• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do you put a value on the years of blood sweet and tears of failures and loosing good dogs to ground and just when you dare think you might of got the one, for some shitehouse that's been in the

Over the years I've been fortunate enough to witness some very good dogs . I'm a gamekeeper and although I have terriers myself , none are top 100% dogs , bolters and spewers . But they serve me ok .

well this is just my opinion, but its also a lot to do with what one describes as a "working terrier" !!   It seems that most of the people now a days ASSUME they have a working terrier, simply j

Over the years I've been fortunate enough to witness some very good dogs . I'm a gamekeeper and although I have terriers myself , none are top 100% dogs , bolters and spewers . But they serve me ok . I've had some good lads come on the estate I keeper , and there is one thing I've noticed , they are dedicated . They live and breath their dogs . They might do a bit of fishing in the off season , but apart from that their whole life seems to be terriers . I've been offered pups from some guys but I've had to turn them down because they would be too much dog for me . I'm quite content to leave the digging to them when they visit . But there was never talk of money changing hands . That's not what they are about and they breed very seldom , but not for money just to improve the line and replace old dogs and bring young ones on . Money is a dirty word in terrier circles , it's hard to come by a good un and why should a fist full of dollars buy what these guys spend their lives working for . Get to know a good terrier man , get an invite and prove you are trustworthy and committed and maybe just maybe you will be gifted a good pup with potential .

that's what the terrier world lacks guys like these. Good on then
  • Like 1

Good replies lads the point im putting across is not peddling dogs im just saying that when lads on here are after terrier for below ground put wanted ad up the say after while sorted now what price are they actually paying for them and did it do its job

Good replies lads the point im putting across is not peddling dogs im just saying that when lads on here are after terrier for below ground put wanted ad up the say after while sorted now what price are they actually paying for them and did it do its job

that another topic mate standards some people easily pleased

Personally I would be very sceptical about any dog offered as a 100% or rock solid dog on a forum . But it is all about standards , the lads I know have high standards and wouldn't sell a dog or gift a dog that didn't meet that standard , their name wouldn't be associated with sub standard stock . But having said that when I was younger and had my first terriers , looking back they were a poor lot . But I had loads of fun and some good sport , mooching and digging , two or three to ground . Horrendous really and bad practice , but it was the early eighties and we didn't know any better . There arnt any short cuts in terrier work , and I got my first serious dog from Brian Nuttal . That dog opened my eyes to what a proper earth dog should be . But I had booked that pup well in advance and took great care entering it , although I think it would have flown to ground at 9 months . When a pup that you have brought on starts working , and doing well it becomes the apple of your eye and a source of pride with your digging pals , and you can scence the appreciation and envy in them . So I can't think of a sum of money that would see me or any right minded terrier enthusiast part with good workers . Only the crap , and then it is down to honesty . Do you cull the crap or sell it to some mug on the internet .

• Like 4

Personally I would be very sceptical about any dog offered as a 100% or rock solid dog on a forum . But it is all about standards , the lads I know have high standards and wouldn't sell a dog or gift a dog that didn't meet that standard , their name wouldn't be associated with sub standard stock . But having said that when I was younger and had my first terriers , looking back they were a poor lot . But I had loads of fun and some good sport , mooching and digging , two or three to ground . Horrendous really and bad practice , but it was the early eighties and we didn't know any better . There arnt any short cuts in terrier work , and I got my first serious dog from Brian Nuttal . That dog opened my eyes to what a proper earth dog should be . But I had booked that pup well in advance and took great care entering it , although I think it would have flown to ground at 9 months . When a pup that you have brought on starts working , and doing well it becomes the apple of your eye and a source of pride with your digging pals , and you can scence the appreciation and envy in them . So I can't think of a sum of money that would see me or any right minded terrier enthusiast part with good workers . Only the crap , and then it is down to honesty . Do you cull the crap or sell it to some mug on the internet .

your right mate standards some people are happy digging a terrier 6 maybe 10 times a season and forgetting the dog failed double that in my eyes good dogs don't reach the computer never mind what people write on here they just don't and I'm talking good honest terriers
  • Like 1

Think of the feeling when you are 1.4 down about to break through and you lose the.signal and you look around and your dog who up to now has done well is stood in the mouth of the hole and won't go back , and you realise he's quit . That feeling is sickening . I don't like that feeling and I don't like digging a ruddy deep hole through Cotswold stone for nothing . So when you get a good dog in the team you keep it . It's that simple . Good dogs don't get sold on . Unless a change of domestic circumstances means someone has to let their dogs go . But that's different .

• Like 3

Think of the feeling when you are 1.4 down about to break through and you lose the.signal and you look around and your dog who up to now has done well is stood in the mouth of the hole and won't go back , and you realise he's quit . That feeling is sickening . I don't like that feeling and I don't like digging a ruddy deep hole through Cotswold stone for nothing . So when you get a good dog in the team you keep it . It's that simple . Good dogs don't get sold on . Unless a change of domestic circumstances means someone has to let their dogs go . But that's different .

surely.a mate would have it all ways make room for a goodun and I know that feeling only to well mate happens to us all
  • Like 1

You are bang on I've had dogs off mates and kept them till they were sorted .

A good dog will always find a home without being touted or sold off a forum .

your right there mate gooduns dont go far out side the circle

well everyone on here selling dogs must hunt by himself

• Like 2

You are bang on I've had dogs off mates and kept them till they were sorted .

A good dog will always find a home without being touted or sold off a forum .

your right there mate gooduns dont go far out side the circle

well everyone on here selling dogs must hunt by himself

or selling shit