Ive enquired about made dogs before and asked for a trial. Ive been told if i was giving a trial the dog would be worth 600/700 instead of the 250 Im asking. my answer was always I will gladly pay that amount in your hand at the end of a successful dig no problem. Its funny but ive never been taken up on it..the phone usually goes down or an excuse comes up..but over the years ive come to realise that buying a made dog is a bit of an empty victory anyway.. I know a proper working earth dog is as hard to come by as a derby winner,and some folk are lucky first time but i wasnt and myself and son have spent lots and travelled miles,but when you do rear a pup and get a good one and you get to hear that bay for the first time in the ground all the misery and frustration of the previous years slip away.You cant buy that feeling,not for a million.

I personally wouldn't part with that cash on one dig one swift don't make a summer 100per cent dogs just ain't for sale if it is 100per cent there mates would have it like said before you can all ways make room for a good un

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do you put a value on the years of blood sweet and tears of failures and loosing good dogs to ground and just when you dare think you might of got the one, for some shitehouse that's been in the

Over the years I've been fortunate enough to witness some very good dogs . I'm a gamekeeper and although I have terriers myself , none are top 100% dogs , bolters and spewers . But they serve me ok .

well this is just my opinion, but its also a lot to do with what one describes as a "working terrier" !!   It seems that most of the people now a days ASSUME they have a working terrier, simply j

There are circumstances that you may just by chance be in the right place at the right time and pick up a good worker for small money.A mate of mine years back had bought a russell dog on trial and was not uo to scratch so we went back with her.As we were about to leave the mans yard i just happened to mention if there were any other terriers about for sale that might suit our needs,The man in question then told us of a chap that lived on our route home that recently had a heart by pass and was geting shut of all his dogs and that he may have what we required.We went to this man and spent about 2 hours talking dogs with him before coming away with a 3 year old patt bitch that had 2 seasons behind her and the cost was £40,this was 20 year ago.As my mate did not like the black dogs he left the bitch with me and she was everything the man had said she was,good honest working terrier that stayed with me until she was 7-8 before been stolen.I felt sorry for that man that night as just by chatting with him you could tell he loved his hunting and his dogs but health had taken its toll on him and he had no choice but to sell of his dogs,he actually wanted us to take for nowt a proven working lurcher but we had enough big dogs so bid him farewell and wished him well in the future and we were off.

• Like 5

This is what i think my dogs are priceless but when you see people wanting these terriers then say sorted now what type of money are they paying or are they getting pure shit thinking its a world beater then findin out its jacked

Over the years I've been fortunate enough to witness some very good dogs . I'm a gamekeeper and although I have terriers myself , none are top 100% dogs , bolters and spewers . But they serve me ok . I've had some good lads come on the estate I keeper , and there is one thing I've noticed , they are dedicated . They live and breath their dogs . They might do a bit of fishing in the off season , but apart from that their whole life seems to be terriers . I've been offered pups from some guys but I've had to turn them down because they would be too much dog for me . I'm quite content to leave the digging to them when they visit . But there was never talk of money changing hands . That's not what they are about and they breed very seldom , but not for money just to improve the line and replace old dogs and bring young ones on . Money is a dirty word in terrier circles , it's hard to come by a good un and why should a fist full of dollars buy what these guys spend their lives working for . Get to know a good terrier man , get an invite and prove you are trustworthy and committed and maybe just maybe you will be gifted a good pup with potential .

• Like 11

I know of many a decent digging dog gifted to mates and spare littermates sold for a decent price,why is that such a problem for some?,the money made from the odd pup is a welcome bonus to some,its rarely the reason for breeding and will seldom cover the costs involved with raising a litter,yet id not turn down a little brass in my pocket from the odd pup.

• Like 1

I know of many a decent digging dog gifted to mates and spare littermates sold for a decent price,why is that such a problem for some?,the money made from the odd pup is a welcome bonus to some,its rarely the reason for breeding and will seldom cover the costs involved with raising a litter,yet id not turn down a little brass in my pocket from the odd pup.

I don't think no ones talking about selling the odd spare pup , I thinks it's more to do with buying or selling a made dog or at least one that's a possible grafter . Edited by marshman

I don't think no ones talking about selling the odd spare pup , I thinks it's more to do with buying or selling a made dog or at least one that's a possible grafter .

Pup or entered terrier id rather have one gifted than pay,yet at times some don,t have the luxury some of us take for granted and have to dig deep to source the required mutt.Some of the prices quoted are obscene,yet if somebody is willing to pay the price there will always be somebody willing to sell,seriously id find it difficult to turn down £1000 for a terrier,especially when i have the resource to breed another,the most ive sold a terrier for is £150,possibly what mine are worth perhaps.

Edited by morton

I don't think no ones talking about selling the odd spare pup , I thinks it's more to do with buying or selling a made dog or at least one that's a possible grafter .

Pup or entered terrier id rather have one gifted than pay,yet at times some don,t have the luxury some of us take for granted and have to dig deep to source the required mutt.Some of the prices quoted are obscene,yet if somebody is willing to pay the price there will always be somebody willing to sell,seriously id find it difficult to turn down £1000 for a terrier,especially when i have the resource to breed another,the most ive sold a terrier for is £150,possibly what mine are worth perhaps.
let me tell ya if you've got a terrier that can be dug to for £150 I'll be a buyer ?.

let me tell ya if you've got a terrier that can be dug to for £150 I'll be a buyer .

If i had a digging terrier now id gift it,fecking liability,you can have a bushing bolter if it pleases.

• Like 1

let me tell ya if you've got a terrier that can be dug to for £150 I'll be a buyer .

If i had a digging terrier now id gift it,fecking liability,you can have a bushing bolter if it pleases.
yer alright I know the digging game ain't for ya mate but I've still got the digging bug bad ?.
  • Like 1