Make Your Own Tools Thread.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok a lot of folks showing interest in the deer antler Opinels i have been doing so did a step by step tutorial when i made Flackos one.Posting here to keep all my stuff on one thread.   Use surclip

Thanks Guys, Glad you like them.   Heres the latest made it today. It's a Opinel No 12. Carved a wolf paw on the end of the handle.              

Thanks again for the feedback, hope i didn't bore you with too much detail. Job now complete, couple of pics with stove fitted and first fire, works a treat and much more efficient/ controllable than

Posted Images

Like the way all the screw head slots are aligned in the same direction. A touch of class about that. :thumbs:

TC

OCD i guess, i can never have them pointing every which way, even in hinges all the slots have to be the same way, thankfully hardly ever use slottted any more, posi's can be any way and it doesn't bother me. :laugh:

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorting the brakes on my plant trailer yesterday and realized the biggest socket i had wasn't quite big enough to fit the hub nuts. Thought i would have a go at making one up. Had a rummage in the scrap pile and oped for a bit of high carbon bar from a tractor 3pt stabilizing arm and found a bit of box to take the 3/4 drive on my big swivel bar. Cut & welded for an hour then ground the welds with a flap disc. Hears the results.

P1050620_zpsskd7xpsj.jpg

P1050621_zpsgoijdlkm.jpg

P1050623_zpspb9iq74z.jpg

P1050624_zpsvvchm77d.jpg

P1050625_zpsmsqnnlbp.jpg

P1050628_zpsujdowu5a.jpg

P1050630_zpsvrihasbi.jpg

Wasn't sure if the welds would be up to the job but the nuts were stuck and i had 5 feet of scafold pipe on the end of the swivel bar and putting my full weight on it and it held up to the task! :thumbs:

• Like 11
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok a lot of folks showing interest in the deer antler Opinels i have been doing so did a step by step tutorial when i made Flackos one.Posting here to keep all my stuff on one thread.

Use surclip pliers to spring off the collar.

P1050853_zpsjegpux3f.jpg

P1050854_zps0dcru1pg.jpg

Pick the end of the rivet with the least flare and file the sides of the flare off.

P1050857_zpsxvoztytv.jpg

Punch out the rivet.

P1050861_zps7spgtf0b.jpg

Ease it out the other side with pliers so it doesn't shoot under the bench as you will need it to re-assemble.

P1050862_zpspasq8bq3.jpg

Now this is what you should have.

P1050866_zpsgearq9xt.jpg

Pick a suitable antler tine curved like a banana and straight the other way, not a corkscrew one.

P1050869_zpsj8l8imxx.jpg

Cut it off

P1050871_zpszqgphdtb.jpg

Shape the end roughly round, as it won't be.

P1050873_zpspet6tlwx.jpg

Then square the end.

P1050876_zpseioosbv5.jpg

Mark off where you want the shoulder. Make a tad longer then needed as it can be sanded exact once the collar is re-fitted.

P1050877_zpsskrn85sh.jpg

P1050878_zpsav0j2azg.jpg

Form the shoulder to the line you have marked. A belt sander works well but i have also turned it in the lathe, use anything that works for you.

P1050879_zpscasl6zjk.jpg

Get it as close to the original handle spigot.

P1050880_zpstlyvnjn9.jpg

P1050881_zpsf9mn8uoz.jpg

Finish the shoulder with a block of wood and sandpaper or a file.

P1050884_zpssrx4xvsj.jpg

Should now take the flange ring.

P1050890_zpssdazmuyq.jpg

Line up the slot with the tip and mark your blade line, a bit of flexible Formica or wood makes it easier.

P1050892_zpspsgmofx7.jpg

Also a line square down the end, you need a bit of a good eye as nothing is straight on an antler!

P1050896_zps6pmsdovd.jpg

Slot out the end up the the shoulder, i used a band-saw but anything that works will do.

P1050901_zpsyfx7idst.jpg

Now slot out along the line you have marked where your blade goes with a dremmel type tool.

P1050902_zps6hxir7tc.jpg

Buff up your handle, i use a cloth wheel and some plastic polish.

P1050904_zpsdqvn0vso.jpg

P1050905_zpsxuflixyu.jpg

Put the flange ring on and bore a hole from both sides then finish lining them up with the drill bit right through from one side.

P1050909_zps2ihwrddz.jpg

Fit the flange ring on with a drop of Isopone or epoxy or the like to take up any slack.

P1050910_zpshfif5fdg.jpg

P1050911_zpsuuyqmzkl.jpg

P1050912_zpstjjgm4wa.jpg

Slot the blade in and push the rivet home.

P1050914_zpsrf4nxnpy.jpg

Wipe off any excess with Acetone before it sets up.

P1050915_zpsuqkwfhq0.jpg

Re-do the head on the rivet with a ball-pin hammer.

P1050917_zpsecpnonyb.jpg

Re-fit the collar with the surclip pliers.

P1050920_zpstx8lwrwm.jpg

All ready for a final buff.

P1050924_zpsv6h6gydk.jpg

Flackos knife ready to post.

P1050928_zpsixghz1wm.jpg

• Like 19

Cracking post and cracking knife.....I'm just waiting to see what you're going to do with all the Opinel handles....my money's on you forging some blades from teaspoons or old thrupenny bits and turning them back into knives, lol

Thinking to sell the handles as ebay regulation compliant Opinels. :laugh:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the positive comments, hope some of you have a go making one yourself.

Made another lastnight, a couple more pics for other methods.

Can form the shoulder in a lathe, line up the tip with the headstock, it wobbles about but it is the other end next to the chuck that matters.

P1050973_zpsjvubd64c.jpg

If you hold the end in the chuck you still need to do a bit of shaping on the sander but it makes it easier to get it acurate.

P1050976_zpskxyiohv8.jpg

Can also cut slot with small circular saw and clamp antler in vice. A dremmel is easier and safer just a bit slower, better take your time and keep you fingers!

P1050980_zpsgx1irutj.jpg

A multi-tool is also useful to adjust the slot to an exact depth.

P1050982_zpsnjkuk4bl.jpg

Another one to post out....everyone slightly different and unique!

P1050991_zps7uob0xfp.jpg

• Like 7