Make Your Own Tools Thread.

Thought this might come back round to making a "tool" to complete the job. The stone had a bit of cementy film despite being as careful as i could to wash it down wile building. Thought a scrub brush to go in the drill would be just the thing so went on line cheapest 75mm one i could find was £12 and thought i would need more than one :(, time to think outside the box again :hmm: . local hardware store had a decent scrubbing brush head for 2.99 and i had a hole saw :)

P1030575_zpssr2eucpa.jpg

A cheap 6mm bolt through the middle. 3 75mm drill brushes for £1each :boogy:

P1030576_zps8kiolqzc.jpg

Just need some abrasive cleaning cream....a trowel full of sand and a good squirt of fairy liquid a dash of water whipped up with the new drill brush.

P1030578_zpsweilkjrb.jpg

Lathered on stone and a good blast with the drill scrubber.

P1030579_zpstodctvhk.jpg

Used up 2 brushes on the scrubbing and used the third to apply and buff a coat of stone wax polish.

P1030581_zpsij216rcr.jpg

• Like 8

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok a lot of folks showing interest in the deer antler Opinels i have been doing so did a step by step tutorial when i made Flackos one.Posting here to keep all my stuff on one thread.   Use surclip

Thanks Guys, Glad you like them.   Heres the latest made it today. It's a Opinel No 12. Carved a wolf paw on the end of the handle.              

Thanks again for the feedback, hope i didn't bore you with too much detail. Job now complete, couple of pics with stove fitted and first fire, works a treat and much more efficient/ controllable than

Posted Images

Brilliant thread Griff, really enjoying it mate, you should have a TV show :laugh:

The old trick with tiles or stone laid on mortar is a light coat of linseed oil, then clean up when the mortars dry/cured with a cloth and a bit of white spirit, works a treat :thumbs:

PS, not stone that will absorb the oil, like sandstone, changes the colour/stains if it absorbs. any igneous stuff like pebbles is fine.

Edited by Truther
  • Like 1

Brilliant thread Griff, really enjoying it mate, you should have a TV show :laugh:

The old trick with tiles or stone laid on mortar is a light coat of linseed oil, then clean up when the mortars dry/cured with a cloth and a bit of white spirit, works a treat :thumbs:

PS, not stone that will absorb the oil, like sandstone, changes the colour/stains if it absorbs. any igneous stuff like pebbles is fine.

Thanks truther, if i did it again i would put a light coat of wax on before building to stop the cement sticking to the face,save so much elbow grease getting them clean. Tried oil on some off cuts but it really blackened up the flag stone. Live & learn :laugh:

Very much enjoyed the thread, and the others you have put up. I feel inspired! Have been watching some YouTube videos about backyard aluminium casting. Certainly looks like fun...

Made myself a flowerpot furnace to cast alli catty frames mainly, easy to do, mines a bit ott really, weighs 2 hundred weight ish, but works well

flowerpotfurnace001.jpg

Metal burning bin, big flowerpot with a hole in the base, and just fill the void with a strong grit sand/cement mix.

flowerpotfurnace002.jpg

There's a lip round the inside of the flowerpot, about 4" up, so i made a metal plate to fit neat and drilled holes in to let the air come out evenly.

flowerpotfurnace003.jpg

I got this airbed pump off a car boot for a fiver, rigged it up with some 20mm copper pipe that fits up through the hole in the flowerpot, give some fair heat using BBQ briquettes, enough to melt brass/copper.

Interesting and useful to do, dead easy tbh, worth getting a proper crucible, mine is graphite, hold about a kg of alli.

Sorry if that's a hijack Griff

• Like 4

That's a cracking job BUT I can see one flaw ... You are going to lose tons of heat up the chimney because of that gap where the flue goes up mate .......

Thanks socks. The pipe actually goes right through the collar and is sealed into the flue liner so the galvanized register plate is only to leave it tidy looking but to be doubly sure the gap you see is also sealed up with fire rope so no draft. :thumbs:.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the feedback, hope i didn't bore you with too much detail. Job now complete, couple of pics with stove fitted and first fire, works a treat and much more efficient/ controllable than the old open fire.

P1030611_zpsczpqaxjp.jpg

P1030610_zps8cnz68uo.jpg

P1030616_zpspkp0eqkt.jpg

WOWSER!!!

That looks ab fab!!

Much better than the bloke witrh the bald head and big Tache can do on telly!! (Forgot the name of the programme now!! :icon_redface: )

Brilliant job GG :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

John :)

• Like 1