Foxes !

after reading the worst lurcher post, and few lads have said that the amount dogs that (don't) like to tackle foxes more so once they been bitten by old Charlie lol, got me thinking regards dogs(lurchers). when you think about a fox is feck all compared to your average lurcher, foxes from 12-20lb and say mid size lurcher 35-70lb , a dog should deal with them no prob, and continue to do so there after . But they don't do they, even little 14lb terriers will give a better do with them. lol some dogs have what called( strong self preservation ) in them, maybe it stronger lurchers than terriers, we all know some xs of lurchers pit,wheaten,staff will wed to the fox job no prob, but even them after a while,will have enough of old Charlie nipping them. maybe some dogs give to much respect foxes, and we as humans don't have to physically deal with them so we dont . just a thought , trying to understand why some dogs are so wary of a little animal like a fox, could understand if it was a 35lb yote or a 10st timber wolf fair enough , but a little 16lb fox , logically cant understand why .!! but its all pre ban anyway, just a thought :yes:

• Like 1

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its easy to blame the dog. most lurchers that quit are entered to early and entered badly. by either imature or ignorant owners . that tend to be over enthusiastic or frustrated. sure a large percenta

Dogs descended from wolves are used to killing for food and used to killing animals that are born prey animals whos biggest defence is to run. In other words its not natural to kill a fox to eat (exce

Good single handed fox dogs are realistically few and far between. Foxing is my game and we do a lot of it. Hunting converts at weekends and lamping. I've brought lads out from up and down the country

Posted Images

Is it sometimes the dogs are not fit and after chase they blowing from they arse it will be a lot harder to kill then . And some dogs just make hard work of it and in the end they don't want it and dont put it all in at the final end were the fox should be caught and most will say that the dog missed it but really if you look hard you will see they don't want it I wouldn't keep one but many do they must be hungry to kill at all times

• Like 1

having been on the receiving end of old charlie :icon_redface: i can see why some dogs dont want it when getting bit trust me ray it fecking hurts and not just for a few minutes either my hand swelled up straight away and throbbed for a day or two :cray: so with that in mind i have the upmost respect for those dogs whos job it was to run them regular just happy memorys now im afraid ray ;)

• Like 2

Not from personal experience at all as I've only ever killed one fox with a lurcher but I've always thought the same i.e. odd that so many lurchers won't take fox whereas so many terriers will.

I read somewhere recently (I think it was in "In Defence of Dogs") that dogs have little appreciation of size differences, which is why you get so many huge dogs running away from gobby/gassy little things (little man syndrome). Apparently they simply don't realise they're smaller...not sure how much I believe that. :hmm:

Maybe, by combining the two, you get the answer, i.e. it's all in the mind; partly hard-wired and partly from experiences.

Foxes are not be underestimated. They are cat like lightning fast on the first bite.strong jaws very sharp teeth.we do fox for farmers all the time.had12 this week in amongst the new born lambs.all shot first

• Like 2

strange things dogs you cant tell what they will do by looking at them. seen dogs you would never expect tackle foxes and dogs you think will deffinatly do them not touch them. i think you underestimate the old fox a little bird. one dog one fox was great sport on the lamp preban especially once mister fox new the crack and realised there was a dog up his arse. seen some tough foxes in my time.

• Like 1

A mate of mine had a little terrier bitch that could Finnish the job in quick time and I mean quick, she just had the knack without taking to much herself . in saying that I've seen many terriers start out hard and try and trade with their foes so to speak and eventually spew.

I also had a saluki lurcher that had the knack of killing without taking hardly any stick and it was over almost instantly . And again I've seen loads of lurchers that seem hard and again bulk . Now from my own expirences there's not many dogs that have the intelligence coupled with heart and determination to Finnish the job without getting hurt be they large strong lurcher or tiny little terrier. Have got to say though I do think that a lurcher should do the job size wise , as its on paper a complete miss match .

You must have the wrong dogs for the job, and I have seen lurchers what you call cleaver and don't take a lot pain work, but these dog are looking for the right time and place to take the fox which can end up with the dog missing its quarry in stead of steaming in and sizing its fox, heart not in job

• Like 1

You must have the wrong dogs for the job, and I have seen lurchers what you call cleaver and don't take a lot pain work, but these dog are looking for the right time and place to take the fox which can end up with the dog missing its quarry in stead of steaming in and sizing its fox, heart not in job

sorry mate but do you mean me I must have the wrong dogs for the job ?

I've seen some good dogs on the old Charlie and I've seen the same dogs hang back and not take them and when they hang back is if they are sore or not 100% fit old Charlie is a dam good challenge for a dog its like coursing a hare that bites back when caught

• Like 1

No mate I mean the dog that are been disused if your dog Fock and fannies about to take its fox in the right place its likely to miss some foxes, by doing so seen it imo
  • Like 2

No mate I mean the dog that are been disused if your dog Fock and fannies about to take its fox in the right place its likely to miss some foxes, by doing so seen it imo
?