Digging Dogs V Bolting Dogs

different tools for different jobs , every place is different , a lot of it is down too the owner making the right decision , we all get excited and make mistakes , really have too think about what your putting in , aswell as thinking about other habitants in there such as rabbits, depth , size , .........your purpose and weighing everything up will give you the answer of what dog too enter. tactical terrier work is my own preference , adore watching it ,............

any moron can drop a dog in and dig it , but as said your purpose is key

forgot too say don't listen too others on a dig , "its a shallow place here" the famous last words

iv heard on more than one occasion of a man you do or maybe used to associate with using not 1 but 2 terriers at once. Naughty man.

that's me , chuck them all in if its right place

Ive had 2 terriers in regular,its the only way some BIG rocks can be worked with any chance of a result.

No matter how big the place a dog that's up for the job will find a fox and work it ,you just have to enjoy watching the terrier work, its why I enjoy working terriers

The majority of my terriers are utilised as bushers,the reality of working a few terriers ratching about is that at times at least 2 of them will enter,mine live apart but work as a team and in over 30 years working like this its cost me dear ONCE,the Beddy,with a fell behind her,was pushed on and mullered.Ive been in the company of olde type terrier men that accepted 2 terriers to ground as standard practice,if warranted,ill recount a tale told recently by a mucker that spent much time with the best terrierman still doing his Dales trade," a day out with 2 lurchers,a gun and 4 terriers in tow,a rocky outcrop that enveloped the best side of a valley was visited,the Dales maestro pointed to an Hawthorn bush at least 200 yds away,he told the apprentice to take point at that location because thats where the fox would bolt,he must have worked the spot innumerous times before over the decades,apprentice took point and terrier entered,40 minutes later nowt,maestro walked to a point halfway between them and entered another terrier,10 minutes later a fox bolted at the spot the first terrier entered,5 minutes later another bolted from the hawthorn bush and met its maker,within a few minutes both terriers came to heel".It was once coomonplace for more than one terrier to be entered,in certain locations or by way of chance,its about knowing the dogs,the location and accepting fate.

Edited by morton
  • Like 1

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recon most of the time it's up to the fox what happens.....

I think a bolting terrier is a failed digging terrier. A bolting terrier will give up after so long which is what most men would class as a cull. I agree they have their uses and get the numbers up in

When a dog of any sort goes to a fox in a stop end ,the metal of the dog is measured whether you like it or not .If that fox then bolts the dog has been found wanting ,no ifs or buts,the fox has got o

If terrier enters a spot and runs Charlie round a bit ,its in the lap of the gods as to whether he makes it to an entrance or is pressured to a stop end .Any dog will bolt a fox thats not been hunted .Lets not get all Plummer on the issue ,terriers have no concept of a bolt or a stay ,its either in them or its not .If the fox is pushed to a stop or found in one then the terrier is gauged by what happens next .If the dog is singing away nicely then all of a sudden gone ,either fox has gone over or dog has been pushed back .Its only a fox has been said before but if he wants out then it takes the right sort to say no .IMO it really is that cut and dried .

it is that cut and dried ......

Edited by stop.end

Thick as f**k

Why,because ive put into practice what some see as wrong,its worked for me,it worked for others before me,terriers now are far removed from their original hunting breeding and some of the early terrier pioneers would find little to connect with the "modern terrierman".Opinions are like underpants "they all contain an arsehole".

I think I must be getting the wrong end of the stick. A bolting terrier to me is one that will rattle around the earth and make all the right noises and usually bolt a fox, if not it will stay for ten minutes or so then come out. A staying dog will do its best to get to the fox and either the fox will bolt or it will go to a stop and get dug. Lads saying a good bolter will bolt it or stay till dug isn't a bolting dog imo!

bollocks , the terrier i had for bolting wasnt a killing bitch but it mixed it & stuck with the fox untill bolted or we dug her , i also had a kennel full of dogs which if you couldnt dig the place you didnt put the dogs in !, everyone of them on meeting the fox killed it in a breath , so is it a bolter or a stayer ???

• Like 1

Thick as f**k

Why,because ive put into practice what some see as wrong,its worked for me,it worked for others before me,terriers now are far removed from their original hunting breeding and some of the early terrier pioneers would find little to connect with the "modern terrierman".Opinions are like underpants "they all contain an arsehole".

Look up the laws on working terriers before you go making statements on open forum

Open forums are for Honest debate,at times honesty must override the restrictions we hunt under,especially if something is pointed out that the "dirty unwashed ignorantis" may not have cottoned onto,oops.

Thick as f**k

Look up the laws on working terriers before you go making statements on open forum

Open forums are for Honest debate,at times honesty must override the restrictions we hunt under,especially if something is pointed out that the "dirty unwashed ignorantis" may not have cottoned onto,oops.

Enjoy working 2 terriers at a time!

Or 3 and a lurcher, :tongue2: .

Not just the last poster but i never knew the terrier was in such deep shit these days .Seems to be a growing trend of jackers that own terriers ,the tyke dosnt stand a chance .Two ends of the spectrum breeding for opposites .So glad ive seen the best years TBH.

• Like 1

I think I must be getting the wrong end of the stick. A bolting terrier to me is one that will rattle around the earth and make all the right noises and usually bolt a fox, if not it will stay for ten minutes or so then come out. A staying dog will do its best to get to the fox and either the fox will bolt or it will go to a stop and get dug. Lads saying a good bolter will bolt it or stay till dug isn't a bolting dog imo!

bollocks , the terrier i had for bolting wasnt a killing bitch but it mixed it & stuck with the fox untill bolted or we dug her , i also had a kennel full of dogs which if you couldnt dig the place you didnt put the dogs in !, everyone of them on meeting the fox killed it in a breath , so is it a bolter or a stayer ???

If she stayed till you dug her then I'd say she was a digging bitch, who said anything about a 'killing' dog. If they stay till dug then they're a digging dog, if they'll give up after a length of time then they're a bolting dog. Simple as that I think.

You say you had other digging dogs you wouldn't put in? Then why did you put the bitch in as if she got one in a stop end then you would have hadto dig her?

Not just the last poster but i never knew the terrier was in such deep shit these days .Seems to be a growing trend of jackers that own terriers ,the tyke dosnt stand a chance .Two ends of the spectrum breeding for opposites .So glad ive seen the best years TBH.

The best years are there to be had for anyone with the sense to live them mate, lifes what you make it, we wont be dragged down to their level, not real terrier lads. Proper terriers are here to stay mate dont worry bout that!

• Like 3