Rock Dogs

That's interesting regarding size because when the Fell types started coming into Ireland in the late 70s, early 80s most lads considered them too big and that included for badger digging.

Yet these terriers coming in were from dogs worked in rock.

But I have to agree with what I've seen of terriers working rock is that a fine, medium size is best.

A friend has a bitch that came from a Welsh pack who was bred to work in flint and IMO she's quiet small.

The Fell types that were bred for rocks would have been useless at work,if they were that big.Around that time the biggest influence on Fells/Lakeys was the decline into breeding for the shows and the financial reward,they went from being leggy,wiry grafters,to heavy cobby show winners,on the whole.

lol some of my best grafters was the ugliest terriers born . another thing my best hunting dogs on the screes /rocks was dogs ,when i watched their body language whilst hunting free ,i soon clicked when they was on a line then coupled them up , & the little bitches was allways the best bolters , good thread this, sensible talk the idiots havnt joined in yet , thanks to all involved

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a croc of shit lol .......

Some great reading men!! I dont think there would be many foxes about without the safe haven fortresses for rearing cubs.

He should of dropped a knife down maybe the terrier would of brought 5 tails back up with him lol.

Posted Images

Hard digging dog would useless in here

how any man with a conscience could put a dog in there is beyond me lol..id be having palpitations,
That's one of the better holes in this area there's some nasty mine shafts that alway hold fox come snow! Just need a small bayer! If you didn't work these places you wouldn't get any foxes

Ive worked rock piles that travel for 300 yds along the side of a quarry,looking at them you would never enter a terrier,in practice they are easy places to get a bolt,ive worked easy looking spots that have caused serious grief.A few lads will remember the place at Denholme,several rock piles spread over a large area,each of which was called by the name of how long it took for terriers to come out,3 day hold,5 day hold,ten day hold and others,some honest terriers never came out,yet lads worked it for generations before it was turned into a landfill,still a couple of useful spots left,one of which ive yet to get a bolt from/

• Like 2

morton i have worked many a pile over denholme an the howarth area an still do only thing is now to many of them other things are in some which has spoilt it really,,, which limits the piles you can do,,, i have worked piles all my life as does my father,,, if you what a fox round my area then these are the places to hunt,,, as there is not many lads doing them,, as for rock dogs you can use eny sort of dog really you just need to bring them up on it an make sure that they enjoy running over it,

• Like 3

Thing with rock some days you will get a fast bolt dog in an out in no time an there's the days dog in 6 hour or a lot more before you get a bolt an then dog to find its way back out some go that deep you cart find dog with finder,some times it can take dog hour or more to find its way out

• Like 1

screes.jpg

the "screes"

the old lass a good lal dog when she went but she got to 6 year old and compleatly threw in the towel never to work again??!

dogpicks006.jpg

2 in the makeing see the leg on them

eskdaleshowanddogs010.jpg

feddal012.jpg

when the going gets tough.........

chris5.jpg

chris7.jpg

PA230069.jpg

" we hunt for the fox on the rock and the crag hunting like ours is so rare to be had"

• Like 7

screes.jpg

the "screes"

the old lass a good lal dog when she went but she got to 6 year old and compleatly threw in the towel never to work again??!

dogpicks006.jpg

feddal012.jpg

chris5.jpg

chris7.jpg

PA230069.jpg

" we hunt for the fox on the rock and the crag hunting like ours is so rare to be had"

lovely ground ther pall,,, just like the fells were i hunt,,, we dont use loacaters in the rock as most of the time you carnt here them,,

screes.jpg

the "screes"

dogpicks006.jpg

feddal012.jpg

chris5.jpg

chris7.jpg

PA230069.jpg

lovely ground ther pall,,, just like the fells were i hunt,,, we dont use loacaters in the rock as most of the time you carnt here them,,

Robert would it not still be sensible to have a collar on the terrier? Todays boxes you don't need to hear them as you can read them and if a terrier was stuck a collar would give you the nearest mark.

The last time I worked a terrier in a quarry was two years ago and she went into a crack in the rock. I got her from the top of the quarry at 16 foot and if I'd went where I thought she'd be it might have been 30 feet.

Cut a long story short I was 8 foot down when it bolted. I was glad.

• Like 2

Would the collar not be a big hindrance in the rocks and cause more stucks than it would create rescues .Just a thought .Again hats off to those working the rock ,not for me .i like to think there is least a chance of a dig even in the deepest earths .Nearst we get is an old pile of patio slabs dumped years ago.