Make Your Own Tools Thread.

Are there 50 hours in a day where you live griff Mr ingenuity

:laugh: :laugh:

Afraid not, list as long as my shed of things to do, but never enough time.

Looking at the things you and your children have made you must stop time lol, I bet your misses has got a photo of you and your children so see knows what you all look like.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok a lot of folks showing interest in the deer antler Opinels i have been doing so did a step by step tutorial when i made Flackos one.Posting here to keep all my stuff on one thread.   Use surclip

Thanks Guys, Glad you like them.   Heres the latest made it today. It's a Opinel No 12. Carved a wolf paw on the end of the handle.              

Thanks again for the feedback, hope i didn't bore you with too much detail. Job now complete, couple of pics with stove fitted and first fire, works a treat and much more efficient/ controllable than

Posted Images

Thanks NorthernRock good to hear others enjoying it.

Not made anything new in the last couple of weeks just just been buying broken Makita & Bosch power tools fixing and selling on. Fine for a spell and a bit of quick cash but i get fed up of the inside of power tools after a while and will be back on to making something again before long. Still got a blank from the experiment stainless steel blade thread may give that a go soon. http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/338941-experimental-blade-carbonstainless-blade/

• 3 weeks later...

Wrong time of year for raking hay but i cut my wild flower meadow late last year (December :blink: ) and it has be too wet to rake the grass off until now that is, had a couple of dry days and a nice breeze but no rake, not a decent size one anyway, so set to and rattled this together in a couple hours. Nothing fancy just what bits of wood were to hand and straight off the machines, no sanding, just needed to be functional not a museum piece. Did get a coat of danish oil just to protect it but it was still wet when i used it.

P1040051_zpsdeyzaeax.jpg

Bored out 1/2" holes 2" apart, tape on bit as rough depth guage.

P1040050_zpsjaelcvwk.jpg

Rounded over handle with router in table.

P1040048_zpstvhjohzd.jpg

Did end also on router.

P1040049_zpsues2vjhm.jpg

Bent bit of light scrap pipe, flattened ends and middle, fixed with pan head screws.

P1040052_zpsyyedpb1x.jpg

Middle tine actually bored through handle to make nice and secure, tines are 1/2 oak again rounded on the router table with 4 passes.

P1040053_zpsyv8y7b6t.jpg

P1040056_zpsmgyl0svl.jpg

Had a good test out and works a treat. :thumbs:

P1040057_zpskjr5i0ei.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Been a bit quiet on here recently, suppose with better weather everyone like me is getting on with outside work and no time for craft stuff. To keep this one burning, not rely making a tool more, making use of the tools you have for purposes other than what they were designed for. (Two 2ton trolley jacks)

To cut a long story short, my mini excavator is about 4 inches too high to get in my workshop. I was going to knock the whole gable out,cast a new lintel and re-build the peak. Would have meant demolition, new blockwork, remove & re-fix door track & canopy, in all a fair bit of work. Oh and the bird box is full of chicks. So on goes the old thinking cap and came up with.....jack up gable, door track, canopy...build in two run of blocks...add 8 inches on to bottom of doors....job done in a weekend by me, myself and I . :thumbs:

P1040657_zpsoy1qdqnf.jpg

P1040658_zps5ernkmpb.jpg

P1040663_zpsfuwknr9z.jpg

P1040662_zpsoj08mcrj.jpg

• Like 5

All seems simple enough Griff .....but not if attempted by meat mortals ..that gable end would have ended up much closer to the floor ..the old roof would have a man size hole in it and the digger would be brought into play clearing the mess up ..

• Like 3

That had me confused for a while till I seen you had sawn through the perlins. Have you used joist hangers to tie them back in?

TC

No. The last couple is hard up against the gable end inside so i bored right through it and the gable and put M10 threaded rods right through, sunk the nuts in on the outside and will point them up.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I want a forge I was watching a guy yesterday making a pair on tongs dying to have a go

Welcome to the craft section, good to have new interest.

If you have the space and won't annoy the neighbors with coal smoke blowing over their fence, a coal forge like the one i have on page one of this thread are fast & simple to build and with relatively no cost if you scrounge bits. And it will do it all from basic forge work to forge welding the flux of which eats your forge so if it is an old brake disc it doesn't matter as you chuck it and fit another. A few blades made on my forge

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/338536-couple-of-big-blades/

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/338941-experimental-blade-carbonstainless-blade/page-5

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/338941-experimental-blade-carbonstainless-blade/

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/337559-one-for-the-kids/page-7

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/337559-one-for-the-kids/page-9

If you are restricted for space and want something cleaner build a gas forge. A bit more complicate but plenty of info out there one link here or just google it. http://www.anvilfire.com/article.php?bodyName=/FAQs/gas_forges.htm

• Like 1

Changing brake pads on my car yesterday, always get those annoying wear ridges so came up with this idea for truing them up. Put a bolt through a skateboard wheel and put in a slow powerful drill jack up the car and lower it so the discs contacts the skateboard wheel to to spin the disc at a slow speed. Use the angle grinder to skim the rusty ridges off the spinning disc. Can do the whole process it 10 min.

P1040825_zpsoth2tohg.jpg

P1040827_zpsvqp1rean.jpg

• Like 3