Plummer Terrier

I am answering in a joking way and he did ok for sure,he would mark a warren and worked with nets and ferrets just fine.He just didn't have what i needed and hence the pet home with the mother in law :thumbs: ,as for earthwork he is 6 weeks older than my bitch and i had them both as pups so he had the same chances as she did and she just went for it from the start,but then she was bred from working terriers rather than his lot :yes: .My bitch was bred by Scott B who had the Toh Kon pre fix,but he don't have plummers any more.....

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

to the guys that get fed up with the plummer threads. fair comment. i get fed up with the same old. old nuttal new nuttal . and the ken gould threads and the middleton pish that has been done to dea

i remember the first time plumber showed up to us , myself ,dave roberts gary middleton & all the usual suspects was at edgeworth terrier show , we was all haveing a drink & a yarn when this g

You don't train a dog for earthwork you breed for it.

Posted Images

Fireman just because your dog let one or two go doesn't mean he's no good, no dog is perfect that will happen to any ratting dog , and if he hasn't been trained to earthwork then what do you expect

You don't train a dog for earthwork you breed for it.
  • Like 9

Some of the Plummerites are now confessing to not owning all rounders ,something so far that has been missing .I wouldnt want an end to these posts as its good to discuss lol.I would say 95% of Plummer owners never have earthwork in mind when buying one but are over the moon if it does go whereas 95% of black terrier owners expect it and are pissed off when they dont .Physically Plummers seem to have it all ,mentally maybe the King Charles Spanial let them down .I would love to see a Plummer go ,earthwork so if any of you fancy a day out please dont hold back .

• Like 4

Some of the Plummerites are now confessing to not owning all rounders ,something so far that has been missing .I wouldnt want an end to these posts as its good to discuss lol.I would say 95% of Plummer owners never have earthwork in mind when buying one but are over the moon if it does go whereas 95% of black terrier owners expect it and are pissed off when they dont .Physically Plummers seem to have it all ,mentally maybe the King Charles Spanial let them down .I would love to see a Plummer go ,earthwork so if any of you fancy a day out please dont hold back .

only 95pct black terrier owners, least you wont be dissapointed if you do buy a plummer and it dont go, hahaha :thumbs:

Guest Snitch99

To via/ Wirral countryman I know u have a good few terriers and owned many over the years no doubt dogs as u have been at it a time. I put this to you on regards to the Plummer as Earth dog in the time u have owned your Plummer type dogs how many ow thse have you dug to quarry with? Over the years before Dan your old Plummer dog wich was a sensible little bashing terrier, as a man with knowledge an owned the breed an bred for such long time. Would u say the dogs u keep on legal quarry will stay till u break trough. Everyone to there own but I've seen plummers from lads from Rochdale with real Plummer lines I did not rate there work underground at all. I cannot see what brain plummer has gained from this whole brivardo, a good Russell and there are good Russell's still around, that is say cover all aspects the plummer does and more. Acserious question to Wirral countryman u have some permission in Cheshire holds foxes I know I lamp f**k out of it. How many plummers/terriers have u dug to and was worthy of breeding? Regards snitch99

If only it was thirty years ago i would have been delighted to accept your offer.

on a serious note this is a generous offer and normally i would not go in for dick measuring contests but surely there must be someone out there with a decent digging terrier who would enjoy a days digging in wiltshire.

I gave my Plummer to my digging partner last season as he was short on dogs. Otherwise I'd have taken you up on that offer.

He is the only one iv seen work so maybe he is a one off. He will be 3 in May and has been dug to 20 + Times. Stays till dug to but you can call him out if need be.

Like I said not my cup of tea personally but he is a handy tool.

• Like 1

What an offer, I was sure someone would accept . . . could of helped with the backfill.

Edited by Fieldsporthunter

Am no big terrier man but heres a few things that you are told, when your young or just starting out in the game.

Borders are slow starters, well could be true but my nephew got one now that I got of a friend of mine at seven/eight months nailed rats first day out never been out before.

Lakelands/Fell Pats are all hard and can be only took to hole let off and dug to, I have seen them work cover bush rabbits, rat and taken beating.

JRT have got no working instinct left in them, I started off with little what we called, Queen Ann JRT you know ones that are from no working lines just little short legged ones that uesd to run around the streets in any part of the UK and they work the full scale of things from mice voles in the corn fields to fox.

All Plummers are shite and that seems a broad statment, as all Plummers are not shite.

Diffrent Breeds and Breeding is important good lines should be kept and preserved (and worked), in all the above breeds. But If I see a good dog work be it a Running dog, terrier any breed size colour, Gundog or a sheepdog for that matter. Then I would say that Lakeland, Saluki x or lab worked well why not?

Long post but am trying to say in laymans word is could thier not be good bad and indiffrent in most if not all breeds.?

All best in what you choose to work

PUD

borders are slow starters at doing what theyre bred for, not ratting. Any terrier should be capable of taking rats and bushing. All breeds can do it, so there isnt really anything special about plummers other than the price of em
  • Like 1