Rock Dogs

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a croc of shit lol .......

Some great reading men!! I dont think there would be many foxes about without the safe haven fortresses for rearing cubs.

He should of dropped a knife down maybe the terrier would of brought 5 tails back up with him lol.

Posted Images

I was once told a story about rock dogs. One of the fell packs had run a fox to ground in a bad rock pile. Terrier after terrier were tried but it was hopeless. The huntsman then declared only one mans dogs could sort the problem so the guy in question came to the rocks and entered a dog. Minutes later the sounds from below said the dog was doing his job. After a while the noises faded to be replaced by the dog barking which the owner knew to be the dog saying he couldn't get out. The owner shone a torch down a thin shaft between the boulders and saw the dog about 35 foot below, on a ledge, surrounded by 5 dead foxes. He then got spare dog leads from the hunt followers, tied them together, and lowered the lead "rope" down. The dog bit onto the lead and was very carefully pulled up the 35 foot to the surface. Those rock dogs are superb if you can get a good one.

fairly sure that was a west highland white(long time ago id imagine).had a bitch to ground in rocks+scrap metal,old fridges etc a few weeks ago for 3 days-fair happy to get her back(never going near that place again)

• Like 1

had one of my terriers stuck in a quarry working , on day 2 a fella came across the fields, big tall gangly lad with overalls on & wearing wellies , he came up to me & said whats your problem lol , not knowing him i nearly decked him then he said he heard about the stuck dog & was a potholer ,beggar me this lad wormed his way in underground , feared for his safety , he saw the dogs head wedged between a V shaped rock stuck fast , the quarry owner arrived & with his machine bit by bit we dug away the rocks , eventually we got near enough to put a rope gently around the dogs neck ,i up he came , sadly several weeks later the quarry man tipped his machine over into some water by a ramp poor gentleman drowned , true story sad ending , RIP mr eibson true gentleman

• Like 4

I was once told a story about rock dogs. One of the fell packs had run a fox to ground in a bad rock pile. Terrier after terrier were tried but it was hopeless. The huntsman then declared only one mans dogs could sort the problem so the guy in question came to the rocks and entered a dog. Minutes later the sounds from below said the dog was doing his job. After a while the noises faded to be replaced by the dog barking which the owner knew to be the dog saying he couldn't get out. The owner shone a torch down a thin shaft between the boulders and saw the dog about 35 foot below, on a ledge, surrounded by 5 dead foxes. He then got spare dog leads from the hunt followers, tied them together, and lowered the lead "rope" down. The dog bit onto the lead and was very carefully pulled up the 35 foot to the surface. Those rock dogs are superb if you can get a good one.

5 foxes would beat 1 dog up easy. Especially if they fight like me and my mates 5 onto 1 blind tagging eachother can't lose then

I worked some rock piles regularly with past terriers, the worst that happened was a 3 day stint in a crag hole for a hardish dog. Plenty of bad rock piles about, and crags and cliff holes, we always avoided mines, but we got to know the regular ones well enough to feel fairly confident.

• Like 1

2015_01_27_0280_zps10c4ccb3.jpg

heres some i found last week,and in the area theres tons more

20141227_093812_zpsicrsvvau.jpg

20141227_093737_zps6n0pqt6f.jpg

20141227_093641_zpszvdt4dtt.jpg

who in gods name would be crazy enough to stick a dog in these spots.maybe a dog that'll walk out after a half hour might be wortha gamble but not anything else

• Like 1