Just Lost A Permission

Personally mate I would speak to the farmer tell him what happened and report the incident to the police as a firearms offence has been committed. Its not acceptable that a person can hold a permit for a shotgun and act in this manner.

If we did it with an airrifle we would be hung and quartered

Atb

Nick

• Like 2

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting topic, well worth a bit thought, but rather than an on going fued, that will cause a bit varied agro between the farmer & the land owner, I would put it down to experience and walk awa

I would of called them any way ,that or wrapped the rifles around there necks .   I would still check with the farmer as i think he has the right still to grant permission as he pays the rent for th

There is three of them with there words against his,they will not admit any wrong doing and more than likely say it was him that was acting in a threatening manner. Be better off going and speaking wi

this wasn't meant to start a handbag fight guys just warning others to check their shoots ,

Have you approached the farmer who gave you permission Webster?

It's not a bitchfest mate. Just good banter and varying opinions :thumbs:

Did you mention to the farmer and or head keeper about the potentially deadly actions of people permitted to use firearms on his ground? If not, make damn sure you do, in fact I would write a very stern letter to the keeper, and perhaps most importantly the person who actually owns the land, you may have lost the permission, but you can do your upermost to try and lose the idiots who threatened you, theirs too, mention that you are still considering speaking to the police about the matter.

• Like 1

Having now lost that perm there's nothing stopping you reporting the actions of those dickheads

There's a lot to stop you.

Both myself, Charlie and others have said this several times, you will get absolutely nowhere with the police when it's your word against 3 other people with no independent witnesses or evidence - ultimately it's your word against theirs and 3:1 there's nothing that would stand up in Court as evidence so the police won't take the matter any further. It will most likely just be treated as a malicious report by someone who was p*ssed they lost a permission or got caught poaching (if the permission doesn't stand up).

Further, unless you can prove at the time that you had permission or reasonable excuse to be on the land (bearing in mind it might be you that didn't have permission to be there, depending on whether the farmer actually had the right to grant your permission in the 1st place, or even denies granting it), then it becomes the word of 3 people vs yours that you were trespassing / poaching with a weapon. In that scenario, only 1 offence is provable and only 1 person will be prosecuted - YOU, not them. Further it could get worse if in revenge for your report, they say you threatened them, irrespective of whether or not that's true. Again it's their word 3:1.

As said above, take legal advice on your position regarding the potential validity of the original grant and "reasonable excuse" before doing anything rash.

There are situations where it's simply safer to walk away and chalk it up to experience rather than risk getting yourself prosecuted, however innocent you may actually be.

As for the actual permission, if you really want to fight that, investigate with the BASC or similar, whether or not as suggested a few posts above, the tenant farmer has the right to grant vermin control independently of the land owner or paid shoot and whether such a right is inalienable, and if so consider re-approaching the farmer with legal evidence in writing obtained from the BASC, to show he alone has the right to permit vermin control irrespective of the landowner or formal shoot's wishes.

However, I strongly suspect that the farmer won't want to upset the landowner unless he has a very long and secure lease with regards to both duration, sever-ability and rent, for fear of losing his tenancy.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 4

People who think it's ok to point fire arms at people will do it again

How do you know this is first time they will have been reported for it

The police will take it very seriously if there's even a whiff of previous

They sound like total messers ,chances are they've done something similar before

• Like 1

Having now lost that perm there's nothing stopping you reporting the actions of those dickheads

There's a lot to stop you.

Both myself, Charlie and others have said this several times, you will get absolutely nowhere with the police when it's your word against 3 other people with no independent witnesses or evidence - ultimately it's your word against theirs and 3:1 there's nothing that would stand up in Court as evidence so the police won't take the matter any further. It will most likely just be treated as a malicious report by someone who was p*ssed they lost a permission or got caught poaching (if the permission doesn't stand up).

Further, unless you can prove at the time that you had permission or reasonable excuse to be on the land (bearing in mind it might be you that didn't have permission to be there, depending on whether the farmer actually had the right to grant your permission in the 1st place, or even denies granting it), then it becomes the word of 3 people vs yours that you were trespassing / poaching with a weapon. In that scenario, only 1 offence is provable and only 1 person will be prosecuted - YOU, not them. Further it could get worse if in revenge for your report, they say you threatened them, irrespective of whether or not that's true. Again it's their word 3:1.

As said above, take legal advice on your position regarding the potential validity of the original grant and "reasonable excuse" before doing anything rash.

There are situations where it's simply safer to walk away and chalk it up to experience rather than risk getting yourself prosecuted, however innocent you may actually be.

As for the actual permission, if you really want to fight that, investigate with the BASC or similar, whether or not as suggested a few posts above, the tenant farmer has the right to grant vermin control independently of the land owner or paid shoot and whether such a right is inalienable, and if so consider re-approaching the farmer with legal evidence in writing obtained from the BASC, to show he alone has the right to permit vermin control irrespective of the landowner or formal shoot's wishes.

However, I strongly suspect that the farmer won't want to upset the landowner unless he has a very long and secure lease with regards to both duration, sever-ability and rent, for fear of losing his tenancy.

Some good advice there but i have two police officers who are members of my family and i will ask them about this mater and how to go about it if you want ,

But i no that where guns are involved they have to log it, and if the tossers do it again they will be arrested and there license suspended or taken off them all together .

And as alsone has said i don't think the land owner will want any one running around on his land waving shot guns at any one full stop its not good for the estate or the shooting club they are in .

surely there are some police officers that shoot air guns on here that can put there input into this and help the lad out with the rights he has

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1

Interesting topic, well worth a bit thought, but rather than an on going fued, that will cause a bit varied agro between the farmer & the land owner, I would put it down to experience and walk away & let sleeping dogs lie ! Karma mate karma ! Then shoot your adjoining land and everything that strays onto it ! Keep your cool mate as good words travel quicker & smoother than bad ,

Regards Sean

• Like 8