• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my fella

The pic

This is the dam to my pup

Posted Images

I remember talking to a lad at a yorkshire show that had a real smart lurcher with him proper stamp it was, he said it was a pickardy lurcher x beardie deerhound lurcher n swore by it..

Dodger how long you talking ago .. As mine is same but apparently no beardie but I beg to differ .. Mines 4 year old now and the guy who bred her was from Keighly

• 5 years later...
On 09/05/2015 at 15:45, grompz said:

just recently read an intresting article on this cross in an edrd magazine,the bloke who was creating this strain was mark treadwell,any of you guys ever used ,owned or worked any of these dogs that mark was producing at the time,think i seen some advertised in cwm some years ago,did they ever catch on, how good were they,or were they just a money maker,never heard any reports of them,think the article was written about 2007,just curious.

We had a picardy  lurcher from Mark about 15 years ago. He was the most fantastic  dog, loyal to the hilt,excellent  in the field. Brilliant  loyal companion  and good guard  dog, total love and so gentle  with his family. Sadly  missed.

9 hours ago, Tracey jeffery said:

We had a picardy  lurcher from Mark about 15 years ago. He was the most fantastic  dog, loyal to the hilt,excellent  in the field. Brilliant  loyal companion  and good guard  dog, total love and so gentle  with his family. Sadly  missed.

thanks for the reply. intresting to hear what your experience with this type was, sounds like the type of dog i would certainly have a go with, have you got any pics of him, do you know if mark is still breeding or has he moved onto summat else,strange you never got another from him, or did you go for another type of lurcher,atb.

On 11/05/2015 at 13:52, skycat said:

They were a guarding herding breed; don't think they've been a real working breed since the second world war, when they almost died out. Rumour has it that more than a few breeds were used to widen the gene pool shortly after the war, including Husky: don't know the truth. Two of ours are very good guard dogs, the third is an airhead :laugh: but not when she's working. I would say that they are a lot more driven than many Border Collie lurchers; there is something more primitive as a hunter, a directness that some Collie lurchers seem to lack, but I've had the odd Collie lurcher very similar, though I'm by no means an expert on Collies. To be honest, I can't really compare them with anything else I've had in lurchers. They aren't very sociable with dogs they don't know, and very much one man dogs.

Skycat is they not 3 types of picardy hurders ? One being a small type with a ruff coat ? I'm sure i see a doc about goat herders who had these types to protect the herd from wolves etc .

The larger ones stayed on outskirts of the herd ranging while small one stayed close ,they looked a hardy bunch 

I honestly don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if locally to the region they come from there are different varieties. I couldn't find any reference to different types online though. Maybe it's a similar situation to the Belgian Shepherd: the Lakenois has practically disappeared from what I've read.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, grompz said:

thanks for the reply. intresting to hear what your experience with this type was, sounds like the type of dog i would certainly have a go with, have you got any pics of him, do you know if mark is still breeding or has he moved onto summat else,strange you never got another from him, or did you go for another type of lurcher,atb.

A lad near Lester keeps this type  he offered me a pup couple yr ago .I see if I got his number still 

53 minutes ago, skycat said:

I honestly don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if locally to the region they come from there are different varieties. I couldn't find any reference to different types online though. Maybe it's a similar situation to the Belgian Shepherd: the Lakenois has practically disappeared from what I've read.

I suppose most areas had its own herders yrs ago ,the doc I see was about wolves in  pyrenees mountain range and the dogs the shepards used to safe guard the flocks .

On 09/05/2015 at 15:45, grompz said:

just recently read an intresting article on this cross in an edrd magazine,the bloke who was creating this strain was mark treadwell,any of you guys ever used ,owned or worked any of these dogs that mark was producing at the time,think i seen some advertised in cwm some years ago,did they ever catch on, how good were they,or were they just a money maker,never heard any reports of them,think the article was written about 2007,just curious.

Not seen them advertised much , but ones he had ment to good.

4 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Looking for a pup ,I no folk didn't like Hancock but at least you new you get a pup bred the way he said .

Very true and out off the masses of litters he bred, some turned out very good dogs... ?