Hancock's Border/beardie Stud Dogs.

Most of the pups that hancock produces now seem to be a mix of beardie/border blood.

Why after all these years has he chosen to go down this route?

I know he had beardie/border stud dogs donkeys years ago, but they were in a minority. Most of his stud dogs were border types.

Any answers? Theories?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

quote name="Grunter123" post="3797983" timestamp="1417040992"]Is he any good on teeth Aye, mint

Herding dogs are an amazingly varied type... Been around such animals for over 50 years,.....I really like them...   When choosing a sheepdog Sire or Dam, to create a roustabout lurcher,...I try t

Sesku, I am both ashamed and proud to say I kept her for 14 feckin years. My wife and kids thought the world of her and I couldn't upset them by putting her down.

I have one off one of his dogs, Black and white Beardie cross, it took nearly 3 years to grow up, nearly drove me nuts, but i stuck with her, then had 18 months of a very usefull animal, would not tackle any thing big, but caught a mountain of rabbits, but its driving me nuts again because if it thinks its can get away it wont chase them . i would not have another.

I had a border half cross from him. It was so bad it was funny. Drove me nuts.

I was wondering whether he was introducing beardie /border types to cancel out the obsessive, repetitive traits that some borders have. Mine was like a full border collie in temperament. I hated the fecker.lol It gave me high blood pressure and probably an ulcer. :laugh:

I didn't realise that a collie/grey can come with a lot of baggage: heading for home at the sound of an exhaust, a firework, thunder or gunshot. Constantly wheeling, circling totally hyperactive despite plenty of exercise, mental stimulation and work. Mine was extremely neurotic:-hated other dogs and attacked them through fear, fearful of any change in her routine, for example she would foul her run if my Mrs fed her instead of me, every time. I had to sedate her at firework time and even when I went on holiday otherwise she would pine,refuse to eat and foul her run.

She also ran hot and cold on prey, sometimes would not work at all if she was in a weird mood.

I don't want to get into a slanging match about collie crosses. I know there are excellent types which are steady and sensible. However, the mistake I made was not to assess the temperament of the parents properly. I think collie/greys are often recommended as a beginners lurcher.

I don't think that's good advice. Of course you could blame me for the dog's temperament but I don't think that would be fair. She was the way she was because she seemed to inherit all the worst aspects of the border collie.

• Like 2

I didn't realise that a collie/grey can come with a lot of baggage: heading for home at the sound of an exhaust, a firework, thunder or gunshot. Constantly wheeling, circling totally hyperactive despite plenty of exercise, mental stimulation and work. Mine was extremely neurotic:-hated other dogs and attacked them through fear, fearful of any change in her routine, for example she would foul her run if my Mrs fed her instead of me, every time. I had to sedate her at firework time and even when I went on holiday otherwise she would pine,refuse to eat and foul her run.

She also ran hot and cold on prey, sometimes would not work at all if she was in a weird mood.

I don't want to get into a slanging match about collie crosses. I know there are excellent types which are steady and sensible. However, the mistake I made was not to assess the temperament of the parents properly. I think collie/greys are often recommended as a beginners lurcher.

I don't think that's good advice. Of course you could blame me for the dog's temperament but I don't think that would be fair. She was the way she was because she seemed to inherit all the worst aspects of the border collie.

jukel..it definitely sounds like you got a dud there..how long did you put up with it lol?