Lamping

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PILOT dogs?

Don't take this as a pop or attack. Genuine questions... Pretend it's from someone else if you prefer. Lol...   What are they learning?   A young dog will already be keen to run (or should be?)

Had a couple of offers but they have been too far away (Scotland)   Going to try and meet up with a fella whos pretty local.   Am not even that fussed if people didn't want me to take the dog I wo

watch and learn :thumbs:

Don't take this as a pop or attack. Genuine questions... Pretend it's from someone else if you prefer. Lol...

What are they learning?

A young dog will already be keen to run (or should be?)

It won't learn to strike by watching will it? If a dog hasn't got good recall or retrieve then it's not gonna learn that by watching? Or is it?

I've only ever seen them yapping and pulling at the lead in frustration wondering why the other dog is having fun and they aren't. Which is why I've started my pup off one-to-one as much as possible and never took her out as a pup to watch. She hadn't seen the lamp before her first trip at 10 months old and she knew to run the rabbit, strike and bring it back. But maybe I'm missing something and could of benefited from talking her out earlier to watch?

Could be a good topic for discussion.

WELL SAID GAZ,,,,,IVE ALLWAYS STARTED THEM ON THE OWN,,,,OK IFF YOU HAVE A PUP AND ITS CLINGY, IN DAY TIME AND YOU WANT IT TO VENTURE A LITTLE ,, FAIR ENOUGH,,,,,,,,

I'm no expert. I might be wrong. Just can't see the advantages of letting a pup "watch and learn".

Don't take this as a pop or attack. Genuine questions... Pretend it's from someone else if you prefer. Lol...

What are they learning?

It won't learn to strike by watching will it? If a dog hasn't got good recall or retrieve then it's not gonna learn that by watching? Or is it?

I've only ever seen them yapping and pulling at the lead in frustration wondering why the other dog is having fun and they aren't. Which is why I've started my pup off one-to-one as much as possible and never took her out as a pup to watch. She hadn't seen the lamp before her first trip at 10 months old and she knew to run the rabbit, strike and bring it back. But maybe I'm missing something and could of benefited from talking her out earlier to watch?

WELL SAID GAZ,,,,,IVE ALLWAYS STARTED THEM ON THE OWN,,,,OK IFF YOU HAVE A PUP AND ITS CLINGY, IN DAY TIME AND YOU WANT IT TO VENTURE A LITTLE ,, FAIR ENOUGH,,,,,,,,

I'm no expert. I might be wrong. Just can't see the advantages of letting a pup "watch and learn".

I LOOK AT IT LIKE THIS ,,,,WUD A DOG LEARN TO SIT AND STAY BY WATCHING ANOTHER DOG,,,,

• Like 2

What are they learning?

alot depends on your pups temperment if its highly strung then one on one without the distraction is the way i would go and your not getting frustrated at having your arm pulled at every turn but a more calmer dog could learn from watching another dog even if its just knowing theres something there at the end of the beam

• Like 2

What are they learning?

alot depends on your pups temperment if its highly strung then one on one without the distraction is the way i would go and your not getting frustrated at having your arm pulled at every turn but a more calmer dog could learn from watching another dog even if its just knowing theres something there at the end of the beam

Fair point ?

What are they learning?

well put not every dog pulls and cries some have the patience to watch and learn

• Like 1

What are they learning?

well put not every dog pulls and cries some have the patience to watch and learn

My pup is one of the quietest, calmest and most patient I have been out with. But what would she of learnt from this early watching? That's the bit I'm asking.

If your dog doesnt have a problem in picking things up in running the beam it doesn't need to watch and learn but if it has I don't see the harm in the lad trying it it might help him and his dog I'm one for doing things solo myself at the end of the day who wants to go out with a dog that's maybe hunting up and spoiling the nights sport

• Like 1

But what is it 'learning'? IMO it's learning nothing and getting frustrated to boot............

solo all the way for me, until they're running the beam well......but it's each to their own...

everyones different has you know jd some paired up preban at first some run solo i had a educated bitch cry everytime the lamp went on and she was locked in the van yet never a peep if she was stood watching but like you say a dog run solo is getting all the attention and runs and doesnt get the same frustration has watching another run but some dont seem to bounce about but just watch and has a youngster learn to watch were the lamps going

But what is it 'learning'? IMO it's learning nothing and getting frustrated to boot............

solo all the way for me, until they're running the beam well......but it's each to their own...

A dog should learn that its not his right to run everytime and when its not his turn he needs to behave until his turn comes around. Ive been out with lads whos dogs start yapping when my dogs running because they have always been used to being slipped every time. I used to run two dogs.One on and one off the slip,taking it in turn to run a rabbit,and so getting lots more runs in a night.

• Like 2

I don't go lamping so can't comment on that exactly, but a young dog learns plenty from an older well behaved dog no doubt. Somebody mentioned can another dog learn to sit and stay from other, yes they can or certainly can help. If you have a pack of dogs and bring a pup in generally I have found the pup learns far faster than a pup brought on on its own and I am talking about everything from heel work to where to do its business. I would have thought taking a young dog along with an older dog would settle it if nothing else but as I say I don't lamp so no expert atb