Rock Dogs

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a croc of shit lol .......

Some great reading men!! I dont think there would be many foxes about without the safe haven fortresses for rearing cubs.

He should of dropped a knife down maybe the terrier would of brought 5 tails back up with him lol.

Posted Images

try back lads try back, its more a book about hunting and the fell packs ill sort some pics buddy :thumbs:

one i have been looking for! hunting in the lakedistrict is a good book too! mine was borrowed and never returned. i would love to hear a respected mans mind on rocks like nick stevens :yes:

in after vol 2 of it but its sold out, its a cracking book if your into your hound work. there is a lad on here that works a lot of rock and he gets big numbers but i dont think he has been on for a bit, iv seen a pic of him on a rescue in rock 30 foot deep they had to get a massive 360 in, if he comes on he might put the pic of it on,

• Like 1

U need dogs with a bit of leg under them but narrow chested which i find very hard to comeby thats the size sorted then u need one that is willing to crawl down a crack in the rocks head first some times quit a number of feet .then the best i find are the one that tackle and bay which flusters the fox sometimes forceing him to bolt or move sometimes to a worse place in the rocks to be able to dig or sometimes better a baying dog which some times people think r needed r not the best cause charlie will be happy to stay there all day bad news in awkward spot when u dig to dogs in rocks they r in ground a lot longer normaly than in earths so thats why good rock dogs ar the ultamite terrier only an opinion sorry about spelling but does anyone agree

I agree Rat Face and if I lived in the UK I'd definitely be a member.

I have a couple of their old Yearbooks and some of their rescues were massive.

Would I be correct in saying they had a rescue a few year back that cost £2000 and that bill was picked up by the club.

Remember the video ? Where the lads were just finished the rescue and it collapsed with the boys standing nearby.

Regarding bales ? it probably would be a good topic but not one that would feature monumental rescues.

But they sure do hold foxes. The round ones do anyway.

And not just between them either, foxes will lie on top of them.

I showed a fellow fox scat on a stack one time and he couldn't believe it. The stack was 4 bales high and the sign was on the top.

GLAD YOU LIKE MY SITE LADS

YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN THIS ONE TOO

http://www.lakelandhuntingmemories.com/Brait.htm

Fair play Craggers for putting that together.

To those who work rocks in the Lakes etc. do they still enter 2, 3 and 4 terriers at a time ?

Or has the locator changed this ?

Why were several terriers entered at once ?

Was it to worry the fox quicker or was it to guide the diggers to the fox the same way a lot of old badger diggers used to use a few terriers at a time to find the tube that the badger was actually in ?

Also how many of these legendary fox slayers would have been getting help back in the day or was using more than one terrier an exception rather than the rule ?

My father had his bitch stuck over cristmas,, in a pile 3 days later we decided to get the heavy. Gear in we stillsawed some massive slabs of stone,, butblade only went throu 5 inch saw we had to put steel wedges i had made,, in the joint that the blade had made then u had to hit the steel wedge with a sledge hammer,, we did this for 5 '6 hours once we got the top slabs of we started to getsome progress, we had todig throu shale so this is were buckits come to play as we loaded the buckits withshale a lad lifted it out and sent it back down,, we gotdown 8 ft an the stones got bigger so it made progress evern faster.. We hit a realy big boulder that we had to think as you dont want to get full on as you might flatten the dog.. We cut somelines into it with the stillsaw then broke little pieces of rock bit by bit with the braker,,, we carrierd on throu the night.. As morning hit we had a real pit out of the hillside then we herd the bitch whine down a fourfoot crack we followed the crack down.. Which took usseverl hours to get to her down this crack,, we manaiged to get a hole out for my mate to squeeze in really tight to remove a rock which had fell an blocked her way out,, once removed the dog came out wagging her tail make noises happy to see us.. My dad well happy my mate squeezed in again to pull out a very dead fox.. My dad left to get the dog warmed up in the shower an some grubb down her neck,, we spent all affternoon back filling,,,

• Like 4

i prefered to quietly as i could enter the dog/bitch one at a time & let them do their job , charlie would slip out 9 times out of ten if you was quiet,, you would often see them spying through the rocks weighing the job up untill the terrier got near them , same as a rabbit sits just back from the entrance untill the ferret gets near ,every ones different some piles are quick bolts, some hours , you get to know the run of each one in time ,no one wants a dig in my estimation , some rock jobs the fox can bolt 100 yds away they are that big 2 or 3 guns often needed ,

• Like 2

I agree Rat Face and if I lived in the UK I'd definitely be a member.

I have a couple of their old Yearbooks and some of their rescues were massive.

Would I be correct in saying they had a rescue a few year back that cost £2000 and that bill was picked up by the club.

Remember the video ? Where the lads were just finished the rescue and it collapsed with the boys standing nearby.

Regarding bales ? it probably would be a good topic but not one that would feature monumental rescues.

But they sure do hold foxes. The round ones do anyway.

And not just between them either, foxes will lie on top of them.

I showed a fellow fox scat on a stack one time and he couldn't believe it. The stack was 4 bales high and the sign was on the top.

thats the one buddy that spot where they are is not very far from me, i have it on dvd it came with a book i got, the lad just gets the dog out and it all drops down was a close call that lol

• Like 1

GLAD YOU LIKE MY SITE LADS

YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN THIS ONE TOO

http://www.lakelandhuntingmemories.com/Brait.htm

Fair play Craggers for putting that together.

To those who work rocks in the Lakes etc. do they still enter 2, 3 and 4 terriers at a time ?

Or has the locator changed this ?

Why were several terriers entered at once ?

Was it to worry the fox quicker or was it to guide the diggers to the fox the same way a lot of old badger diggers used to use a few terriers at a time to find the tube that the badger was actually in ?

Also how many of these legendary fox slayers would have been getting help back in the day or was using more than one terrier an exception rather than the rule ?

i woudnt say so mate them wright ups your reading are more than likely all pre world war one, times have changed everyone who works dogs now knows the only true way to work terriers is one in only, lots of crazy things happened in the olden days lol

• Like 1

Great thread lads best thats been on here in a while

working rock spots is a tough job

People who have grown up around older chaps that have done the same country will have a good advantage as they would know the digable spots and the undigable the wrst thing is you may only be 0,4or 0.5away and still take you hours

• Like 1

My father had his bitch stuck over cristmas,, in a pile 3 days later we decided to get the heavy. Gear in we stillsawed some massive slabs of stone,, butblade only went throu 5 inch saw we had to put steel wedges i had made,, in the joint that the blade had made then u had to hit the steel wedge with a sledge hammer,, we did this for 5 '6 hours once we got the top slabs of we started to getsome progress, we had todig throu shale so this is were buckits come to play as we loaded the buckits withshale a lad lifted it out and sent it back down,, we gotdown 8 ft an the stones got bigger so it made progress evern faster.. We hit a realy big boulder that we had to think as you dont want to get full on as you might flatten the dog.. We cut somelines into it with the stillsaw then broke little pieces of rock bit by bit with the braker,,, we carrierd on throu the night.. As morning hit we had a real pit out of the hillside then we herd the bitch whine down a fourfoot crack we followed the crack down.. Which took usseverl hours to get to her down this crack,, we manaiged to get a hole out for my mate to squeeze in really tight to remove a rock which had fell an blocked her way out,, once removed the dog came out wagging her tail make noises happy to see us.. My dad well happy my mate squeezed in again to pull out a very dead fox.. My dad left to get the dog warmed up in the shower an some grubb down her neck,, we spent all affternoon back filling,,,

sounds like hard work pal but well worth it :thumbs: