Picardy X Beardie Lurchers

just recently read an intresting article on this cross in an edrd magazine,the bloke who was creating this strain was mark treadwell,any of you guys ever used ,owned or worked any of these dogs that mark was producing at the time,think i seen some advertised in cwm some years ago,did they ever catch on, how good were they,or were they just a money maker,never heard any reports of them,think the article was written about 2007,just curious.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my fella

The pic

This is the dam to my pup

Posted Images

Lives in Clifton Campville, near Tamworth Staffs. Brought the first one over from France in about 2007. Well thought of as a dog breeder with a terrific strain of beardies. Unfortunately not my best friend in all the world but hand it to him, one of the best around. What he don't know isn't worth knowing.

• Like 2

They certainly weren't a money maker: Mark bred them because of what they can do, not for any other reason. Genuine bloke who loves hunting. My OH has three: relentless hunters, determined, good strike and good for most types of work, though not out and out hare dogs. Loads of stamina for work all day, but not the running style/type for fen hares.

• Like 3

thankyou skycat,for your reply,did a seach on picardy lurchers,well impressed by the pictures of your oh lurchers,andthecomments by yourselfand other folk who own and work them,sound like good alrounders,never see any pups for sale,must be snapped up pretty quickly.

So are they Picardie x or beardie/picardie x?

Both. Some are straight PIcardy Greyhound, others have Beardie in them as well, though I do believe that Mark was going back to the straight Picardy cross when we last met him.

• Like 2

They were a guarding herding breed; don't think they've been a real working breed since the second world war, when they almost died out. Rumour has it that more than a few breeds were used to widen the gene pool shortly after the war, including Husky: don't know the truth. Two of ours are very good guard dogs, the third is an airhead :laugh: but not when she's working. I would say that they are a lot more driven than many Border Collie lurchers; there is something more primitive as a hunter, a directness that some Collie lurchers seem to lack, but I've had the odd Collie lurcher very similar, though I'm by no means an expert on Collies. To be honest, I can't really compare them with anything else I've had in lurchers. They aren't very sociable with dogs they don't know, and very much one man dogs.

• Like 1

I got a beardie/picardy/grey x beardie/grey that shows a lot of Picardy genes. Bright dog with a lot of bottle.Thinks for him self and a good catch dog.He is as smart as any collie cross i have had but is way more committed and full on type.If i was a younger man i would breed my own line from this fella.The only thing that gets on my tits with him he is quite vocal around the house and guards the place like his life depends on it but does not open up when hunting.

• Like 2

That sounds about right: they get quite vocal when you get in, and just when they're about to go out: some straight Beardie lurchers are the same. Very enthusiastic greeting, and very alert to strangers about. Know a few, but like yours, dead silent when working.

• Like 2

I presume that most of the picardy lurchers mentioned on this thread, have all originated from marks stock,also why would mark want to go back to picardyx greyhound,droping the beardie out of the cross,would the reason being just to lose the beardies traits.