Greyhound Bitch

Like I said earlier no problem if someone wants to use a greyhound ,I even suggested using one of maxhardcores,that he kindly offered free to lurchers.Just use a good one if you are going to use one.

Just ain't of the option that you NEED to go back every few generations.

One question to the lad who asked for one though.........has these 12 pages got you a lurcher bitch lol

• Like 3

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a line bred pup the line has been going for 37 years don't think any pure has been added and there's plenty of speed in them just beddy grey x beddy grey

When we are making statements that a 'pure' needs to be added or we will lose speed, it is worth remembering that the coursing dogs of today have had no pure influence on many of their lines since the

im only making a comment on basic greyhounds my friend .ive trained greyhounds for syndicates etc in the past and kept and worked lurchers for nearly fifty years .ive been known to breed a few decent

Posted Images

Darcy you said your dog lacked a bit of speed top end does that come from selective breading or a fault of introduction of faster blood now keep it simple lads it's a debate not a war

I'm being critical about my own dog. What i call fast and what the next man calls fast may be two different things. It all boils down to what dog you are comparing it to and ...'what is fast'?

He is fast enough to fill the freezer.....

• Like 1

J darcy when you say half grey found wanting for the keen hunter do you mean a dog with a direct sire or dam as a grey or all dogs with about 50% grey in make up. If the later that very bold statement. I hunt 4-5 times a week if not more and when we out we are out none this back in three hour crap. One my bitches works out about 50% grey and she aint no relaxed life type. Just like i know other many other dedicated lads with dog performing well with 50% in the make up. Altho i do agree coursing bred stuff bred for generations has more to offer then a grey but to say only good for the one day a week brigade abit strong lol

All I meant is that pups bred from a pure MIGHT be found wanting. :victory:

The way I see it, why have a pup that is only 50% tested blood in it's background, when you can have a pup that has 100% tested background. Just my take on it. We all have our own ideas....

Best of both worlds, to get 100% working blood in a genuine first cross use a well tested greyhound! Out of curiosity jonathan and i dont know the answer but do you think or maybe know if the offspring off a fenn type saluki hybred to a lurcher would be as quick as those pups off a well worked and competed greyhound over the same lurcher?? Genuine question. I know there will be exceptions but as a general average.

Can I ask you what a 'fen type saluki hybrid ' is........

and, is there ANY well worked greyhounds in this country?

What i mean by the fen type saluki cross are exactly how i see them, bred for lasting rather than outright speed. Never witnessed any running on yer fens but from looking at clips lads put up i dont think they are compairable speed wise to what lads use on smaller rougher land in ire, i know you've ran dogs over here so thats why i asked your opinion, your in a better position to comment than me, If a dog where i hunt here isn't up his ass pronto he is gone!

In ireland yes there are some greyhounds tried tested and worked on game.

I would say going from the initial half xs there be no need to use direct grey blood, again for those who knocking big bags of bunnies ova or any edible for that matter coursing blood the ways ta go . And it goes to mention that coursing stock are lurchers been ironed with selection and saluki blood. It's not a coincidence that some of the recent and past big numbers of rabbits taken under the lamp that some of these animals had a drop of the saluki in them ,these lurchers been round for time and are what we say are the seventies lurchers .some took them on further for long ears others for general mooching lamping some xs end with bull for the extra drive others with curs for long ears and roe preban plus large bags a bunnies. for those keeping only maybe one animal the coursing dog with what Eva , will get thee a animal that his versatile add the other breed for suitability of game there be some that would say a good coursing bred schooled has a Lurcher can take some beating.atb bunnys.

• Like 3

Lamping dog x whippet/saluki type is my next mutt .. could of used my dog over a grey but i dont think the grey had anything to offer apart from speed, so didnt see the point ..

• Like 1

I honestly think they are well respected Staffs, this thred is testement to that.

Genuine 1st crosses of whatever type are still held in high regard, not just by the people who run em but by many who know they were/are the foundation of, well, just about everything!

But and it's a massive BUT times have moved on and a new (ish!) breed is here and here to stay. It brings much more into the equation than any purebred. If anyones so inclined, go traditional, stick with the greyhound, find a good 'un and you'll breed good, fast servicable offspring, to any lurcher out there but if you really think hard about it and you had a good, honest lurcher bitch that maybe lacked a bit of pace, would you 'only' find that pace in a greyhound... Or, would you want more...???

;)

Personnal I wouldn't touch coursing blood never mind breed it in to my bitch, and this is were myself and my usual lamping partner and also my lover bosun don't see eye to eye. Can't stand saluki crosses never could and I don't think I've got the patience for one so it wouldn't be fair on either party to have one in my kennels, although I do admire them for their coursing poweress.

• Like 1

Personally I dont need a really fast dog i don't hunt big fields but do a lot of woodland and hill work where somes speed does kill but not the quarry id rather have a intelligent dog than a very fast dog ! Also my dogs are no point and slip dogs I would never own a point and slip dog ! Hence why I need the tracking collars ! I like a dog to cast and hunt I think a pure grey would either kill or serious hurt itself hunting where I do !!

• Like 1

Personally I dont need a really fast dog i don't hunt big fields but do a lot of woodland and hill work where somes speed does kill but not the quarry id rather have a intelligent dog than a very fast dog ! Also my dogs are no point and slip dogs I would never own a point and slip dog ! Hence why I need the tracking collars ! I like a dog to cast and hunt I think a pure grey would either kill or serious hurt itself hunting where I do !!

Do you work in places like by where j lives we had andy grey through the quarries with my bitch. Crazy the grey come un marked as it sensible. That the biggest factor. My one bitch who all i use for day who got a nose like a beagle has no respect for her speed ripped her due claw off and whilst catching went off the edge of one the quarry drops. She split her nose and tore her ear and a gash up her side but very lucky. Least she got the kill. If it was higher she be dead.... Speed is great aslong as the dog has the brain to only go as fast as it needs. Something this young bitch needs to learn