Make Your Own Tools Thread.

I love old tools and stuff, when you pick 'em up they just feel right in the hand, made from quality materials in a time when products were made to a standard not a cost.

I agree 100%, just something about them you don't get in new mass produced tools/ machinery. I would prefer to spend good money and time refurbing an old tool then buy a new one.

After doing this vice it inspired me to have a go at an old leg-vice i acquired a year or so back. It must have lain outside for the last 50years and rusted into a solid lump, looked a bit far gone but half an hour with the oxy-propane cutting torch and i burned all the rust off and have it working too. Not pretty but fully functional.

Heres a picture before - the one on the bench, the other is in better order but incomplete. Will get an after picture added soon.

DSCN6734_zpsoxp9vr7e.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok a lot of folks showing interest in the deer antler Opinels i have been doing so did a step by step tutorial when i made Flackos one.Posting here to keep all my stuff on one thread.   Use surclip

Thanks Guys, Glad you like them.   Heres the latest made it today. It's a Opinel No 12. Carved a wolf paw on the end of the handle.              

Thanks again for the feedback, hope i didn't bore you with too much detail. Job now complete, couple of pics with stove fitted and first fire, works a treat and much more efficient/ controllable than

Posted Images

Father in law wanted a long handled fork for clearing grass/debris out of ditches so i rattled this up for him. Old pitch fork head, heated/bent the tines half way, welded a bit of pipe on to form a socket for a wooden handle, ran the corners off a piece of Iroko for the handle.

P1050735_zpssw5lytqx.jpg

P1050738_zpsjrmcec16.jpg

• Like 5

Flipping Eck. Got you on this one. Been using a 5 prong I made years ago. Down the allotments they all want one as it really takes the backache out of it all. Nice job partner. Jok.

Nice one Jok! Good when you adapt a tool and it makes it better than the original and better still can't be bought off the shelf. :laugh:

I took this post down the local and low and behold, 3 local guys have the same bits of kit. One particular guy is going to follow your advice as he works in a local metal shop. His son particularly liked the forge as indeed he has just made one but used a hair drier. He's making some great stuff. If I can, I'll go down to the unit and get some pics. He loved the Wolfspaw and went out to his car returning with an original opined to show the lads. You could not write this pal. It was brilliant the ideas that were whanging round. Beer helped. Anyway, if anything becomes of the blacksmiths vices I'll let you know. Stay lucky and keep us posted. Jok.

• Like 1

I took this post down the local and low and behold, 3 local guys have the same bits of kit. One particular guy is going to follow your advice as he works in a local metal shop. His son particularly liked the forge as indeed he has just made one but used a hair drier. He's making some great stuff. If I can, I'll go down to the unit and get some pics. He loved the Wolfspaw and went out to his car returning with an original opined to show the lads. You could not write this pal. It was brilliant the ideas that were whanging round. Beer helped. Anyway, if anything becomes of the blacksmiths vices I'll let you know. Stay lucky and keep us posted. Jok.

The more pics and ideas the better. :thumbs: