Lurcher X Greyhound

The reason they're crossed in the first place is to keep the speed but get the benefits that a good lurcher needs that a pure grey cannot provide.

Feet, skin, stamina etc

I guess the feeling is that if your lurcher needs just speed added at the expense of potentially losing other elements, then you ought not to be breeding from it in the first place

• Like 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd never own another dog directly out of a pure Greyhound..I'm not doubting for a minute we need an influx of their blood from time to time but I'd prefer to let others do the breeding out of Greyhou

IF you breed from the right greyhound, there is No problem, in my young days we could get a lining from an ex coursing champion, now those types had taken the gentry years of breeding, I believe, Max

The thing is, it's not just speed you are adding with a Greyhound: you may also be adding in a lot of things you don't want, such as tunnel vision and a lack of working ability proven through generati

Owned bred and seen numerouse lurchers bred out of pure greyhounds.The best ones dont know if it was just coincidence was when the coursing greyhound watling street owned by the late Crim Smith was bred to a lurcher to lurcher bred bitch all the others i have seen just wernt in the same leauge as good lurcher to lurcher bred types.

• Like 1

my thoughts are the merlin eve line bred stuff is about spot on. nearly like English salukis . when the modern grey hound was being bred bulldog blood was added ..they haven't added anything since because it is now possible with careful breeding to tweek the lines to get more early pace or more stamina. and we can do that to. the coursing lurcher gene pool is in very good shape. I once bred some gen threequarter grey quarter sals they could not stay they had horrible feet , but they could kill hares reel quick , both mine killed themselves young" so I personally would not use any greyhound ever again theres no need. the first crosses have been done so line breeding is just like breeding pures. but do what suits you at the end of the day. atb two crows.

• Like 1

thanks for the positive views from everybody. this saluki x i have now is better than average and has umpteen scars cause of his commited drive. l am not a fan of the saluki x,i have rehomed at least 4 because of not settling in the house or just plain f@@'@@'@ scatty. but this dog is a proper worker. let me open a BIG BIG CAN OF WORMS this dog was bred by c nuttall, sold to somebody in greenock . as with some lurchers this dog had 2 3 4 owners before i got him. dont know anything about the owner but 300 pounds as a pup made me take my time and work him as a single dog,just me and him. WHO BOUGHT THIS DOG FROM NUTTALL? I OWE YOU A CASE OF ALE IF YOU CAN FILL IN THIS DOGS HISTORY.

to many bad results and after to talking to some lads about this x and not takeing note and max Just look at when Ballyreagan Bob was put over Swoop stuf

that was never bred he was put to a saluki not swoop stuff and when they did do the dog out of that breding same as the litter befor they run out of wind as well

• Like 1

The reason they're crossed in the first place is to keep the speed but get the benefits that a good lurcher needs that a pure grey cannot provide.

Feet, skin, stamina etc

I guess the feeling is that if your lurcher needs just speed added at the expense of potentially losing other elements, then you ought not to be breeding from it in the first place

:thumbs: feet skin, stamina, no point in have fast dog, if it blows up after dozen hard runs , or its feet are fooked. coursing type dogs seem to fit the bill , when added to your lurcher line for the work you want lurcher type dog to to :yes:

Think its back to the day when any kid or man could get an ex track bitch. Breed it and bobs your uncle

Me personally dont see what a real sharp sal type couldnt offer over a GH gears running brain wind feet the list is endless, Or let someone eles do the breeding out of a top open class staying GH (Max's has a few) and get a line of that

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

there seems to be a lot of people who never saw a good greyhound behind a hare, when you get a good one they can put them to bed quick, but sadly all those good ones I saw and had, that strain is no longer grazing the fields, How many times when you put lurcher to lurcher,the pups they lack a gear,No problem when you are lamping, and you sell the pups, £150,to £500, and they can not do there job that they were bred for, 100s thats why the dog pounds are full of unwanted lurchers, A man was telling me on Friday past about a great so called coursing dog his off spring are jacking ((( yes we hear tales about

this fault and another, but this man was very serious, I am not hear to say or spread crap about any mans dog, because my two are not world beaters, but they do for me, I Know more failures of breeding than I do of success stories, especially with saluki xs, (((( thats for catching Mr Long ears, in Daylight, my dog is 5 years old and the bitch is 3 she has Ballregan bobs blood in her, that was her grandsire, Again if I lived over on the East coast I would want heavy saluki blood in the mix but i live on the west coast fields are small bad fences, Saluki/grey/whippet, is the blood i use,

BOB died in 94 don't think he could have a 3yr old granddaughter , a great,great grand daughter would be even pushing it

greyhound saturated lurchers need luck and lots of it. very few hares (THAT ARENT KICKED UP THAT IS) are killed on the run up and any dog with more greyhound than saluki will start to struggle after a few bends. I have bred first crosses that were decent dogs day and night .but bred better ones using saluki sires and sal cross sires over these than greyhound sire. fact is greyhounds cant stay. 1150m sounds a long way but it is nothing to an average coursing lurcher never mind a gooden which can if needs be do that multiple times in a day. after all who wants to drive 3 hours to Lincoln for one run? and if the stamina thing was not enough you will probably give it bad feet to. atb two crows.

Edited by two crows
  • Like 1

If you wanted another queen you should go back to its parents not take from the bitch go back to what produced in the first place I've said this before an strongly believe in this way if the parents are un available then you just take from the best you seen an know an maybe you'll be lucky enough to get another good un it's all a game of chance but from right stuff you stand a better chance my opinion on this topic ATB for coming season

Excellent read very interesting listening to so many different points of views , so much knowledge no bickering letting each individual speak his peace . This is hunting life at its best thanks to all who contributed . Ernesto