Waterloo Cup Memories

I was talking to a well known coursing greyhound man this morning and he tell's me the sad news that they're now going to muzzle greyhounds in open coursing here in Eire.

Well that's it now for me. I might never attend another coursing meeting.

They've given in to pressure and when greyhounds are breaking their necks because of the muzzle and hares are being ran to a standstill because the dogs can't kill them the anti's will be there with their cameras getting more ammunition for their cause, when in reality it's the stupid muzzles that will be causing the harm.

He told me that some of the big clubs will or already have pulled the plug.

IMO it's the start of the end for open coursing, the true coursing to a die hard fan.

Sad news.

anything goes agin coursing clubs surely is a good news story for us lurchermen here in ireland,

Whatever floats your boat.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Miss it terribly. Like maxhardcore says, too many memories to list. But here's a few -   Clarissa D-W stomping round in her plus twos with a big smile on her face and happy to chat with anyone   O

Well chaps, I thought I'd put a few old cards I come across in the shed and an original poster I had framed with the card inserted in the back, just wondered what memories you lads have, I went from

few pictures of mine from the field and the pub

Posted Images

Im originally from southport, so for us young uns (no so young now) it was always the place to bunk in get chased by the police...take the piss out the antis whilst the young scouse mob threw dead rabbit at them....lol..how we laughed.....my mate cockney colin....loud mouth that he was standing on the bank with his betting slip in hand, as the hound approached the hare right infront of us he let out a tremendous roar, the hound took fright and almost stopped and the other dog was on the hare...lol....still makes me laugh when i remember his face as he tore up his betting slip.....think i will send him a message and remind him...lol.

Mate of mine walks his terriers over and around altcar way and he only ever seen one hare the past few years.....bloody shame.

Im originally from southport, so for us young uns (no so young now) it was always the place to bunk in get chased by the police...take the piss out the antis whilst the young scouse mob threw dead rabbit at them....lol..how we laughed.....my mate cockney colin....loud mouth that he was standing on the bank with his betting slip in hand, as the hound approached the hare right infront of us he let out a tremendous roar, the hound took fright and almost stopped and the other dog was on the hare...lol....still makes me laugh when i remember his face as he tore up his betting slip.....think i will send him a message and remind him...lol.

Mate of mine walks his terriers over and around altcar way and he only ever seen one hare the past few years.....bloody shame.

what they do...shoot the hares,

I was talking to a well known coursing greyhound man this morning and he tell's me the sad news that they're now going to muzzle greyhounds in open coursing here in Eire.

They've given in to pressure and when greyhounds are breaking their necks because of the muzzle and hares are being ran to a standstill because the dogs can't kill them the anti's will be there with their cameras getting more ammunition for their cause, when in reality it's the stupid muzzles that will be causing the harm.

IMO it's the start of the end for open coursing, the true coursing to a die hard fan.

Sad news.

Thats a shame...

Fair enough at the park coursing but in the open feild,the muzzles will do more harm than good.

Save a hare and injure or kill a coursing greyhound..

Madness really..

great read started of with greyhounds befor lurchers had some good times , with them enjoyed the times i went to the waterloo got some real good pics ,sold a rake of books to glynn nice guy , when i had my freind over from u s a he enjoyed it thourghly

Sad news.

Thats a shame...

Fair enough at the park coursing but in the open feild,the muzzles will do more harm than good.

Save a hare and injure or kill a coursing greyhound..

Madness really..

Not convinced a muzzle will save the hare either - think they suffer internal injuries from being struck at with a muzzle. Far cleaner without.

what they do...shoot the hares,
Yeah. No point preserving the hares if there's no coursing.
  • Like 3

Sad news.

Sorry to hear that Neil

the Waterloo final on the Thursday and a hare shoot on the Saturday. As Gnipper no point in having Hares if you have nt got coursing

The Trust that took over the estate after Lord Levenhulme died broke the estate up and let the rights out to shooting syndicates which pay the keepers now

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 3

Sad news.

....They've given in to pressure...and what was the alternative? total ban? the park meetings were muzzling semi's and finals and then all muzzled from 1st round before our ban came in over here :yes: JD the then secretary ICC said they had to agree to muzzles or coursing would of been banned completely in Eire so a lot of pressure but muzzling saved park coursing.

DONT give in believe me I'd rather see a course with muzzled dogs than coursing totally banned :yes: We carried on nearly 3 seasons field Trialling with muzzled dogs and guns never saw a greyhound break its neck because of the muzzle(I did pre ban)

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 1

Sad to see the end of the Waterloo Cup, went down in 1998 to watch the final, and the following year to lydiate which was a real good day, the slipper was giving the hares a massive amount of law which made the run up's superb to watch, and yes it is feckin freezing standing out on that land lol. Remember the bookie even saying this ban would'nt do hares or foxes any good, and how right he was, it's an absolute cluster fukc