Fish Catching Rat

When starting a new rat job at a domestic the customer reported the rat had now killed 3 gold fish and eaten them.

While there we lfted the plastic waterfall on his pond and below it there was another partially eaten gold fish.

It has also eaten dozens of fresh water snails something i have seen many times.

I have never come across this in 10 years. I have come across them catching and eating frogs in domestic ponds.

The fish are possibly easier to catch at this time of year being sluggish due to cold water temperatue but the rat must be a good swimmer the fish are sitting very deep in the pond.

Just wondered if anyone else has come across this.

Definately a rat the customer has seen it 3 times when lifting the plastic waterfall where it is taking and eating the fish.

The gold fish are 6 to 10 inches long.

As far as the customer is aware he has not seen any dead fish so we presume the rat is catching them.

You live and learn in this job thats for sure.

When it has left the area below the waterfall it enters his shed where I now have baits and traps. Rat droppings are visible in the shed.

It wouldn't surprise me as the rat is an amazing predator. I once had one take 16 canaries in a flight (not cages) on me.

IMO if a rat was to catch goldfish there's either two rats working together or the rat is nailing the fish at one point in the pond when they come up for air(as goldfish do ).

Either way it's hard work on the rats part so an easier meal in a trap should make them easy to trap, in theory anyways.