Who Was Your Main Hunting Influence

Mine was an old fella named Sam in his sixties when I met him and eighties when he died if it had a heart beat and you could use it to hunt he could train it a right lovable rogue proper lurcherman proper poacher he could take any game from anywhere and in numbers from running deer drag netting partrige even using a bicycle wheel to catch pheasant rip Sam

Edited by leethedog
  • Like 3

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

mine was my old man and my mates granddad but my old man packed up when he met a bit of fluff down the club and she didnt agree with it shame has he dug a lot of gear and had some useful terriers and

Ceciel an old boy across the road when I was about 11 he showed me how snare fox and rabbit and got me into ferreting. He also showed me how to trap moles and skin them to send away. His wife all ways

Mine was an old fella named Sam in his sixties when I met him and eighties when he died if it had a heart beat and you could use it to hunt he could train it a right lovable rogue proper lurcherman pr

Posted Images

mine was my old man and my mates granddad but my old man packed up when he met a bit of fluff down the club and she didnt agree with it shame has he dug a lot of gear and had some useful terriers and mixed in good company but my mates granddad was a well known and very respected countryman and poacher he taught me so much and one thing he always preached was respect for both quarry and land and always leave something for tomorrow which i didnt always listen to but a true genuine countryman set in his ways but very educated in wildlife and its living ways sadly a very rare breed theses days

• Like 4

A fella took me under his wing when i was about 20 he was mid 40s always had good beddy crosses and a decent hare dog over the years ferreting mooching hare coursing learnt a lot off the bloke.

Ceciel an old boy across the road when I was about 11 he showed me how snare fox and rabbit and got me into ferreting. He also showed me how to trap moles and skin them to send away. His wife all ways had food on the go for me and I spent more time there than at home.

• Like 4

was that through books or person bosun because has a youngster i often found myself reading his books and day dreaming at school of doing the same my old man didnt have anything goood to say about him or his terriers and meeting him in person when i was young seem some what of a let down but i do know my old man and a few others did have words on how earth work and what a decent terrier was at a fmwtc evening

Edited by blackmaggie

for myself hunting had been part my life from childhood my father kept russell and always had a lurcher or two about the house all my uncals shoot fish and hunt so i can say its bread into me i hope my children carry on with it and ill do all i can to show them the ropes

• Like 1

Hunted with mutts since I was 7/8 any corner thing along it chased/bused. Couple of dogs later I was 17 meet a fellah ferreting then lurchers running dog types came in to it. That was me life wouldn't be worth living without a lurcher in the yard

If i'm honest, then no one and everyone!

Nobody anywhere near my home but thsnkfully people i met with an inbuilt mooching gene, along the way.

If i was to name names, then Kevin Stone and Ste Mouet, Ste being a mentor to so many and a true Liverpool legend... Perhaps the only 'real' one....

Old boy called Oscar Hewitt down the road from were i used to live when i was a kid was a big influence on me.My folk have put meat on the table for as long as i can remember but with them for me it was a chore not a pleasure , Old Oscar was in a different league to them.Shame the old fella did not put his knowledge down on paper it would of made a worthy read.

My older cousin was one of mine. I used to go up to my aunts house and he would always have either rabbits or hares he had caught with his lurchers. He took me out one time with him when i was only a kid and we caught one rabbit, only saw one. Walked for miles and i tore the arse out my trousers going over a barbed wire fence but thought it was brilliant.

• Like 3