Lamping

But what is it 'learning'? IMO it's learning nothing and getting frustrated to boot............

solo all the way for me, until they're running the beam well......but it's each to their own...

A dog should learn that its not his right to run everytime and when its not his turn he needs to behave until his turn comes around. Ive been out with lads whos dogs start yapping when my dogs running because they have always been used to being slipped every time. I used to run two dogs.One on and one off the slip,taking it in turn to run a rabbit,and so getting lots more runs in a night.

Hi Jeemes, you are correct about a dog's manners, but I think that they should have those manners before they even start lamping. We each do things our own little way and as long as you're happy then that's all that matters....... Happy lamping...JD :victory:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PILOT dogs?

Don't take this as a pop or attack. Genuine questions... Pretend it's from someone else if you prefer. Lol...   What are they learning?   A young dog will already be keen to run (or should be?)

Had a couple of offers but they have been too far away (Scotland)   Going to try and meet up with a fella whos pretty local.   Am not even that fussed if people didn't want me to take the dog I wo

u must look at the age of the pup a few live ones brought back for the pup to learn on :thumbs: my veiw they must allways have easy and if your lucky to have some plough around you with rabbits on good for young dogs/bitchs

but as said every man has hes own way :thumbs:

Cheers for the replies lads and PM's sent been really helpful.

The reason I started this topic was not just for the dog but to also teach me a few things when out lamping like when to slip, where to stand in the field ect ect.

I am not a complete novice but the point in the right direction would be a massive help from somebody who has done it for years.

Had the dog out the other night for an hour and managed 3 runs with one resulting in a catch. His retrieve was a lot better and I think hes improving all the time. I just thought it might have helped taking him out with another more experienced dog and owner to see if we could learn a few things.

Hes not the best dog out there and he never will be, but i enjoy being out with him and watching him work so that will do me :)

Doesnt bother sheep/cattle so thats an added bouns lol

• Like 2

Cheers for the replies lads and PM's sent been really helpful.

The reason I started this topic was not just for the dog but to also teach me a few things when out lamping like when to slip, where to stand in the field ect ect.

I am not a complete novice but the point in the right direction would be a massive help from somebody who has done it for years.

Had the dog out the other night for an hour and managed 3 runs with one resulting in a catch. His retrieve was a lot better and I think hes improving all the time. I just thought it might have helped taking him out with another more experienced dog and owner to see if we could learn a few things.

Hes not the best dog out there and he never will be, but i enjoy being out with him and watching him work so that will do me :)

Doesnt bother sheep/cattle so thats an added bouns lol

Good attitude fella :victory:

Cheers, D.

• Like 2

What a dog can learn from watching is that the rabbit is always in the beam.

Personally I start my pups lamping on their own and just persist until they're going well BUT when you get a pup that gets unsighted on every turn and often just charges off into the darkness, even when slipped right on top, then a spell watching an experienced dog can work wonders.

If you have an adjustable width beam then using a wider beam for a few outings is also good for those pups that don't like looking into the light. :thumbs:

Edited by Maximus Ferret

Had a couple of offers but they have been too far away (Scotland)

Going to try and meet up with a fella whos pretty local.

Am not even that fussed if people didn't want me to take the dog I would happily tag along just to learn field positioning ect and learn a few tips.

Am not a daft lad and I know the basics like walking into the wind ect but wouldnt mind learning a few more things and using it with my dog to bring the best out of him :)

• Like 3