Waterloo Cup Memories

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Miss it terribly. Like maxhardcore says, too many memories to list. But here's a few -   Clarissa D-W stomping round in her plus twos with a big smile on her face and happy to chat with anyone   O

Well chaps, I thought I'd put a few old cards I come across in the shed and an original poster I had framed with the card inserted in the back, just wondered what memories you lads have, I went from

few pictures of mine from the field and the pub

Posted Images

Thought somebody would of got why the 1986 Waterloo cup was special apart from it being 150 yrs anniversary, WM

Was the event run that year WM?

Correct !!! its the year the anti's threatened all kinds to get their own way, so it was banned from running by the police, where you there the year the antis got on the field and were battered, loved it, that knob head that plays "Jim Royal" was always at the front of all the women and rentamob, always the same every year,not a hare caught until they started blowing horns and screaming, thick bast*rds never realised either, lol's, WM

• Like 1

I only made a few and the last one. I was totally captivated by it. The journey through the night to get there , the crowds , the beatline getting closer and the slipper and the judge.

I 'll never forget it . On the last one an old irish gentleman standing by us turned as the last course finished and said " that's it lads , that's it all finished " he shook our hands and tears were running down his cheek.

• Like 9

Funny you should start this thread WM - for the first time since it all finished I was within spitting distance of Altcar just a few weeks ago when I took my daughter for an interview at Edgehill University. While I was waiting for her I contemplated going for a wander down to the Withins and Lydiate, but in the end just pootled about in Ormskirk.

• Like 1

What a cracking thread,..one of the Hunting Life's best... :yes:

I well remember me and Dave Harcombe trying to sell Terrier Yearbooks and Lurcher Journals...

We had a flimsy plastic tent,.. with books laid out on a decorators trestle table,...

The lads were everywhere,..like fecking locusts..!

Talk about a free for all,...we was losing books, faster than we was selling them :laugh:

In the end, we just gave up,.or should I say, gave in,..feck it I said,..lets just watch the coursing...

Great days,..will we ever see their like again... :no:

• Like 7