Plummer Terrier

What other breeds did the man add to the russel blood, how much of them and in what order. Does anybody know?

The real thruth went to the grave with the man but Russell,nuttal patterdale,fox terrier,Bull terrier and beagle were all used and i think he used one of his russell's over a beagle bitch first and the rest is .............. :laugh:

there are two additions of bull. this being the last breed to enter the genepool through the front door.

The last drop of bull blood one wasn't the ones he wanted to use but one he was allowed to use :yes: ,ok it had a bit of a ped to it (farmer boys line in there) but was a untested pet unlike the ones he did want to use but got told "Not a chance". :thumbs: ..

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

to the guys that get fed up with the plummer threads. fair comment. i get fed up with the same old. old nuttal new nuttal . and the ken gould threads and the middleton pish that has been done to dea

i remember the first time plumber showed up to us , myself ,dave roberts gary middleton & all the usual suspects was at edgeworth terrier show , we was all haveing a drink & a yarn when this g

You don't train a dog for earthwork you breed for it.

Posted Images

:hmm:Seen a fair few Plummer Terriers,...I realy like their smart look,... and often fancied keeping one for those awkward rabbit jobs, where a lurcher is not allowed on or it is simply too dangerous for a fast dog....I think they would be real handy for the down and dirty , rubbish strewn areas, backs of factory unit type contracts. Bet you could also have some great fun with em' bushing out rabbits and muntjak etc..

Yeah,..I've got the work for one,....but,....I just couldn't do it,......it would never feel right.... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 3

Well put WM,personally i've never met the man but love him or hate him makes no difference to me,but on a positive before access to internet ect in the late 70s early eighty's as a young boy starting out books were a valuable asset to try and gain a bit knowledge on working terriers and lurchers ect. think the first book i read was JRT training and entering[complete jrt ].It stopped me making a lot of mistakes i would of other wise made,i know you don't learn the trade by reading books but these books instilled a life long passion for working terriers,lurchers ect and give me a little push in the right direction.Whether his knowledge was learnt by himself or information gained from more experienced terrier men which ever it helped ,as at that time there was some crazy methods of entering young dogs to there quarry and most the wrong way i must add.Afer working jrt for 25 year to all legal quarry before the ban thought i would try working Plummer terriers as id seen a few worked by decent terrier men and was well impressed with these dogs and like yourself WM my dogs a worked every spare minute i have and they excel at everything put in front of them,granted they might not be every ones cup of tea but i wouldn't work any other terriers now,and like said most ain't worked but is that not the case with most breeds these days.think they'll always be controversy surrounding these dogs, but like said i never met the guy but enjoyed his books and just take them for what they are nothing more,as we all learn by being out there with our dogs.Atb keith,j.

• Like 7

Well said marra I have only had two Miner for CP kennels down wales worked anything put infront of him pre ban, Lola now from Brimar kennels tiny bitch, best nose I have seen works rat rabbits and entered to fox under 2004 hunting act, she is no world beater infact she can be bit off if strange dogs are hunted with her. But if she is out with my WHWT and nephews two i.e. Border and Bed/Whippet takes some knocking back.

PUD

• Like 3

I would find watching a good Plummer terrier work most enjoyable as it is a sight I have yet to experience. At best I don't even believe I've seen average. Don't get me wrong I once jumped on the Plummer terrier band wagon with so many of the Plummer terrier owners and was blind to all else for a time but it did not take long to open my eyes and for the bubble to bust, after witnessing my own plummers wind rabbits then leave them in cover they deemed too thick or stand back and wait for my old lurcher to become impatient with them and enter the cover or work half hearted in wet conditions perfering there dry kennels and as for working fox, I swear I would of been better off with the queens corgi's. As wirrel said 95% don't see serious work that's because 99% arnt capable. be it over 15 year ago, I have seen a Yorkshire terrier work better than any pea hearted Plummer I've witness. Personaly your average working border terrier does me but you will never beat a true worker to worker type whatever is in its breed.

Edited by Fieldsporthunter
  • Like 3

Had a terrier direct off plummer in the late seventies who became a first class worker,he was used solely as a digging dog and was excellent.i did take him occasionally with a pack of hounds as a busmans holiday and he worked bales and buildings for foxes no problem,so given the opportunity he was a good allrounder but as i said he was a digging terrier first and foremost.

I was'nt a plummerite and not really interested in the creation of the plummer terrier,the dog i had was just my working terrier.

• Like 4

I would find watching a good Plummer terrier work most enjoyable as it is a sight I have yet to experience. At best I don't even believe I've seen average. Don't get me wrong I once jumped on the Plummer terrier band wagon with so many of the Plummer terrier owners and was blind to all else for a time but it did not take long to open my eyes and for the bubble to bust, after witnessing my own plummers wind rabbits then leave them in cover they deemed too thick or stand back and wait for my old lurcher to become impatient with them and enter the cover or work half hearted in wet conditions perfering there dry kennels and as for working fox, I swear I would of been better off with the queens corgi's. As wirrel said 95% don't see serious work that's because 99% arnt capable. be it over 15 year ago, I have seen a Yorkshire terrier work better than any pea hearted Plummer I've witness. Personaly your average working border terrier does me but you will never beat a true worker to worker type whatever is in its breed.

posts like yours give balance to these threads. of course your right there are some plummers that are only usefull for backfill. but i have owned a few now and also worked good bad and indifferent russells and worked some coloured terriers the same. at the moment i have two plummers a russell and a crossbred plummer/russell. they are all much a much to be honest. only one of the plummers works to ground to any standard and even she is a little on the big side. i like to think i have a balanced opinion on these things and see things as they are not as i would like them to be. if you have had plummers that could be bettered by a yorky you have experienced the very worst of this versitile breed. mine are average at best but i still have never owned terriers of any type that are as good on top. but you can only speak of what you find.

over many many years i have found that at least 50% of the terriers ive seen work to a bad standard have had owners that wasnt the best in one way or another. atb.

• Like 5

posts like yours give balance to these threads. of course your right there are some plummers that are only usefull for backfill. but i have owned a few now and also worked good bad and indifferent russells and worked some coloured terriers the same. at the moment i have two plummers a russell and a crossbred plummer/russell. they are all much a much to be honest. only one of the plummers works to ground to any standard and even she is a little on the big side. i like to think i have a balanced opinion on these things and see things as they are not as i would like them to be. if you have had plummers that could be bettered by a yorky you have experienced the very worst of this versitile breed. mine are average at best but i still have never owned terriers of any type that are as good on top. but you can only speak of what you find.

over many many years i have found that at least 50% of the terriers ive seen work to a bad standard have had owners that wasnt the best in one way or another. atb.

i find alot of terrier work as in almost all aspects of working dogs from herding dogs to lurchers come down to one thing "each to there own". I tried plummers and they just did not cut it with me, I found them to be "neither this nor that". I own terriers that some would only use for backfill, while others would give their right arm to have, one terrier in particular will only work fox but having 1000 free range chickens and town foxes getting release nearby I could not be without it. Another will work and flush all fur and feather but if she was to go to ground and her quarry did not bolt she would come away but this suits me where as plummers did not.

I also believe a lot of bad terriers have bad owners but I also think there's been plenty bad terriers with good and knowledgeable owners too.

• Like 3

Never been a terrier person, but over the last few months Ive been photographing terriers ratting for two future books, one specifically on Plummers, the other on all types of terriers..This is giving me great opportunities to see terriers working rats..Im no expert, but from what Ive seen of Plummers, and indeed all the terriers I managed to get out with up to now, they are bloody good at their jobs. From what Ive read on threads on here though, its just a pity they are called Plummer..and maybe would be apprechiated more.

Funny how a thread on Plummer terriers becomes a personal slurr on a man who is no longer with us..

I have met Plummer, on many occaisions, and he was no worse than some of the part timers and one for the pot men who seem to rule the roost these days. Yes he called a spade a spade, and if a factory worker wrote like a factory worker, he wasnt frightened to tell them..

Edited by Omanyra
  • Like 4