud, every morning waking up thinking there's got to be more to life than this shite. It takes balls but my god im alot happier for it.

Like the lads say grasscutting maintance is your bread & butter but if you can lay patios/driveways ie block work or even hard landscaping with abit fencing work thrown in for good measure is a bonus try and expand your skills and what you can offer to the customer even if its offering to clean the gutters front and back. Reduced pricing for oap's is a start.... you get where im comi g from?

Yeah your winter time is your lean time but maybe offer a service like minor repair for storm damage like fixing guttering or replacing loose roof tiles maybe alittle pointing work here and their. Dont forget you can also carry out alot of garden maintenance in winter ie.. de-limbing on trees ect. I hope this has given you food for thaught!

ATB

MAG

• Like 5

Sorry as for vehicle ive a pick up and alot of my work is through word of mouth but a good mate who retired had a-word with his customers and they agree'd t for me to continue and carry on with the work under the condition i kept my rates the same.... booosh money in the pocket kid.

ATB

MAG

• Like 3

I'm a gardener. I target high end gardens and work throughout the year.

This site has lots of info http://landscapejuicenetwork.com/forum/topics

Don't sell yourself too cheap its easy to be busy when you are charging £10 per hour but when you take off your tax, NI and insurances plus depreciation you'll be on less than the minimum wage I try and avoid charging by the hour and charge per job but you should be looking to be pulling in £20 to £30 per hour which is easily achievable. Don't forget your spraying certificates etc and don't buy cheap machinary it will cost you more in the end.

• Like 6

Best way to build up client base is getting your foot in the door with cheap lawn-mowing service and then you start racking up the side jobs, hedges, fencing etc etc :victory:

• Like 2

Abit off subject but only as someone said there has to be more to life than this. How many people love their job? If you won the lottery would you still work? crazy to me if ya do but honestly think my dad would. Most i know dislike their job or say they cant see themselves doing it for years tl come. They probably will be though lol.

• Like 1

I pay have a couple of lads do a day a week here through the summer. once a month through the winter. They charge £10/hour each. The best advise I can give is be honest. Dont bullshit excuses. Get a reliable and tidy vehicle.Pick ups look good, but are thirsty and easy for stuff to nicked from. transit sized van, so even if its p#ssing down you have somewhere dry to change/sit.

when starting dont be frightened of the dirty jobs. Most people can and will mow their own lawns. Its the weeding and other crappy bits they hate

Edited by trenchfoot
  • Like 2