Lamping

Alright lads

I have been doing a bit of work with my whippet the last few seasons with the ferrets and a little on the lamp.

He has come along leaps and bounds, by no means perfect but his recall is a lot better and his retrieve is getting there.

This is his first full season on the lamp and mine and he is doing well. Hes starting to figure out what the lamp actually means and I dont think he is far away now.

I wouldnt mind getting him out with a more experienced dog as it might bring him along abit more and I am sure i can learn a few things too as I am not an expert. If anybody would like to show me how to get on I would appreciate it :)

Got my own lamp and car so can travel. Located in the Co Durham area.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PILOT dogs?

Don't take this as a pop or attack. Genuine questions... Pretend it's from someone else if you prefer. Lol...   What are they learning?   A young dog will already be keen to run (or should be?)

Had a couple of offers but they have been too far away (Scotland)   Going to try and meet up with a fella whos pretty local.   Am not even that fussed if people didn't want me to take the dog I wo

an experienced dog will bring on a young dog not sure if it will help a dog thats a few years old because i started a dog late before acd shed run with the experienced dog but on her own she wouldnt watch up only good when another dog was already on the rabbit

Never understood how an experienced dog could help bring on a young dog on the lamp. Daytime maybe but lamping?

• Like 1

nowt wrong taking a young dog along with experienced dogs .

AS LONG AS THEY ARE WELL BEHAVED.

they will learn their bad habits as well as their good

a young dog will want to run anyway ,and taking before they are ready to run,

and having a look aint going to hurt ,may gee it up a little bit on a laid back dog.

and its all part of socialization,being out with other dogs.

but time spent alone is quality time for the dog.

but recall and retrieve are best taught before you take other dogs out

• Like 2

watch and learn :thumbs:

Don't take this as a pop or attack. Genuine questions... Pretend it's from someone else if you prefer. Lol...

What are they learning?

A young dog will already be keen to run (or should be?)

It won't learn to strike by watching will it? If a dog hasn't got good recall or retrieve then it's not gonna learn that by watching? Or is it?

I've only ever seen them yapping and pulling at the lead in frustration wondering why the other dog is having fun and they aren't. Which is why I've started my pup off one-to-one as much as possible and never took her out as a pup to watch. She hadn't seen the lamp before her first trip at 10 months old and she knew to run the rabbit, strike and bring it back. But maybe I'm missing something and could of benefited from talking her out earlier to watch?

Could be a good topic for discussion.

• Like 4

watch and learn :thumbs:

Don't take this as a pop or attack. Genuine questions... Pretend it's from someone else if you prefer. Lol...

What are they learning?

A young dog will already be keen to run (or should be?)

It won't learn to strike by watching will it? If a dog hasn't got good recall or retrieve then it's not gonna learn that by watching? Or is it?

I've only ever seen them yapping and pulling at the lead in frustration wondering why the other dog is having fun and they aren't. Which is why I've started my pup off one-to-one as much as possible and never took her out as a pup to watch. She hadn't seen the lamp before her first trip at 10 months old and she knew to run the rabbit, strike and bring it back. But maybe I'm missing something and could of benefited from talking her out earlier to watch?

Could be a good topic for discussion.

WELL SAID GAZ,,,,,IVE ALLWAYS STARTED THEM ON THE OWN,,,,OK IFF YOU HAVE A PUP AND ITS CLINGY, IN DAY TIME AND YOU WANT IT TO VENTURE A LITTLE ,, FAIR ENOUGH,,,,,,,,